Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Birthday, Mandolin Cafe!

Thanks to everyone at Mandolin Cafe for the many many hours of interesting reading, helpful tips, wonderful music and the opportunity to gather (figuratively) with fellow mandolin players. You have...
  2. Re: Why do some higher end mandos return to the market so quickly

I agree. There is the "thrill of the chase" that doesn't linger once you obtain such target instrument. I think that's the essence of GAS and MAS. Strangely, I have had bouts of GAS but not MAS. ...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What is this pick?

I, too, liked that pick in Sampler #2. I suspect it might be buffalo horn. I tried one in that material years ago and liked it.
  4. Re: New Member, new mando, question about picks....

+1 on the pick sampler. It's so much easier to learn what works for you without a large investment in picks.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

Sorry for your loss of your cat. Loving a pet is one of the most satisfying relationships you can ever have, and one of the most sorrowful when you must say farewell.
  6. Thread: Hearing aids

by Rdeane
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing aids

Whatever brand hearing aids you get, try to get them with a speciallized program for music. It makes a huge difference in your enjoyment of sound when you're playing an instrument. For years I...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

This is going to be great! I'm on the list and look forward to trying out some BC's that I haven't tried before. Thanks for arranging that, Mark.
  8. Thread: Hearing aids

by Rdeane
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing aids

I visited my audiologist yesterday. My hearing had declined (apparent even with my hearing aids on) and I was sure I needed a tweak. Only one ear had noticeably declined, thankfully, and she was...
  9. Re: Recommendations for a resonant, deep bodied mandolin under 90

Don't overlook a Mid-Missouri in good condition. They are virtually the same as Big Muddy--made by the same guy. Same quality build.
  10. Thread: Pick Talk

by Rdeane
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Talk

I really like Dawg picks. The size, shape and tone are excellent.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet another Thomastik-Infield string question

+1 on the dEFW74's. They feel and sound great on my MT2. Seem to last a long time, too.
  12. Re: Rare Circular Shaped Tuning Machine German Made Mandolin

Those knobs look just like the knobs on an old dresser I have. Wierd.
  13. Replies
    Views

Darren Nicholson and Friends

Last night I went to see Darren Nicholson (of Balsam Range) at West Jefferson, NC. It is a small auditorium, and I was able to get 3rd row center seats. Darren Nicholson was performing with Audie...
  14. Thread: Pick Boxes

by Rdeane
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Boxes

This came with catnip filled toy fish. Cats loved it. I like this because it's large enough to hold all the picks I need and it's a little weird.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik Medium Flatwound Strings

er
    I haven't tried the TI's yet, but on my Collings MT2 I really like the FW74's. The A string could be a bit sweeter, but overall I like the tone. I like that they seem to take out the brashness...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Another Andrew Marlin song on the Mowry

Very well done!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: This feels like a scam

I have had a similar scam proposed on CL. First they want the item at the price you asked. Then they say for some reason they can't pick it up but want you to hold it for for their friend, brother,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for chording with a hard(ish) pick?

I use a Dunlop Primetone 1.5 smooth triangle and use the small sticky dots that you put on the pick itself. I tried Gorilla Snot but don't like how it feels. The dots work well. I don't recall what...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Lemonade - Original Instrumental

I thoroughly enjoyed listing to Lemonade.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: New Eastman Gig Bag

A couple of years ago I bought a Levy's mandolin gig bag. It's really well made and fits my mandolin with tone guard and strap and arm rest. If the Eastman doesn't work for you, you might want to...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Blind test of 6 different bowlbacks

In order of preference: 5, 6,3,4,2, 1
    I enjoyed your playing!
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave mandolin less-expensive choices

I purchased an APC last summer from Moloney Music in Ireland. It was a very nice instrument, but after a few months I realized it wasn't for me. I didn't like the scale length (21-1/2") so I sold...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What's in your case?

- Altoids box with a Dawg pick, ProPlec 1.5 large triangle pick, a Primetone 1.5 smooth brown large triangle pick
    - a cleaning/polishing cloth
    - a truss rod Allen wrench
    - a McClung arm rest...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

Yikes! That's expensive. I appreciate your feedback. I have since sold the octave to someone who will play it more than I will.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin teachers

I've taken mandolin lessons for about 3 years from Kip Snow at Counterpoint Music in Mocksville, NC. He is an excellent instructor and provides a laid-back, positive atmosphere. He is a performing...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3