Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Holding on to your personal Holy Grail mandolin

I can’t say for certain that I have, but after a recent trip to a shop that had a gorgeous Carlson signed Flatiron, a couple of Collings, and a smattering of other nice mandos, I walked away...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: Weber Yellowstone Custom

I love the look of that distressed blacktop!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD and Intro

At this rate, only a matter of time before a snakehead is added
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Jarrod Walker's pedalboard

That’s my recollection as well. Episode #8 I believe
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 A Junior Snakehead: NMD

Congratulations and happy pickin! I’d been eyeing that Jr since they listed it, and you’ve done a service tamping down my MAS for now
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade to Northfield?

That has been my exact experience as well. Everything was a huge improvement - tone, clarity, playability
  7. Re: Gibson is preparing to sell NFTs of its most famous models

Wow this is just embarrassing for them. When you’re chasing digital trends instead of making investments in what you are known for, run for the hills
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: I have MAS and check the classified hourly…

Just about every time I pick up my phone I hit the classifieds. It’s my browser homepage
  9. Re: Tennis elbow in the picking arm - how to avoid it?

Proper ergonomics while playing, well, saved my playing! I have two young kids which means carrying them a lot. This strain combined with holding the mandolin at too steep of an angle (headstock...
  10. Re: What chronic illnesses do old carved mandolins get?

A few that I encountered/looked out for when searching for my ‘24:
    - major cracks in the top
    - top sinkage
    - back separation
    - warped necks (pre-truss rod models)

Most of these are correctable...
  11. Replies
    Views

vMAS - new mandolin day

MAS never stays at bay long for me, so Monday was a NMD for me. This time it was vintage MAS - a very clean ‘24 Gibson A that the good folks at TME had. Huge thanks to Dan for all the help...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin stand

I picked up one of Northfield’s new øx mandolin stands. Really cool backstory, and like everything they do, built beautifully
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Apollo Mike Marshall picks

I’ve been playing the heck out of mine since it came last week. I think it brings out a woody, percussive bottom end to my Northfield F5 that I am really enjoying - maybe darker, more soulful type...
  14. Replies
    Views

Happy Friday!

Fresh set of strings for picking all weekend. Is there a better feeling? Happy Friday all!
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Help: Paypal or venmo or selle?

While Zelle can be offered by both banks (send and receiver side) it doesn’t offer the same type of protections that a wire or ACH does. Reason is that Zelle transactions don’t pass through a Federal...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Taking up (a) Mandolin

Add me to the list of those who took up mandolin in the last year. The birth of our first kid and the pandemic made me want to pick up a hobby that was much easier to go do as I knew getting out to...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: New Andrew Marlin Album

Andrew’s playing and songwriting got me into the mandolin. He’s an under appreciated genius in my mind

Both of the new albums are moving and sublime. And the musicians he plays with clearly have...
  18. Re: A good reason to have more than one mandolin

For me, mandolins are like good fly rods and steel bicycles. Impossible to own only one
  19. Re: New Eastman 305 - how long to play in, does tuning change?

Congrats on getting the 305! You’re going to love it. Gotta be hard to wait

I’ve had mine for about a year, and to my ear, it’s opened up a little bit, not dramatic just yet. Though I also have a...
  20. Replies
    Views

Your first great mandolin

Last Saturday was NMD for me as my "new to me" Northfield F5S arrived at my door. After letting it warm up from the cold trip across the country, I finally unboxed, basked in its beauty, and started...
  21. Eastman 305 and Northfield Calhoun comparison

I have been fortunate enough this year (my first year playing) to acquire two of the more commonly recommended mandolins for beginners here on the Cafe, so hoping I can help out some of my fellow...