Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: The Weber Bridge (NFI)

I have the Weber on one mandolin, and have or have had standards on all others (some I still have and some sold), which include a KM-1000, Gibson F5G, Collings MF, and Pava F5 - so not cheap garbage...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Patterns in Sitka Spruce Top

Is ray fleck and medullary rays the same thing?

And then there's bear claw, which I like but have only had in guitars, like this one:
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Patterns in Sitka Spruce Top

It's called ray fleck. It is an anatomical feature of wood made up of cell groups that radiate from center to bark. They are visible to the naked eye in some woods and not in others. In spruce (and...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando friendly music stores Portland OR

I believe Cartwright's is closed, or at least its Google Maps listing says it's closed . . . Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, this is something I'd love to be wrong about!
  5. Replies
    Views

A little bit of a trip, but Troubadour Music in Corvallis (about hour and a half south of PDX). Along with several nice mandolins (including my Trinity Octave for sale) Kent has a wonderful...
  6. Replies
    Views

What a bummer. Portland used to be full of mandolins when I lived there. There lots of shops & a great community of builders- John Sullivan and several other mandolin specific along with an ocean of...
  7. Replies
    Views

was just looking - it's been more than 10 years since Pioneer Music closed - they had great guitars and often some decent mandolins (I bought an F-9 from them).
    Apple Music row closed in 2015 -...
  8. Replies
    Views

Same distance as driving to Seattle, but less traffic…you could head east to see what Sonny Morris has in his shop in Irrigon, OR
    (Though he usually only has a couple of instruments since they seem...
  9. Replies
    Views

+1 on the comments above. Very little mando-wise between Seattle (Dusty Strings) and the Bay Area (Gryphon, Sylvan).

Depending on when you are visiting, there is likely to be some great music to...
  10. Replies
    Views

If you could spare one of the days you'll be in Portland, you could drive up to Seattle and visit Dusty Strings in Fremont. They have a great website that will give you a good look at the mandolins...
  11. Replies
    Views

What Bill said. Occasionally Strum or 12th Fret may carry something.
  12. Replies
    Views

Sadly, Portland is a mandolin desert for any shops that have anything beyond Eastman or Kentucky. Portland Music has a shop on NE Broadway dedicated to acoustic instruments. Probably your best bet...
  13. Replies
    Views

Garfield's Blackberry Blossom Sheet Music

Hey all,

Another Seattle Jam tune I worked up and figured I'd share. Garfield's Blackberry is a pretty fun tune with some quirky notes that give it a real unique character. Definitely worth a...
  14. Leo Lindblom's brand new Silverangel mandolin - by Ken Ratcliff

As many of you know, there was a post on the cafe recently that Ken Ratcliff was giving away one of his handmade Silverangel mandolins to a young mandolin picker and he asked me to share a clip of my...
  15. Re: "VBulletin" at top of page, instead of MandoCafe graphic

See screen shot.

On desktop computers there's a pull-down menu in the left bottom corner. Yours is set to vB4 Default Style which is why you're seeing this. Switch it to mandolin.

On a phone...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Back removal

And if it sounds good, nobody will ever care.
  17. Re: Mandolin player wanted for established band

:disbelief: I imagine serious candidates might want to know the name of the band, size and instrumentation, and maybe the kind of music you play. :disbelief:
  18. Replies
    Views

Most recent build Hagerty #9

Here is #9
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: The newest hot mandolin accessory!

If only Bill Monroe had one way back ....................
  20. Replies
    Views

Easy Jazz chords

21. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner staining & finishing

I use alcohol dyes, for no particular reasons except that they are all I've ever used, and they will mix with shellac and other spirit varnishes; and also that they can be mixed with lacquer if you...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass Tunes with 6 2 5 1 progression

Well, seeing as how all the ones that popped into my head right off have been mentioned already - "Salty Dog," "Deal" - plus a few others that incorporate the progression though feature other chord...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Apitius Mandolins

I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet. I'd be interested if Oliver wasn't literally putting the finishing touches on mine as we speak.
  24. Re: Norman Blake & Saint Elmo Slim - T.A.G. Railroad Rag

The mandolin is a Lyon & Healy style B with stairstep or art-deco peghead, 13 3/4" scale, and a low 3 digit serial number.
    The bridge has an ivory saddle inlaid into it, which appears to be factory...
  25. Norman Blake & Saint Elmo Slim - T.A.G. Railroad Rag

If I could play like this just once I would call my musical career accomplished.
    I believe that's a Lyon and Healy style C maybe?

PyB7Jlfm6yY
Page 1 of 2 1 2