Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Hallelujah

by Colin Botts
    Replies
    Views

Hallelujah

Yes, I know, this song has been done, redone, used, and abused, and I should have left it alone. However, I decided maybe there was a little room left in the world for a solo mandolin instrumental....
  2. Replies
    Views

The Gibson Factory in Kalamazoo

I just happened across this brief youtube video thanks to their autosuggestion function. It's only a couple of years old and includes some interesting information. For one thing, it mentions plans by...
  3. Replies
    Views

Mike M on different m’cello

With the number of views, I suspect this hasn’t been posted on the Café forum before, with Mike Marshall playing a Berg 10 string mandocello:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZWwrL-2uS8

BTW I no...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Regal Le Domino Mandolin C.1933

There are several Le Domino Guitars, one Tenor, several ukes and a couple banjolins between eBay & Reverb. In various qualities.

FYI Dominos are not Dice. Though I see the confusion. Is there a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Whiskey barrel octave mandolin

I think we may have to credit this builder with introducing the roller fairlead to mandolins, plus a few more novel things as well as mutating specifications. Some of us might get strange ideas, but...
  6. Re: Vintage gold Gibson tailpiece cover?

Looks like your cover is original by the wear and overall look, If original yes indeed rare, some have been re-plated so "don't polish it as it rub off the soft gold" Gibson F-5's got these gold...
  7. Replies
    Views

Slowplayers.Org. Is Back on Line

Glad to have it back
    https://slowplayers.org/1295-2/
  8. Willie Nelson with Marty Stuart on emando

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOptU-3N_Sg

Solo at 1:10
  9. Thread: Bowl back science

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Bowl back science

Interesting to see someone investigating the science of bowlbacks https://brill.com/view/journals/ijwc/2/1-3/article-p1_1.xml
  10. Re: Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

I put a 1919 Gibson A4 with a tone-gard and strap in mine and it fit fine.
  11. Re: Crossrock combination case for mandolin and violin

Sorry but I have no idea.
  12. Replies
    Views

The Queen's Welcome to Invercauld

This is a James Scott Skinner fiddle composition I have adapted to octave mandolin and guitar. The Queen in the title is Victoria, not the recently departed Elizabeth, who passed away very near to...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: HOG SOL on SGW

I'll wager that is the case for the vast majority of people, SO's in particular. And lord knows I've ventured into this area myself, several times over the years, with decidedly mixed results in...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Lutherie as an art form

Don't make me laugh! (thanks Denis). :))
    -I pride myself on occasionally being a low level player too.
    And I occasionally enjoy low level Art.

BTW I believe that the lunar lander that traveled...
  15. Replies
    Views

To be fair to pedantic stuffy academics, of which I am one, there are a range of perspectives on this. For some time now, particularly since the infamous 1984 MoMA "Primitivism" exhibit, the...
  16. Replies
    Views

A Pair of Ceccherini's

One of these I've been playing for while, the other is newly restored, not often you get two of these in the same place at the same time!

In addition to the level of decoration, the main...
  17. Replies
    Views

That's an interesting still life you posted, Simon.

I remember going to an art museum years ago, and it was explained that still life pieces like this always had something imperfect, to remind us...
  18. Re: Are pressed sound boards necessarily bad?

There are awesome flat top, bowl back mandolins, And canted top bowl back mandolins. So another way of looking at this is that there are awesome sounding flat top mandolins; therefore why not awesome...
  19. A customer playing a baroque mandolin I built

wc88GAcDsrY

I wasn't sure where to put this since it's not technically a video of me. It's also both lutherie/builder content and a video. Hopefully this is OK.

Here's some pictures of the...
  20. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The Ecstasy of Gold

This is one I'd been eyeing for a while for a possible solo mandolin arrangement. I finally sat down and put something together this week. I worked it all out on my Gibson A-4, but at the last...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to learn Mandolin with ADHD

Best way NOT to learn mandolin with ADHD: “Practice something until you can play it x number of times without a mistake before moving on”

Best way to learn mandolin with ADHD: Think of three or...
  22. Replies
    Views

Vintage Gibson mandola nerdfest

I had a nice visit from a quartet of mandolas today. Here are a couple of 100+ year old Gibsons: beautiful closet queens with all of the right goods, & pristine cases that sounded and played great! ...
  23. Re: Underrated Gibsons - the A2 and A3 stepchildren

https://joeyhamiltonphotography.pixieset.com/davidaltmancollection/?pid=10767938494&id=0&h=NzI3NDE4NTUy
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Underrated Gibsons - the A2 and A3 stepchildren

They had the inlay when they were made black in the factory, shouldn't be a problem.
  25. Re: Underrated Gibsons - the A2 and A3 stepchildren

Nice having a matching set like that. One of the reasons I have my 1916 H-2 mandola is that someone I knew had to sell some instruments, one of which was this. He had two, but the other one was part...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4