Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone identify?

Default Re: Can anyone identify?

I love "Who dunnits" - can't wait for "CAI?" - Season II.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise NM View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Others are wound with round wire? Sounds like that would tear up your fingers in a hurry.

I suppose different strings are necessary depending on whether one is playing Vivaldi mandolin concerti, Celtic music, or bluegrass. Having done some reading since this little guy crossed my path, I'm amazed at the versatility and universality of the mandolin. The NY Times ran an article a few months ago about mandolin orchestras, a few of which still exist. Pretty cool.
    Not so much different strings, different mandolins entirely. But an F5 style is very versatile, you can play any style on it.

I am a big recommender of flatwound strings, but be aware that you might not be able to maintain your principled stance on supporting your local music store; most smaller stores arent going to have them and you want to order several sets at a time, because if you break a G or D string you are going to need spare flatwounds handy. And they are about half the price when bought online in bulk.

Good find.

Personally I find flat wound strings to be dull sounding and unable to produce any dynamic range. Jazz guitar players like them for that reason! Dull and unresponsive!! Like jazz!!!

I'd love to hear a recording of your mandolin, Louise. It is exciting to hear a story like yours about an unknown maker who produced a mandolin of merit.

Viva tone, brilliance, and dynamics,

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Personally I find flat wound strings to be dull sounding and unable to produce any dynamic range.
    I agree with you. I recently restrung my mandolin with flat wound strings because I like the silky-smooth feel, however they did make my instrument sound completely dull. My wife has the same mandolin and I restrung hers with Elixir Nanowebs; while they aren't a smooth as flat wounds, the sound is so much more lively than mine.

Hi Louise... my uncle was Phil Buss, the maker of Reno Mandolins. I found this post when my sister googled the name of his little company. Since his untimely death, we’ve been trying to track down his mandolins, to no avail... until now! I’d love to talk to you more if you’re willing . Thank you... Sarah Buss

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sarah B For This Useful Post:

Just sent you a message.

I love when this happens! One of the marvels of Mandolin Cafe is that Scott and Company have made sure that just about anything searched with the term mandolin in it will show up in search results.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: