Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Songs about moonshining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jot7VFR5As

I've always liked What a Waste of Good Corn Liquor as sung by Jason Carter.
  2. Thread: Jethro and friends

by KEB
    Replies
    Views

Re: Jethro and friends

Decided to look for videos of Jethro playing with one of my favorite comedy/folk guitar pickers - Steve Goodman, and came across this video on Youtube. I see it hasn't been shared in here in a while...
  3. Thread: Studying Sam Bush

by KEB
    Replies
    Views

Re: Studying Sam Bush

Jake Howard had some videos up on his Patreon with Bush rhythm stuff transcribed and worked up. It was really good material. I think many of these videos (most? all?) are available on his youtube,...
  4. Re: Any good music US festivals in late May/early June?

Delfest is Memorial Day weekend-- the last weekend in May and usually has a good and eclectic lineup of mandoliny bands-- its definitely in the "wide definition of bluegrass" and has some "old...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Nugs Net Streaming & Acoustic Disc

Nugs is a subscription streaming service that focuses on live music. They have some albums, but it's mostly live recordings like grateful dead, pearl jam, and billy strings.

There's a lot of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Willie Nelson’s Bluegrass Album

I heard this was the first album he'd recorded in decades on a steel string guitar. I have to confess that I wasn't listening too much to guitar tone, so I didn't notice.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Willie Nelson’s Bluegrass Album

FWIW, I thought Rob Ickes was a standout instrumentally on the album. I've only given it a listen and a half, so maybe I missed something, but he stood out to me.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: 90% of us can’t do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsRgZRjJfts

I long to look as happy as Donna Stoneman playing. Fairly sure my face is about as expressive as her banjo picking sister though.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in Peace Bobby Osborne

Sad to lose someone like him but also — he was lucky enough to be able to pick and sing at a high level all the way up to his last days and seemed to happy and sharp. Not much more we can hope for in...
  10. Replies
    Views

Rest in Peace Bobby Osborne

Just got confirmation and seeing it online, but we lost another amazing picker, singer, and guy this week. Bobby was one of the greats, and he will be missed.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Trouble with Chords

Mark Guntner gave you the correct info, but in practical terms those additional numbers generally add an extra richness to the chords and don't change their essential nature. You can get away with...
  12. Thread: Gibson F5G

by KEB
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F5G

You did a great job lighting those photos to make the flame stand out beautifully-- too bad you can't play that mandolin with the back facing the audience because it's gorgeous!
  13. Thread: Chop chords help

by KEB
    Replies
    Views

Re: Chop chords help

Jake Howard of the Henhouse Prowlers is starting a video lesson session on Sam Bush-style rhythm, and his opening lesson is a pretty good primer on bluegrass chopping.

I know you're focused...
  14. Thread: Mando vibro?

by KEB
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mando vibro?

Vibrato isn't really a core part of the mandolin sound -- the lack of sustain/quick decay of the instrument means it's fairly infrequent that you're letting a note really ring a long time and the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: block inlay patterns

The Gibson Sam Bush signature models have a block inlay, so you can find some examples with a search for that.
  16. Re: Collaborative Mandolin Instrumental Spotify Playlist

I've got a giant playlist of the extended universe of fiddle tunes/instrumentals that I've worked on over the years just to keep them in my ear. It's about 5 hours in length now (and I've got about...
  17. Thread: Bag or case

by KEB
    Replies
    Views

Re: Bag or case

I got a Gator gig bag for Christamas and it's great. I use a toneguard and strap in it no problem (a-style, but don't see how an F would mess that up. The bag is much more sturdy than the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman Bought A Loar F5!

That album is one of the most perfect expressions of a person's unique musical backgrounds and voices out there. It could have been created by nobody other than Andy Statman and is one of those rare...
  19. Thread: Road trip music

by KEB
    Replies
    Views

Re: Road trip music

I once took a winter night "shortcut" through some backcountry roads in WV listening to that album (and the similar Twilight Zone album the dead recorded for the 80s remake). I was trying to cut out...
  20. Thread: Gilchrist

by KEB
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist

Whenever Ronnie McCoury's Gilchrist was made-- I don't know if I've heard a better instrument... though as always it might be the player.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Am I seeing more A style mandolins?

I blame the cafe-- 15-20 years ago, the person that knew the most of anyone about mandolin was that guy at the Jam who looked down on anyone who didn't have a Gibson F5 and everyone wanted to be like...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: "What's That Sound?" Del McCoury jam

A little late to the party, but this is also basically the core group from Delfest Academy instructors-- It rotates a bit, but Gibson Brothers, Sierra Hull, McCourys are all regulars, so they spend a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: 10-year mandolin anniversary

Sounds like a mandolin-themed vacation to Carter Vintage to buy a new mandolin is in order.
  24. Re: Going out of the country...personal item/carry-on?

This-- get in the A group or earliest boarding you can. The newer regs say that they need to accept the instrument as long as there's space, but you really have very little power to try to make...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Missing the bluegrass sound

I once read that it takes about 10 years to sound like you've been playing for a decade... and some of us don't progress that quick.

Edit: Guess I'm not the first to say this... maybe I should...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3