Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge posts leaning

The action height, absolutely changes intonation. It can be pretty extreme.

Since I am almost always working on instruments that need complete setups, my work flow goes something like...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Compensated bridge for a cafe-member's Vega cylinderback:
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Finger plane designs - prototypes etc.

This is all looking really great. I'll offer my $.02, FWIW. I think the handle angle is too high. I'm thinking it might be better if it were down at about 30 degrees where you'd have more forward...
  4. Replies
    Views

I thought you might be interested in this simple design to add to your ideas.

http://i.imgur.com/gpgHDkb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Thb4h5X.jpg

I like the thicker than usual blade iron on this...
  5. Thread: carving first top

by HoGo
    Replies
    Views

Re: carving first top

The links led me into watching how other folks are carving and I must tell I'm quite surprised that simple gouge and eye has somewhat gone out of fashion. Carving back from 3/4" thick plank of maple...
  6. Replies
    Views

I think one thing to watch out for is to keep the line of force that pushes the plane forward either at the blade or behind/below it… right now you have the handle pushing it in front of the blade… I...
  7. Replies
    Views

I suspect your screw adjustment mechanism will wear out fairly quickly. It will probably be difficult to get good engagement given the thickness of the blade that you have to work with. Choice of...
  8. Replies
    Views

I'd keep is simple as well. The wood sole is not good idea. I made a bunch of fingerplanes myself and even those with ebony soles did wear rather quickly. They are used over ridges of gouge carved...
  9. Replies
    Views

It takes some time with a palm knob to build the skill to control the cut, so knobs tend to be more useful for some aspects of finger planing but as mentioned they can seem awkward unless one...
  10. Replies
    Views

'nice work there alfie. There's a lot of personal preference in plane design. Perhaps you can offer some choices. Personally, I like the simple traditional style fingerplanes ala George Walters.
  11. Replies
    Views

Personally, I don't like the wooden sole idea. These things make a lot of trips over the wood to do their work, and they wear. The Ibex planes I have are bronze (not brass), the the one I use the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Here are my reactions, Alfie.
    Number one will be hard on the fingers. Elegant little design, though.
    Have not seen an adjustment like that, built into the blade. Over time the pressure of planing...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge Tilting Forward

Go back and tell this guy to put a new set on at his cost. He screwed up and he should make it right. If he says no, contact the owner of the store. If the owner says no go find another store to do...
  14. Re: how even can I expect to get an amber shellac finish?

Darker grades of shellac are almost impossible to apply evenly by hand (french polishing). You can probably get better results with thinned solution and many thin applications (20 or so ) with...
  15. Re: how even can I expect to get an amber shellac finish?

It definitely looks fine to my eyes & Bob Clark got it right ! - Well done,
    Ivan
  16. Re: how even can I expect to get an amber shellac finish?

Applying the color in a greater number of less-tinted layers will give you a more even finish, whether applied by hand or sprayed. But I agree with John, if you want to do it by hand, accept it...
  17. Re: how even can I expect to get an amber shellac finish?

Just to confuse you with a different perspective... I've been through the same difficulty with similar results to yours and decided I couldn't live with the blotchiness (particularly around the...
  18. Re: how even can I expect to get an amber shellac finish?

How even do you want it? It looks fine to me. It looks hand done. "Perfectly" even would look more like plastic.
    For a more even look, you could spray the shellac, or you could "tone" (amber dye)...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

In one shop, refinishing an older spirit varnished instrument with Enduro-Var:

And in the other shop, a 3d printed skeleton scanned from a live rat. Pretty cool.
  20. Re: Graduations for A-style oval hole mandolin

21. Re: Comparing vintage (tortoiseshell) and modern picks...

Interesting, as you say little to choose -main highlight for me is how nice that instrument is I love the shape and the sound, but why the sound port on the bottom?

Might have been different if...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Afraid to play for others - advice?

The fact that public speaking is no problem is a dead giveaway: in emergencies, your declarative memory takes over (good at thinking and speaking, but not for playing music). Playing is for...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Price Haggling??

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

John Ruskin
  24. Re: Would you have used this piece of wood ?. - No mando.content.

Quite common, actually...

The Castelbarco Strad cello has a large inclusion in the poplar (or is it willow?) back, all filled in with mastic...
    Sounds lovely, even when I tried to play it... ...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Dipping my toe in the water

Always be open to learning from both the "traditional" methods and those you discover on your own. Each of us involved in the art of Lutherie have used both to achieve what we have. The more you...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3