Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Big ol' baby looking for reassurance

Also note that vintage instruments from GC have only a three day return window. I don’t know if this is the same for any used instrument, but good to pay attention when you purchase from them.
  2. Re: Looking for a good mid-level octave mandolin..

I have an older Trinity OM that has a decent sound and playability. Used ones can be picked up for a reasonable price. I have mine out on the couch so I can play it when I wander by. A good entry...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Cafe Hat

I just used a 3ft bolt cutter I had recently used (and not put back) to carefully cut the button off. It was easy and the small rivet hole seems ok. I did this on an old hat that is approaching its...
  4. Replies
    Views

This question piqued my interest (and provided an excuse to procrastinate on starting some much-needed yard work). The fabric-covered button is called a 'Squatchee', also known as a squatcho. It...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: HOG SOL on SGW

Got my ebay Strad-O-Lin today and although the case, alas, doesn’t fit my 2-point SOL (the impetus for bidding), the new mandolin is a nice one. As such, my SAS has quieted slightly and I’ll not be...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: HOG SOL on SGW

My late wife was Annie (not the owner of this mandolin), so am tempted to bid, but as I have an eBay SOL arriving today (assuming FedEx is being honest), will probably pass (but maybe not!). Annie...
  7. Replies
    Views

I’d like to see the khaki ones again.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

I don’t know what art is, but I know what I like………mandolins!

Art should be part of everyone’s activities, whether it’s arranging what you make for dinner or how you plant your garden. Whatever...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: 1940s Strad-O-Lin

The seller offered $100 off, so I went ahead and took the bait, mostly because I wanted the case for my 2-point Strad-O-Lin (and I don’t have this particular SOL model :))). I expect it to be shipped...
  10. Re: Removing Adhesive Residue - 1930s Regal 'Custom Built'

Hi Brad -

If you can wait a couple of weeks until I get back home, I can send you some unused dynamo label material to test and see what works best to remove the glue. Once you know that, you...
  11. Re: either a little mandolin or really big tailpiece - Ebay

It’s a small instrument with a bottle gourd back. The gourd variety has various common names: dinosaur gourd, Caveman's Club, and Maranka Gourd.

Years ago I made a three stringed “cucurbitar” out...
  12. Replies
    Views

Stromberg Voisinet tuners explained

I now have three different Stromberg Voisinet mandolins, none of which have a complete set of functioning tuners. The nicer two have mahogany sides and back (laminate?) while the other appears to be...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: new trend?

Necroposting?
    To
    Certainly a case of raising the dead!

This has been a fun discussion and will make me a little more careful when responding to threads…..in theory, at least!
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: new trend?

I may have inadvertently necroposted by “thanking” a comment (not sure if that actually resurrects the thread) while looking for information on a particular topic.

I do appreciate when folks...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Stradolins

Well, the SOL I won on EBay came today. 211065 Overall, it’s in pretty good shape except for some fret wear. The fifth fret buzzes on the A and D strings, more pronounced on the A and goes pretty...
  16. Replies
    Views

I’ll take the tuners apart, clean them with naphtha, and apply a fine machine oil I got from Stew Mac. I also have some lemon oil specific for fretboards - also a standard treatment for a new...
  17. Replies
    Views

Hopefully, it won’t join the ranks of my mandolins that need to visit the luthier before I can play them!
  18. Replies
    Views

Well, my MAS flared up and, instead of attending to my chores today, I successfully bid on the Strad-O-Lin H-2011. Costing the princely sum of $13.50 in 1941, this represented 45 hours at minimum...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Andrea Radex Picks

Have ordered a few of these to try out. Will add one to each of the Cafe pick samplers as well. Thanks to all who have commented on these.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Blacktop Friday

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the Gibson black mandolins:
    210787 A4 and K2. The mandocello is a treat to play even with its baseball bat neck. It would be nice to have the matching H2...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this a Wegen pick?

I got a reply from Michel Wegen this morning and it’s not a Wegen. Michel pointed out the breaking spot (yellow circle below) showing that it’s an injection molded pick rather than hand-made like...
  22. Re: Any others here that started their mandolin/instrument later

It’s never too late to start learning anything (well, except maybe learning to behave!); just never enough time to learn about all the interesting stuff out there.

I was lucky to grow up with a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Last week was crazy busy, but finally got to start organizing sampler #2 on Saturday. It turns out I had forgotten how much time it would take (good thing I’m retired). Of course, I also had to mess...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: What kind of hat do I need?

I actually have a real top hat, so according to Journeybear, I “should” be able to play any kind of music. Unfortunately, my much-loved MandolinCafe cap got left at former girlfriend’s house and...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Sampler #2 arrived in this afternoon’s mail. Have a family gathering this weekend, so will play with it starting Monday. Yow!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4