Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Northfield Airloom Deluxe case 2.0 - what was improved?

Thank you for all the answers, it's much more clear now.

That sounds worrying. What's the point of having the case then if I always have to keep an eye on it and make sure nobody puts anything...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin 0-18T8 8 string tenor

Yes, but Pono has more shallow body and shorter scale length. I can't say I really like the sound though.
    I'd probably expect more bouzouki / Andy Irwine sound from longer scale and deeper body of...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin strings on a mandola?

I used to use standard D'Addario J74 for my Gibson tenor lute (which is long scale mandola, 21''). I felt that tension is a bit too high for an old instrument though, so I've ordered a set of custom...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Tenor Lute

Congrats, I agree that price is quite good, so, yes, you did great. I thought of bidding for a moment, but I don't like instruments lying around and not being played and I already have one lute :)
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Tenor Lute

I have one, converted it to double strings. It's the same neck, but I felt that single strings are not giving it enough power. I read that some of these were made with 8 strings, and I think this is...
  6. Re: Gig bag for Gibson Tenor Lute (or open back 11'' tenor)

Allen, the internal dimensions of the banjola bag are 37'' x 13'' which is a bit too big (i need more like 34'' x 11''), but so far it looks like the closest I can get :-(
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Campanella "Due" in the classifieds

There're a builder in the Netherlands who builds mandolin in the violin style - https://www.facebook.com/moustacheguitars/
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando/Guitar/Vocal Duos

The ones I would like to sound like are

Cahalen Morrison & Eli West:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky06lp2tXJU

Eamon O'Leary & Jefferson Hamer aka Murphy Beds:
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: octave mandola and tenor mandola ?

I'll try to generalize a bit:

Octave mandolin, instrument designed to be tuned GDAE (octave lower than mandolin), scale length 20-22''
    Mandola (Tenor mandola), instrument designed to be tuned...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Any recordings of 8-string tenor lutes?

Hi,

not really, I was not specific enough. What I mean is an instrument which was made by Gibson around 1924-1925 but didn't receive a lot of popularity - it's mandola body with tenor banjo neck -...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 Loar Gibsons suggestions needed.

As far as I know yours is also 4-string? Have you tried 8-string version? in theory it should be louder. I can't see why those lutes should be more quiet then mandolas (but never played one)
  12. Re: Tenor guitar scale length vs mandola scale length

Ok I got it, my confusion came from not enough knowledge, now I see that standard mandola strings are thicker than tenor guitar ones, that's why scale length difference

Thanks you guys, always...
  13. Re: Are there any 5-string tenors exist? Are there any vintage on

Fox,

thanks, I've just realized there's a nice way to put 5 banjo style tuners on a guitar head :)
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin Listening Suggestions

Just found this video yesterday - couple of jigs on octave mandolin. As I play a lot of irish, I should say that John is really good on ornamentation on OM, so nice tutorial as well :)

15. Replies
    Views

Sierra Hull on tenor guitar

http://www.facebook.com/SierraHullMusic/videos/10153992549597942

Not sure about model, some old Gibson?
    Looks like standard CGDA tenor tuning
  16. "Out on the Western Plain", Cathy Jordan on Tenor guitar

Great trio, all the members are quite famous musicians on ITM scene, they have awesome sound together. Some backup on tenor guitar here, so see no reason not to post it here

17. Replies
    Views

Andy Irvine accompaniment style

Probably this one was already asked a lot, but I still haven't found something useful for me (although this could be related to my skills or searching)

I'm interested of learning some of the Andy...
  18. Re: Henry Heller A Style Mandolin Strap / Lakota Leather

Ivan - there's a video on the Lakota Leather site about how to attach their straps to A style mandolin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2RuVq01jis