Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Bill Monroe - Porter Wagoner Show, 1968

I watched this great example of "The Man" at work, and could not find it posted before. I don't think Bill ever suffered stage fright. What a performer!:mandosmiley:...
  2. Replies
    Views

Monroe + Blake = Magic

Just hit the interwebs, courtesy of Butch Robbins. Thank you sir - please keep them coming!

https://youtu.be/rxS-eRiIEJI
  3. Re: Is there an easy program that will change pitch of a YouTube

You have to enable the extension, which probably happens by default, then you'll have to give it access to the Youtube.com site by clicking on the Extensions icon when you're there.

4. Replies
    Views

Re: Sleep with One Eye Open

I made a playlist called "Before Thile and Daves," offering the Sleep With One Eye Open album but using old recordings, mostly.

Before Thile and Daves...
  5. Darren Nicholson on obtaining his Lloyd Loar F-5

This is a pretty cool story...

p4gFdwJljKw
  6. Re: Andy Irvine's Sobell instruments missing amid airport chaos

There is a report on The Irish Bouzouki Forum Facebook page that Andy's two instruments have been found at Copenhagen Airport and have been returned to him. I so hope this is true ....
  7. Paddy Keenan. Se Mo Laoch, TG4. Essential viewing!

The legendary piper from The Bothy Band talks about his life.
    Lots of great music.

8. Replies
    Views

Obscure Tony Rice tabs. No mando content.

I'm posting this here because many of us play guitar in addition to mando. And the fact that Tony's work reaches beyond just guitar, influencing other musicians no matter what instrument they play. ...
  9. Old photos - a hodgepodge of musicians - folkies +

A few pics of "young" folkies for anyone interested in any of these guys.

The requisite mandolin photo - Jethro Burns with Steve Goodman

Bill Monroe appeared at Newport Folk the year...
  10. Hartford's Mammoth Collection of Fiddle Tunes

Posting here because I know this will be of interest to mandolin players. Fiddle tunes are mando tunes, too, after all.;)

In case you haven't seen, there's a brand new book available containing...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman in NYC 05/10/18

https://youtu.be/C8UWXNKD6FQ
  12. Replies
    Views

Sierra again

My apologies to those who have seen this video but I’ve watched it 6 times in the last two days and can’t get enough. The combination of instruments is just awesome.
    https://youtu.be/WpB3yBiJ1Jg
  13. New Mike Black Mandocello under construction

My very long-time local mando-pal Jeff Dearinger who owns one of the nicest K-4s from the Loar era is having Mike Black make him a mandocello so the old Gibson doesn't have to travel to their...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Underappreciated

Jimmy Gaudreau is is one of my favourite musicians in Bluegrass. The ''Jimmy Gaudreau's Bluegrass Unit - Live in Holland'' recording is superb.
    Here's one of my favourite tracks from it - ''This...
  15. Replies
    Views

Underappreciated

I always liked this lineup for The Unit, with Jimmy Gaudreau playing mandolin and singing harmony. You don't hear much about Jimmy Gaudreau these days. I've got a couple of his recordings and always...
  16. Interesting perspective on Dawg's playing...

...Literally.

This is a cool video anyway, but thought it was worth sharing as it's shot from a rare angle of below, out front, peghead-side. I learned a bit from watching The Man from this...
  17. Replies
    Views

John Reischman's Loar

I thought I'd share this here with you as this kind of thing doesn't really happen to us. On Sunday, my son (Tai) got to open for John Reischman and the Jaybirds on Vancouver Island. Before the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: The new Mandolin Cafe case sticker

Putting this photo out here as it's easier to document this way vs. looking through old invoices. The original order of 10,000 stickers lasted 3 1/2 years. Here's what a re-order of 5,000...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Orrin Star Passes

It's nice to see how many people knew Orrin. I took lessons from him for about three months back around 2010. The only reason I stopped was due to my first bout of serious elbow tendonitis which...
  20. Replies
    Views

My Northfield Artist Model, “Old Dog”

Hey all,

I recently received a Northfield Artist Series, and it is a beast.
    I love this thing, and just wanted to share a bit about it to those who are interested in hearing about Northfields.
  21. Replies
    Views

Nugget Mandolin #310

Hello everybody!

Last year I pulled the trigger and ordered a Nugget mandolin from Mike Kemnitzer. I played Joe K. Walsh's Nugget and loved the responsiveness and general feel of the instrument...
  22. Thread: Carlo Aonzo Trio

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Carlo Aonzo Trio

This is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaQwHHRIzf8
  23. Girouard mandolins, the 'Cafe, and gratitude...

About two years ago in a fit of downsizing I foolishly sold this unique and wonderful Girouard A5, lacquered redwood over spectacular quilted maple:
    These pieces of playable art come and...
  24. Unexpected But Highly Anticipated NMD: Sorensen FX “Dark Shark”

Hey guys,
    Longtime lurker here. I’m a Southern California picker of average ability who came back to mandolins a few years ago, after a long absence during which I mostly played electric bass....
  25. Replies
    Views

Unedited liner notes for "Dawg and T"

I wrote the liner notes for the new David Grisman and Tony Rice CD. It needed to be edited quite a bit to fit the format, but I thought some might enjoy the unedited version, I did a lot of research...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3