Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: 1923 gibson f-5 master model mandolin brochure lloyd loar

Guess it's all relative. Would you pay $90 for the original pamphlet of a $10,000 instrument you own? Or $9 for a $1000 instrument you own?

I've certainly done the latter in my time.

Never...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: 1911 2-point F4 with a Torch and Wire Inlay

This mandolin was literally sold the day before by a reputable US company. The text and photos from their ad were copied verbatim into the Japanese listing.
  3. Replies
    Views

D'Addario XS strings at 21 months.

Made a wee video showing off the D'Addario XS strings after 21 months on my F4.

They really do still sound great to my ear. They are dulling a little around the picking region, but far better...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Here's the original listing that the photos are taken of. I would say this is 100% a scam:...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What has happened to Elixir mando strings?

Can be done, but you won't find a 40 if you're making up a medium set, or a 34 if you're trying to replicate their light gauge set. They do a 35, so that would work fine for a light gauge set. For...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the story behind the "scroll"

If you don't like people's opinions on this, just scroll past them ;)
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: GIBSON F2 selling advice- Greece

Okay, I had an F4 shipped internationally last year. Took three months to get the CITES paperwork.

All about the pearl - nothing wrong with pearl. The CITES stuff was to PROVE IT WASN'T WHITE...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Monteleone F5 -#4 - 'The Gibson'. 1970s

Reviving this thread because it's turned up for sale: https://www.morganmusic.com/p-5993-monteleone-used-1976-f5-mandolin-number-4.aspx
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: F4 design evolution/solutions

This thread would be so much better with pictures ;)
  10. Re: Gorgeous F4 with Virzi at Retrofret in Brooklyn

Another one has arrived at Retrofret. This is much nicer IMO, and only a few hundred more:

https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=10791&name=Gibson-F4-Arch-Top-Mandolin-1922

Beautiful!
  11. Re: Elixir Official Notice Mandolin strings discontinued

Okay, hopefully this settles the Mapes debate...

I emailed to ask if their mandolin strings were coated or treated:

12. Re: Elixir Official Notice Mandolin strings discontinued

I've emailed Mapes for some clarification. I'll report back! :)
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Calling time on this F4 listing.

Gruhn has just listed a lovely 1917 F4 with overspray and repaired headstock scroll. $8000. That's considerably more than they were asking for these two years ago, so it looks like the market is in...
  14. Replies
    Views

And of course when they say Loar era, they only mean the Loar era between 1922 and 1924, not the Loar era from 1919 to 1924.

What they really mean is - "an F4 that was made during the two years...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What has happened to Elixir mando strings?

You might be pleasantly surprised. I use Elixir strings on my guitars, and the wound strings get quite furry in the picking area (no effect on sound though I must say). The XS mandolin strings have...
  16. Replies
    Views

Yes, a J-15 12 string. Here's one that sold for $999. Perhaps the only OTHER one in existence??

https://reverb.com/item/3263480-martin-j12-15-mahogany-12-string-acoustic-guitar
  17. Replies
    Views

Fair enough. Apologies for posting...
  18. Replies
    Views

Calling time on this F4 listing.

This one turns up in the classifieds about once a month:

https://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/p120/1921_Gibson_F-4_Mandolin.html

I checked out the video demo on the page, turns out it was recorded...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Primer on buying vintage mandos online

Can I also add that Folkway and 12th Fret in Canada REGULARLY have great vintage Gibson mandolins come in.

Why not contact them, establish a relationship, and get a heads-up on what comes in...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Primer on buying vintage mandos online

Since I was 17 in 1989, I've bought a total of 12 instruments from the USA, delivered to me here in New Zealand.

I still have 8 of those, which I consider a pretty high strike rate. Some I loved...
  21. Replies
    Views

I would be interested to know where those extra braces were put, and what impact this would have on the sound? Surely the difference between one and three braces would be discernible?

Anyway, what...
  22. Re: Gorgeous F4 with Virzi at Retrofret in Brooklyn

That whole ideal of taking something back to the factory every xxx years to make it all shiny and new! Someone loved that mandolin a lot, but probably didn't do it any favours in the long run where...
  23. Re: Blacktop 1911 F2 - 3rd time for sale in 3 years.

Well, it's now on hold, so it's getting a 3rd chance at finding a forever home :)
  24. Blacktop 1911 F2 - 3rd time for sale in 3 years.

Here's an interesting one.

Sold by 12th Fret in 2020 for $3850CAD:

https://www.12fret.com/instruments/gibson-f2-mandolin-black-1911/

Then sold last year by Folkway in Canada - listed for...
  25. Re: Stolen Gibson F-4 Mandolin Serial #66824

In this case, the mandolin was being shipped from a repairman: " In October I decided to get the frets replaced so I shipped it to Danny Roberts in Tennessee to get the work done, as I had used Danny...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4