Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomastiks on a Collings MT?

Default Thomastiks on a Collings MT?

I've had my Collings for a few years now and have yet to find a set of strings that I feel are absolutely perfect. Some come close, like the GHS Bobby Osborne set of med-lights. I've been using those most of all.

But I'd like to hear from people who have actually used the Thomastiks on their Collings. What were the results in feel, volume, tone?

2. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Default Re: Thomastiks on a Collings MT?

Seek and you shall find... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHtZ5Tn3TPM

Went to YT and found an exact comparison. Leave it to good old Fiddler's Green (where I actually bought my Collings). I think I like the sound of the Thomastiks, and I'm sure the feel is better, less tension, etc. I will probably be giving them a try on my next string change.

Caleb, just wanted to give you an idea of what I've tried on my MT2V torrefied. I put some of the new Martin monel strings on and simply love the tone and feel. If you are experimenting with strings, at about $5, you may want to see how they sound on your Collings. They are my string of choice for my MT2V.

5. The following members say thank you to KMaynard for this post:

Caleb 

Quote Originally Posted by KMaynard View Post
    Caleb, just wanted to give you an idea of what I've tried on my MT2V torrefied. I put some of the new Martin monel strings on and simply love the tone and feel. If you are experimenting with strings, at about $5, you may want to see how they sound on your Collings. They are my string of choice for my MT2V.
    How is the tension of the monels compared to a standard string like a J74, etc.? I tend to like a bit less tension than standard mediums, hence my use of the Osborne med-lights, any my interest in the mittles.

I think the string gauges are the same as J74's but tension about the same.

Martin Monel's:
    Gauges: 11-15-26-40
    Tension: 186.9

D'Addario's:
    Gauges: 11-15-26-40
    Tension: 180.7

8. The following members say thank you to KMaynard for this post:

Caleb 

Blog Entries

I have a Collings MT as well as a custom MT2 for a number of years and I, like most players, have tried strings other than what came on the mandolin.

Light strings offer a quicker and more expressive sound than mediums. (Sure you can get what you want from medium and heavy strings but you have to try harder.) And I often play beautiful music more than rhythmic chop chords at hi volume.

Round wound strings from GHS, LSB250, and D'Addario J74's seem to be the better than the others. IMHO

I prefer the feel of flat wound strings and nothing matches Thomastik 154 light strings. I like them so much that I have never tried mediums.

When I can't afford Thomasks, or I want a more 'percussive sound' for chords, I'll get a set of D'Addario EFW74.

I think you really do 'get what you pay for'.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    And I often play beautiful music more than rhythmic chop chords at hi volume.
    Same here. I don't play BG, don't attend "jams," and mostly just play solo. When I play traditional mediums I often feel like I'm wrestling with the mandolin, so I've gone for a lighter feel.

I tried some Thomastik's back when I began mandolin in 2007. I had a Kentucky and was just getting my toes in the pool. Didn't care for the sound at all, but I think I'd like the more mellow sound now.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    But I'd like to hear from people who have actually used the Thomastiks on their Collings. What were the results in feel, volume, tone?
    I tried a set of the T-I Starks on my MT and liked them. For one thing, they added another voice to my arsenal which included an additional A5 (a Pava) at the time. But they also darkened the tone of the Collings, which could be bright for solo play, while being a little more comfortable on the fingertips and a lot longer lasting between string changes, albeit at a significantly higher price.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

12. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I tried a set of the T-I Starks on my MT and liked them. For one thing, they added another voice to my arsenal which included an additional A5 (a Pava) at the time. But they also darkened the tone of the Collings, which could be bright for solo play, while being a little more comfortable on the fingertips and a lot longer lasting between string changes, albeit at a significantly higher price.
    Thanks. The Starks probably *feel* a bit more like traditional strings, right? Due to them being heavier?

Thanks. The Starks probably *feel* a bit more like traditional strings, right? Due to them being heavier?
    They felt noticeably different, although I don’t know how much of that to attribute to texture versus tension. And truthfully, reducing string load was not one of my goals. I have generally used Starks on instruments that I would otherwise string with mediums (like my National RM-1) and Mittels in lieu of medium-lights on flattops (such as my old Gypsy). I can’t imagine using the Weichs unless I at some point decide to buy a bowlback.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Love the stark TI's on my Collings MTO. When I had my MT, they were my preferred string also. They just feel great, are a joy to put on (the silk windings), and last a long time.

The heavy set gauges are 11 15 21 34, compared to an EJ74 set 11 15 26 40. I am not sure I'd want mediums on an MT, 9 14 20 31, the tension would be really low.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gary Leonard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    Love the stark TI's on my Collings MTO. When I had my MT, they were my preferred string also. They just feel great, are a joy to put on (the silk windings), and last a long time.

The heavy set gauges are 11 15 21 34, compared to an EJ74 set 11 15 26 40. I am not sure I'd want mediums on an MT, 9 14 20 31, the tension would be really low.
    Very helpful information here - thank you.

I tried the TI Starks on my MT and was not thrilled, though I love TIs on my A2 oval hole. Every once in a while I try different strings but always go back to Daddario J74s. I once tried Daddario FlatTops on the MT and liked them a lot; FlatTops or Flatwound may be less expensive strings to try.

Blog Entries

Thomastiks heavy strings compare with D'Addario mediums. But they do get pretty thick and you may need to adjust the nut and bridge.

Keep in mind that a more sensitive (i.e. expensive) instrument will respond better to less pressure. Mostly because the wood is carved thinner in the right places.

I’m pretty unclear on which set to buy now.

Thomastik-Infeld 154ST
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

22. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Caleb 

Try a set of D'Addario Monel. I and others feel the strings are just a bit more pliable if not lower tension for a similar Phosphor Bronze string. Of course the unwound feel about the same as any equivalent, but the wound monels feel slinkier. And their tone is quite pure.
    Blessings

Caleb - What genre of music do you play ?. I ask because a friend of mine & fellow UK Cafe member, who owns a beautiful Heiden "A" style used to use Thomastik strings on it. He plays mostly Folk music,but when i first heard his Heiden,it sounded very underpowered.
    He changed over to D'Addario J74s (now EJ74's) & it sounded very much better. However,after i'd 'discovered' DR strings,i mentioned them to him, & he put a set of DR MD11s (medium gauge as per EJ74s) on it,& it really came to life.

I used to use DR MD11's on my own Ellis "A" style,but decided to try out a set of Tom Ellis's recomended strings - GHS A270's on it & they sound really sweet toned,even when played hard,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

25. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Caleb - What genre of music do you play ?. I ask because a friend of mine & fellow UK Cafe member, who owns a beautiful Heiden "A" style used to use Thomastik strings on it. He plays mostly Folk music,but when i first heard his Heiden,it sounded very underpowered.
    He changed over to D'Addario J74s (now EJ74's) & it sounded very much better. However,after i'd 'discovered' DR strings,i mentioned them to him, & he put a set of DR MD11s (medium gauge as per EJ74s) on it,& it really came to life.

I used to use DR MD11's on my own Ellis "A" style,but decided to try out a set of Tom Ellis's recomended strings - GHS A270's on it & they sound really sweet toned,even when played hard,
    Ivan
    I play mostly folk styles, no BG at all. I used to use DR11s on my old Eastman, but they don’t work well on the Collings.

From Caleb - "....but they don’t work well on the Collings. ". No surprise there Caleb !. Not all mandolins will sound 'good' using the same string brand / gauge. You might care to try a set of GHS A270's - same gauges as EJ74s except for the .016" A strings instead of .015". They feel very smooth under the fingers & certainly on my Ellis,they sound very sweet indeed. It's always worth trying out another reputable string brand - you never know,they just might sound terrific !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

I recently purchased a Collings MT2-V. During the purchase process I played the same instrument with both TI's and EJ74's. I am a very big fan of TI flat wound strings. I preferred them on a Flatiron I owned. Much to my surprise I did not like them at all on the Collings. Every mandolin is different. You have to hold and play it to get most answers, Hope this helps anyone contemplating TI's - great, great strings - but EVERY mandolin is different.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Logan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    I recently purchased a Collings MT2-V. During the purchase process I played the same instrument with both TI's and EJ74's. I am a very big fan of TI flat wound strings. I preferred them on a Flatiron I owned. Much to my surprise I did not like them at all on the Collings. Every mandolin is different. You have to hold and play it to get most answers, Hope this helps anyone contemplating TI's - great, great strings - but EVERY mandolin is different.
    After a year I revisited using TI Starks on my Collings MT2-V. Originally I tried a set while deciding to purchase my Collings. As you can read above, I did not like them. Trying them in a different environment (my home) after a year's familiarity with my Collings has rendered the opposite result. I love them! Now all three of my mandolins are strung with TI's. I doubt that I will ever use anything different from this point on.

I'm thinking the original TI test, at The Music Emporium, did not allow sufficient time and I was not yet enough familiar with the new Collings.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Blog Entries

I have TI's on my Collings mandolins and mandola, AND the octave mandolin. Also have tried almost every other brand out there. It comes down to this for me; if you want a bright, punchy sound, like a new set of strings on a guitar, then wound strings are great. However, the more you listen, and take time to listen, the better the flat wound strings sound.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Here's an opinion from an outlier, as I have slowly gravitated to lyrical and melodic playing and rarely find myself playing bluegrass or other driving musical forms. Consequently, I rarely want fast attack, piercing treble, or loads of "loud" overtones, preferring a balance with more of the fundamental, more sustain (less immediate falloff), and smoother transition between notes. I think the Thomastik-Infeld styrings are a phenomenal achievement in design and execution. I fing them to be plenty bright and lively, just not excessively so, and I find the tone to be beautifully musical and unrivaled. If I had to cut through other instruments or wanted maximum attack, I might feel differently, but I do not.

35. The following members say thank you to Mr Fingers for this post:

Been playing for only two years and with EJ74s on an MT2. Tried a set of TIs 154 mediums and am hooked. Been working on classical pieces and the TIs simply have the right sound and feel.

37. The following members say thank you to Tom Fuldner for this post: