Search:

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Thoughts on Ry Cooder's New Recording - The Prodigal Son

Yes, I think it's a strong piece of work. I liked the video, as well. I've liked his use of the Mandolin from way back, before I started playing Mandolin. He plays some rhythm Mandolin on Straight...
  2. A formal hello, and my "new" Kentucky KM1000 Black Top

So I've posted a bit on here for help in my first mandolin search, but never actually said hello. Y'all were massively helpful in steering me clear of a few bad deals, and I've finally ended up with...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: "beater" mandos vs. case candy

Also worth noting that the 'collector's market' for Aria instruments is pretty much non-existent..... so no reason not to play it if you like it. The only time I'd consider a 'beater' instrument is...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Instruments, Cost & the Placebo Effect

There are many, many things to consider with instruments - sound, playability, build quality, to name just three.

Add to that, the comfort of the neck (that is, does the neck and nut width suit...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Snark tuner

They are the one and only tuner I have ever had simply 'break' in perfectly normal use. Both times at the same spot- the plastic ball joint. All the others I have seen that have broken have also been...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Stagg vs Ibanez

I am sorry that you reacted so negatively to the advice I gave you. And that others echoed. You seem to indicate that I did not understand where you were coming from, and that I didn't really answer...
  7. Thread: Stagg vs Ibanez

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

There is a reason most specialty stores like Gryphon won't stock much, if anything, below the KM 150 or Eastman 305 level.

I was in a well established violin store recently getting viola hardware...
  8. Replies
    Views

Don is spot on. +1000% to everything he says.

I'd just add one more thought. I teach mandolin here and have a local group of students, I see a lot arrive, initially, with these 'cheap' mandolins...
  9. Replies
    Views

Camronp , did you read my earlier post? I tried to be very clear about the differences. I will try one more time.

For 100-150 dollars spent on a Stagg, Ibanez, or any one of a hundred other brands...
  10. Thread: Stagg vs Ibanez

by Br1ck
    Replies
    Views

IMHO, the worst thing you can do is go cheap on your first mandolin. If you are not serious enough to get something like a KM 150, why would you want to expend your time and energy?

At the bare...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis F5 Special #380

Today is my six month anniversary of being the caretaker for this beautiful mandolin. It's been played every day, and I must say it sounds better than ever right now. Huge thanks to Tom Ellis for...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: No sir. You don't need an F mandolin...

At one point,going back many years,Gibson banjos were going downhill much as their mandolins were at that time. So much so,that SAGA Music decided to produce the first of the 'Gold Star' range of...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning to Flatt and Scruggs

Lester,Earl & the boys tunes up by a semi-tone according to what i read ages ago. Strangely,the very first Bluegrass band i ever heard back in 1963 ,''The Barrier Brothers'', did exactly the same. I...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone/Speed

I'm 100% self taught & while i knew that some tunes are meant to be played 'fast',i never purposely tried to pay them 'fast',it sort of crept up on me without me thinking about it. I'm sure that it...
  15. Replies
    Views

5 years and counting...

This January marks my 5th year of playing the mandolin. Like many here, I'd been playing guitars for decades, but as my interest in playing country and bluegrass guitar grew, the urge to try playing...
  16. Replies
    Views

Clinch Mountain Backstep

Playing Clinch Mountain Backstep with my dad. I am playing on my Silverangel mandolin. :mandosmiley:

jzR6lnjsjK0
  17. Re: Incoming... (Stepping outside of my comfort zone) - Mandolin

Welcome. I know you will like the Eastman. Come over and visit our 'Newbies' Social Group (social groups are found under the 'Listen / Learn' drop down menu up on the upper right side of the window)....
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Jacobson Nautilus Nordic-themed mandolin

Some Celtic stuff:
    PuU6yolhu_Y

Bach:
    ml4krGS4Iwc
  19. Replies
    Views

Ellis F5 Special #380

Starting a little corner where I can post videos of my spectacular new Ellis mandolin. As far as I know, she was completed in September, so only about two or three months old at this point. It's...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing for a year, still a beginner

Learn a bunch of fiddle tune melodies, and their chords. Play melodies and rhythm along with a backing track, there is a free bluegrass backing tracks website that will let you play along and slow...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Good pickup for live work?

I've used both the K&K Twin and the JJB PPS-200. Build and sound quality are equal. JJB costs less and is a smaller round head (available in 15 mm or 20 mm diameter). The 15 mm JJB fits in my...
  22. Replies
    Views

Good pickup for live work?

Hi folks,

99% of the time I play in my own house or with some friends in a small acoustic jam.

However, every now and then I stand in with a local country rock band, playing electric guitar and...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: No Band Rehearsal?

Many years ago when Bill Clifton was still living in the UK,i asked him about how banjo players came up with their breaks - ''do they make one up on the spot,or do they practice making a break up''....
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky KM 150

Someone I am currently teaching purchased a KM-150 just a few weeks ago. Apart from some setup (tweaking nut slots, etc.) it needed very little. The supplied hardware is "good enough"! The bridge was...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Studying Bill Monroe

:popcorn:

Here we go again... :(
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4