Thread: Toneslabs Picks

Default Toneslabs Picks

First, I am a total pick nut. I love BlueChips, Apollos, and tortoise shell. I have all of the above and they all sound great. I do have some pick grip issues with all of them, as my hands are very dry.
    Of course, I had to try the Toneslabs pick! Partly owned by Frank Solivan, and endorsed by Nate Lee, Don Stirnberg, and others.
    My absolute new favorite!! All of the above picks sound great as does the Toneslabs. But the grip with the Toneslabs pick is far superior, to me, than anything else.
    Great customer service from David Welch (partner of Frank Solivan), these are now my go-to picks for both guitar and mandolin.
    Pricey - yes, of course
    Worth it to me - absolutely.
    btw - they have a good sale going on now. No financial interest on my part, just a very satisfied customer.
    Website is: Toneslabs.com
    Rich
    2015 Passernig A5 #76
    2016 Pava Pro A5 #197

Default Re: Toneslabs Picks

A free Toneslabs pick was included with my new Eastman MD315 from the Acoustic Shoppe. That was really smart because I never would have bought one, and now I don't use anything else. Good promotional move.

I like 'em, too. The gription factor is high.
    too many strings

There's nothing on the site (that I found) about the size of the picks. What pick is about the same size as a Bluechip CT55?
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

5. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

The Tri Tweener

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich Benson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    There's nothing on the site (that I found) about the size of the picks. What pick is about the same size as a Bluechip CT55?
    Don Grieser, the Toneslab is just a hair larger than the CT55. I'd guess maybe 1/64". To me the size is indiscernible.

I agree with Rich Benson's take that the "grip" is better than the the CT55...and the grip of the CT55 is really good. The Toneslab grip is just...more. Tonally, to me it's a toss up, and I change back and forth pretty frequently between the two picks. The Toneslab tends to produce less pick noise, and produces a slightly darker tone for my playing. Again, I have both and switch back and forth pretty frequently. YMMV.
    2023 Northfield Big Mon
    2022 Hinde Heritage MF-71
    2020 Tyler White #23
    2007 Lafferty Deluxe NF5 built by Audey Ratliff
    2005 Heiden Artist F
    2003 Gibson Adam Steffey #41
    2001 Apitius Grand Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Tjspahr1 View Post
    Don Grieser, the Toneslab is just a hair larger than the CT55. I'd guess maybe 1/64". To me the size is indiscernible.

I agree with Rich Benson's take that the "grip" is better than the the CT55...and the grip of the CT55 is really good. The Toneslab grip is just...more. Tonally, to me it's a toss up, and I change back and forth pretty frequently between the two picks. The Toneslab tends to produce less pick noise, and produces a slightly darker tone for my playing. Again, I have both and switch back and forth pretty frequently. YMMV.
    Funny, I’ve had the opposite experience. More pick noise (primarily on the wound strings) and a brighter (and louder!) overall sound. Excellent picks though - maybe a tad bright for my liking, but I slant fairly dark in my preferences.

This is when comparing their 1.4mm triangle to the BC CT55 and TAD60. Overall, TAD60, Toneslab, CT55 is my order of preference.