Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Article: The Original Hippies, Homer & Jethro, a 1971 Intervi

I can make a pretty educated guess as to which mandolin Jethro is playing on the Playing it straight album - Big Red. I took lessons from him in 1975 and as far as I could tell, he only owned that...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Aquisto two point mandolin

Don't know if anyone is still watching this thread. I was in Stan's shop, looking to buy a D'Angelico he had forever on the web. It was a dog. I played everything that was worth anything including...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The Emigrant's Adieu

To the definition of folk music, or at least a partial definition, I attended a workshop almost 25 years ago with Robin Bullock on "learning to play by ear". His method was to pick out key notes of...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Emigrant's Adieu

Richard,

At the urging of DougC, I just finished watching this amazing video. I was thoroughly engaged from start to end. I echo the previous posters' accolades to the content, production and...
  5. Replies
    Views

Standard Notation for Tunes

About a year ago, I found a website called musescore.com. It has thousands - maybe hundreds of thousands, of scores available. I have searched across many genres - Irish, Scottish, bluegrass, French...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Counterfeit D'Addario Strings from Amazon

There are a number of hard working and dedicated online and brick and mortar retailers who sell mandolins, guitars and all kinds of accessories. They often take risks carrying arcane inventory and...
  7. Replies
    Views

A really fine and revealing interview. I...

A really fine and revealing interview.

I traveled from Wisconsin twice to the "city" and took detours both times to Staten Island to see Mandolin Bros. - an institution whose ads I have watched,...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Good word for Peterson Strobe Tuners

Just have to add - after inquiring about where to submit payment, I was told the the Tech fixed it at no charge. This was clearly out of warranty, stated or implied, and the damage was caused by my...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Good word for Peterson Strobe Tuners

Got my repaired tuner in the mail today. I have had this StroboClip for a year or two - can't remember the exact date or even vendor. I took a long trip with a Sweet Pea and stuck it in the zipper...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: An Evening with The Andy Statman Trio

Scott,

What a great story - it reminded me of the experience Nancy and I had at the synagogue.

In February 2007, Andy came to Wisconsin and did a workshop in our home. People came from all over...