Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Neutralising Vinegar?

acetic acid (in vinegar) is volatile and will evaporate with a little time.
    If you can't smell it, it's gone.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Neutralising Vinegar?

Yes, bicarb would be ideal and very mild - once it stops fizzing all the acid is gone.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Fingerboard Attachment

A few points I haven't seen mentioned.
    -Removing a fingerboard attached with epoxy is not a problem. Joints made with the epoxies we normally use can be easily reversed with heat.
    -The biggest...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Fingerboard Attachment

I know it is one of those contentious issues, but my main reason for using epoxy is that it does not add any moisture into the fretboard/neck join. I have had longer (cittern/bouzouki) necks move...
  5. Thread: Finger planes

by murrmac
    Replies
    Views

Re: Finger planes

I like Wayne Henderson's approach

https://vimeo.com/13184455
  6. Re: Luthiers, where do you want your combined bridge/saddle heigh

Set your bridge to it's mid point of adjustment, then measure the string height at the 12th fret. From that measurement, subtract your desired string height at the 12th fret. (For example, suppose...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Action Magically Lowers

As I read the OP he had not used the other 4 strings for sometime.
  8. Replies
    Views

Very true. Worth noting however that it's not so much "weakening" as that the very act of removing mass from the sides of the fretboard serves to displace the location of the neutral axis to lower...
  9. Replies
    Views

It doesn't work that way. Reducing mass from the sides would only change by creating more relief by weakening if any change at all. That would make action [string height] higher. Removing from the...
  10. Replies
    Views

The bigger question is what was ther relief like before and is there relief now. Is there a backbow? Either way, a truss rod adjustment can return the neck to where it was before, if there is indeed...
  11. Replies
    Views

What the others said. Neck and truss rod produce a compound tension stable at a certain relief. If you change one you must change the other to maintain the relief. Take a look along the neck to check...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning Machines

If you want an answer in 25 words or less, the closest you will get to that is re-reading my post #39.

There are at least two things that tuner mass affects; (1) the balance of the mandolin, and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning Machines

Rubners are awesome, smoothest tuners I have ever seen. Excellent value with no downsides. The plating and machining are some of the best I have seen anywhere. I think they are at least as good as...
  14. Thread: Neck Skewed

by murrmac
    Replies
    Views

Re: Neck Skewed

You will get better results by actually pulling the strip of sandpaper through the joint , while holding the neck against the body.

The strips need to be reinforced on the back with parcel tape to...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Confused About Bridge Compensation

Answer is yes, you can.
    The amount of compensation required depends on type of strings, gauge of strings and action.
    Bowlbacks often do fine without compensation, just with angled saddle like...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandola vs. Mandolin

The Mandola is bigger. Bigger is better. In a toe-to-toe contest the Mandola will destroy a mandolin. However, Mandolas are afraid of Octave Mandolins and terrified of Mandocellos...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 3D printing radius dishes?

He wants them out of plastic
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: 3D printing radius dishes?

I think he just wants to 3d print a simple radiused dish like you would use for the top or back of a D18, I would actually like to have those made out of some type of durable plastic rather than the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Just bent my first sides

My first set went perfectly too, but don't expect that to happen again. The second time around you'll go through a half dozen sides. You'll finally get it right after you quit trying so hard to...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Just bent my first sides

'Used a heat blanket and am surprised at how easy it was' Sign of the times I guess !!! If that's your first set of sides, you really don't know how easy it was because you've never cracked 163...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Two Bolts In Mando Neck?

There should be room for two and I would use two to reduce any twisting.
    Bill
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave Mandolin Listening Suggestions

Dude, quite enjoyable, thanks for sharing!!
  23. Thread: Finger planes

by kjbllc
    Replies
    Views

Re: Finger planes

if you are feeling adventurous,
    http://toolmonger.com/2007/07/30/how-to-make-your-own-finger-plane/