Thread: Pick Edges

Default Pick Edges

Folks, I tried something for smoothing up the edges of my pick. As shown in the attached photo, I bought a fingernail buffing pad from Walmart that has four progressive buffing surfaces (Equate Beauty Large 4 Way Buffer). I used it on my pick and it smoothed all the roughness and gave it a real nice polished edge. I like the smooth edge and how it allows the pick to slide off the strings "cleanly." What sparked this idea is comparing edges with some higher end picks I have that have real smooth edges (e.g., BlueChip, Hense). I realize some folks may think this is another one of Crazy Brad's ideas and you may be right, but I like it!! Just food for thought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nail Buffer.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	837.8 KB 
ID:	200765  

2. The following members say thank you to Uncle Brad for this post:

Default Re: Pick Edges

Pick on...
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

4. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Brad View Post
    I realize some folks may think this is another one of Crazy Brad's ideas and you may be right, but I like it!! Just food for thought.
    I have used a similar nail buffer on my fingernail tips for years (I'm primarily a fingerstyle guitar player). They give the nails a nice smooth edge that gives an attack on the strings without catching or scraping. A while back, I re-shaped and re-beveled a corner on a mandolin pick with a fine file and sandpaper, but the edge was still kind of rough. I figured that the nail buffer worked on my fingernails, why not on a pick? It worked well, and since then, I have used them on picks after they wear a bit, or after changing the corners. The buffers are pretty cheap, and work well.

I suppose if you want to be fanatical about it, you could use micromesh in decreasing grits to polish the edges like glass, but I never really saw a reason to go that far.

YMMV, of course.
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

6. The following members say thank you to TheMandoKit for this post:

I use a sharp knife and scrape it across the pick like a scraper. It works well and gives a nice smooth edge.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

This sounds great!!!

I have used similar nail buffer when making custom picks out of Ultem plastic. I used Dremel and coarser sandpaper initially but ended with nail buffer.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

The contour of the pick edge is as important as the smoothness. Whether there is a sharp point to the edge or more of a curve makes a big difference in the tone.

13. The following members say thank you to David L for this post:

One of the big reasons I like the (blue) Dunlop Tortex picks is that I don't have this problem, like I did with the classic plastic picks like Fender.

And when one gets worn out, I throw it away and pull a new one out.

That is, if it ever happens that I wear one out before losing it. Where do they all go? They seem to be disappearing even though I've hardly left the house in the last two years. I think I'll blame the cats.

15. The following members say thank you to JeffLearman for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Brad View Post
    This sounds great!!!
    Yay! I was going to say, if it sounds great, do it twice!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Makes sense. I have tried that too when I wanted to reduce the pointed-ness of a particular pick. Glad you shared this tip!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

19. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLearman View Post
    That is, if it ever happens that I wear one out before losing it. Where do they all go? They seem to be disappearing even though I've hardly left the house in the last two years. I think I'll blame the cats.
    They are hiding out with the unmatched socks.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLearman View Post

That's my explanation for everything that happens in the house that is weird, unusual, destructive or otherwise unexplained: "Because, cats."
    Kit
    Guitars, Mandos, Violins, Dulcimers, Cats

Blog Entries

Ultimately it depends on the kind of pick a person uses. If it's a hard material like a BC pick, yes, filing or sanding the edge can work, although if it's that hard it may not need this kind of work at all.

I use Fender heavy picks. Easy to get and inexpensive. It seems like just playing them keeps the edges smooth, at least the way I play them, although every once in a while I'll run the edge of my fingernail against the pick playing edge just to make sure it is smooth. Fender heavy picks last plenty long, and after a month or two they develop a nice concave wear-formed arc along the string-contact edge that ends in a smooth bump at the end of the pick, which kicks the string very nicely. I've really grown to like that wear pattern and it just gets better over time.

With these picks I used to get a thumb-and-finger shaped holding-formed curve that fit nicely in my fingers, but that seems to have stopped since I re-learned how to hold the pick much less tightly. Relaxed fingers; a little moisture on the fingers provides all the friction necessary to hold the picks.

I have never worn through one of these Fender heavy picks, or worn enough that the pick is unusable; they just seem to get better... I do intentionally change picks every once in a while so I have extra worn picks to use if I lose one.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

24. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post: