Thread: Mandocellos at CMSA

Default Mandocellos at CMSA

I invite my bass clef buddies to join CMSA and register for the Convention in the Clouds, November 13-15. Along with numerous mandolin centered workshops, concerts and meet-ups, we will have liuto and mandocello master Fabio Giudice offering his tips and musicality on the larger member of the family. We will have a Mandocello Hangout session to present new music and discuss problems and solutions unique to the big guy. Related material from the recently edited Bickford Mandocello Method will be posted (for members) on the CMSA website. We will also present open mic performances of an all-mandocello ensemble, including a world premiere of a mandocello quartet.

I see more and more interest in the mandocello on its own terms (as opposed to a strictly orchestral bass instrument). Please join, register, and be part of this wonderful opportunity.
    Hope to see you in the clouds!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mandocellos at CMSA

Wow....I am seriously tempted: at last a CSMA convention I can attend from Scotland! Though I may need to get a LOT of extra coffee ordered given the time zone differences. Thanks for the heads-up Jim.

Nick
    "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable". Beethoven

Eastman MD404
    Angara e D'Isanto 1895 Bowlback
    Eastman MD505 CC
    Paul Hathway Mandocello
    Bucketful of picks...still looking for the Magic one 🦄

We'll play extra loud to keep you awake! Hope you can join us, and hope we will make it worth your while.

"Wow....I am seriously tempted: at last a CSMA convention I can attend from Scotland! Though I may need to get a LOT of extra coffee ordered given the time zone differences. Thanks for the heads-up Jim."

Many of the concerts and workshops at CMSA's upcoming virtual convention are pre-recorded, and will be available to participants to watch whenever they want after they are premiered on the schedule. Most live events (exceptions are a few ZOOMs) will be simultaneously recorded and will be available to watch whenever after a short hiatus (to account for video processing). Events featuring European artists (such as Fabio Giudice's workshop, "Bickford's Mandocello") are scheduled in the early afternoon EST, which will be early evening in the UK/Scotland continental Europe if you want to watch the premiere. The convention website will remain open until the end of 2020, so there is plenty of time for people to watch (and re-watch) at their leisure. In short, while there are a few things that may be inconvenient for someone to watch in real time outside the US, for the most part time zone issues are minimal.
    Robert A. Margo

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margora For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys. That’s me registered. Now I’ll have to get some serious mandocello practice in...but with all my ceilidh playing on the mandolin curtailed, it’s the perfect timing.

Nick Reiter (“Fumblefour”)
    "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable". Beethoven

Eastman MD404
    Eastman MD505 CC
    Paul Hathway Mandocello

I look forward to meeting you and your Hathaway. When travel opens up again my wife and I have friends in Romsey, near Southampton; we plan a trip to the UK Isles--whether or not they're still "UK." And we play with a young lady fiddler who has toured through the northern islands. Hope to see you there, too!

Sorry I can't do much of it, Jim, but I WILL be attending bits and pieces. Looking forward to it!
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Looking forward to it!

Barry

Jim, just let me know if you ever make it to Scotland. By then we should hopefully be having our regular ceilidhs!

Eastman MD404
    Eastman MD505 CC
    Paul Hathway Mandocello

Quote Originally Posted by violmando View Post
    Sorry I can't do much of it, Jim, but I WILL be attending bits and pieces. Looking forward to it!
    Well I hope you can attend the mandocello bits and pieces! Most things will be recorded and will be available to registered members for a while after, so you can catch up later.

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefour View Post
    Jim, just let me know if you ever make it to Scotland. By then we should hopefully be having our regular ceilidhs!
    Should I take the high road or low road? You bet I'll let you know, and my wife has spent time in Edinburgh, says she loved it, let's go back.

As I am preparing for the CMSA event, including Fabio Giudice's workshop and my own Mandocello Hangout session, I need to send out a huge THANK YOU to the people behind this wonderful Mandolin Cafe website. A few years ago I was told there was little or no solo music and possibly not enough interest to support sessions devoted exclusively to the mandocello. I went on the Cafe and started my search, just calling out anybody with compositions for plucked MC. Since then I have met people from all over the world with such music, presented new MC literature, and seen a flurry of activity including the Suites from John Goodin. When traveling (without my K4) I have played on instruments borrowed from people I met here in the CBOM thread.
    To Scott Tichenor and to all the great people I have met on the Cafe, especially in a time of world-wide isolation, thank you again, and I look forward to many more years of contact, communication, and growth.
    Jim
    aka
    Dr. James S Imhoff
    Boston University Music Education Dept.
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post: