Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

Some months ago This topic came up in a conversation with Marla Fibish - an internationally known Irish mandolinist. Her suggestion: “no need to play all the notes” - just play the important ones.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

Hello, fellow New Hampshirite! I think relaxing works for me, try not to think about the tunes as notes, but as sound (if you know what I mean). Knowing the tunes well enough comes in handy as well. ...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What makes strings go sharp?

Interesting! I hadn't thought of this. Sounds like it's time for a single subject repeated measures experiment with tuning order as an independent variable...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson's 1923 F-5 Master Model Reissue

I haven't played one so I won't comment on tone. but these claims are quite bold:

"Thanks to scientific analysis, 3D scanning of original models, and Loar’s production notes from the Gibson...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Church Praise Band Question

I wasn't going to jump into this discussion, but having been in praise bands for over 20 years, I have a little insight into the problem. The band I spent the most time with would have had space for...
  6. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

I had a very bad experience taking my Martin guitar to a gig at negative 10F. It went from the house to the warmed up car and from the car to the gig and vice versa. There was not more than four...
  7. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

No.

A student of mine had a good late 40's Gibson guitar, and left it in his car all day in a parking garage on a 20 degree day.
    When he showed up for his lesson, I saw light through the...
  8. Re: Could I leave mando in car in winter while skiing?

Depends. Is it a Rogue or a Gilchrist?

I wouldn't want the Mando to sleep any colder than me. Will it get lonely and perhaps go with a passing stranger? I've heard they sometimes do that.
  9. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

Hi guys,

I’m keeping it. I’m working it out with the vendor and it will end up being a pretty sweet deal.

Just so you know, after they contacted me earlier in the week, they said that their...
  10. Re: the gibson master model 2001 signed by danny roberts

Probably not this complicated: https://web.archive.org/web/20210518070633/https://www.mandozine.com/media/CGOW/derrington.html . This way is easier: https://mandozine.com/media/CGOW/derrington.html
  11. Re: the gibson master model 2001 signed by danny roberts

OK, so I'm not the only one.
  12. Re: the gibson master model 2001 signed by danny roberts

I’m getting a blank page
  13. Re: the gibson master model 2001 signed by danny roberts

Is the mandozine link working for anyone? It's not working for me.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: NMC: Double Bass crack repair?

A+

Possibly the greatest moment in their career is the moment when a repair person learns to say, "No thank you."
  15. Re: Hopefully better questions about Brazilian Rosewood

Your photo did not upload.

When I go to fancy guitar shows these days, everyone acts like they are Pablo Escobar selling wood behind the scenes. Counterfeit documentation and receipts from the pre...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Top Current Makers

James Condino belongs also. He has added so much to the mandolin builders knowledge base due to his ever inventive mind.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

One of my favorite Frank quotes.... He often said when he sold a brand new instrument to someone "It'll never look better and it'll never sound worse.". I've used that one several times.
    If you've...
  18. Replies
    Views

Djammin' with Django and Miles and Bill and Tony and Lloyd tonight.

Rest in peace Frank, I always enjoyed our interactions and laughter.
  19. Replies
    Views

One of the great gentlemen of the stringed instrument world. Rest in peace, Frank.
  20. Replies
    Views

One of the kindest, wittiest, talented and finest humans to walk the planet, and a legend in the music community. You left people and their musical instruments better for knowing you. Rest easy Frank.
  21. Replies
    Views

RIP Frank Ford

Gryphon Stringed Instruments has announced that Frank Ford passed away this afternoon.

https://www.facebook.com/gryphonstrings
  22. Re: Supporting each other's online presence...

Interesting, but not something this site is willing to engage in as you see it, and we will explain.

First off, the Mandolin Cafe is intended first and foremost as a place to share information,...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Questions about "Automatic" Tuners

Thanks for pointing that out - if automatic tuners were so great, Gibson and other guitar makers would still be using them.

I agree about using one's ear....or at least a standard tuner.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Questions about "Automatic" Tuners

Gibson tried that. Here’s a video of Gibson crushing some auto tune guitars https://www.nme.com/news/watch-gibson-smash-hundreds-guitars-with-construction-truck-2534722

Maybe it’s time hasn’t...
  25. Re: D'Addario EFT74 strings discontinued - does anyone know why?

Yep, he uses the same pick I use.
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4