Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: What Preamp Do You Prefer

You might not. When I'm just gigging with one instrument, I go straight from instrument to Red-Eye to PA. The Fire-Eye folks have done all the fine tuning so I don't have to. And when it doubt,...
  2. Replies
    Views

I don't gig too much anymore. I've installed JJB soundboard transducers (SBT's) in a whole bunch of instruments, including my mandolins, mandola, octave mandolins, mandocello, 4 fiddles, a ukulele,...
  3. Replies
    Views

I was real frustrated with all the preamps I'd bought and unloaded. The several folks here recommended the Fire-Eye Red-Eye. They engineer all the fine-tuning in so you don't have to. Always sounds...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings Vs. Northfield Vs. Kelley

I hope you love the Kelley and that it is everything you want and need from an instrument!
  5. Replies
    Views

I love this comment! I had a Bitterroot for a while, but it had too much of a bluegrass sound for my taste, so I sold it and bought a Yellowstone. There's something for everyone!

I think that...
  6. Replies
    Views

Well, you made a great choice. Congratulations! They are all tremendous and it depends on your own taste and music style. Sight unseen, I would have said Collings, but I haven’t owned the other...
  7. Replies
    Views

You'll love it.

And reach out to Skip to let him know. He's a great guy.
  8. Replies
    Views

Of course the subject of tone is always subjective, but I disagree that the categories of "modern" and "traditional" tone have no meaning whatsoever. Regardless of the other variables and how many...
  9. Replies
    Views

I had a Kelley that I sold to buy a concertina (long story). I have played a few Collings, but have never even seen a Northfield. I have played some Bitterroots too. The Kelley was head and...
  10. Replies
    Views

I’d buy the Kelley. Besides the fact that I’m drawn to the work of independent builders, and Skip is a heckuva nice guy here on the Cafe, a used instrument should already have the depreciation taken...
  11. Replies
    Views

In my personal opinion, under your criteria of equal pricing, I’d get the one from the solo builder. Then you have a unique piece of acoustic art:mandosmiley:
  12. Replies
    Views

The NF5S has a mighty chop, volume, and a fundamental tone that cuts through well in ensemble playing. I think they shine in bluegrass settings but have the versatility to take on other styles as...
  13. Replies
    Views

Haven't played a Kelly, so can't help there. A Collings will also have a more modern tone, although it's different than the Weber tone. The Northfield NF-5S is going to be closer to what you want....
  14. Replies
    Views

My Kelley A5 is more traditional sounding than a Collings MT I used to own and other MTs I’ve played through the years. The Collings’ fit/finish was spectacular and it had great playability and...