Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1294

Thread: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N

Default Re: Compulsive purchase- Flatiron 1N

Mr. Carlson what year was the first 1N built? Ive seen a pic of Bruce Webers ? I think it was a 79 no logo on front

thanks in advance
    Mark

I read that article #1332? oops just realized yours was a 79 the story I read was very similar, it was #81111332 the fellow had helped on the build and spoke of his father helping paint the little red barn?He gave the instrument to his father. Ill try and find the link

Got an '83 1N today. What can I say that has not been said in the 1002 previous posts? Beautiful. Simple. Playable. Sweet tone. Great volume. Going to play it all day tomorrow.

4. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

welcome Franc!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Been alternating between playing the new 1N and reading this old thread most of the day. The guy I bought it from assured me that he followed the string gauge recommendation on the sticker inside, but I have been playing and comparing the strings to the J74s on my Eastman 505 and the Elixir lights on my son's Rover, and I don't think the 1N has light gauges on it, so I tuned all the strings down a couple of steps and will get some new strings first thing tomorrow. It is quite playable as is, though I think the action could be lowered slightly up the neck. The intonation is bang on for the A, E, and D strings, but I will need to tweak the bridge to get the G right.

It is with bleary eyes that I report having read 1000 posts in this thread.

But the best news is that I picked up a 1993 1CH in almost new condition today. What a delight. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1337.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	113241

Thanks to all for the preceding info.....Lyle

From the second newest member of the club to the first, welcome! I only made it about 25 pages in today, but I now feel like I have know fatt-dad my whole life.

9. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

My 1983 1N has a crack! I am so disappointed! And then I find out that "The Flatiron" has no actual connection to "a steeply sloping triangular landform created by the differential erosion of a steeply dipping, erosion-resistant layer of rock overlying softer strata"! Of all the crass marketing schemes! I just assumed that based on the name....

Just kidding. No cracks (yet) though I have been playing the heck out of it in the last few days. I just wanted to bump this thread. There have been a few Flatiron pancakes in the classifieds lately, so there must be some new pancake owners, no?

11. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

=And then I find out that "The Flatiron" has no actual connection to "a steeply sloping triangular landform created by the differential erosion of a steeply dipping, erosion-resistant layer of rock overlying softer strata"! Of all the crass marketing schemes! I just assumed that based on the name....

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    And then I find out that "The Flatiron" has no actual connection to "a steeply sloping triangular landform created by the differential erosion of a steeply dipping, erosion-resistant layer of rock overlying softer strata"!
    Wouldn't it be cool if the instruments had been made here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0flatiron1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	118892

Wow, ten year old thread. Actually I have been thinking about a Flatiron pancake style mando for a while now. I have it up high on my wish list, and if I find one I like and can afford I may end up getting one this year. I'm trying to stick to a "one in, one out" philosophy, so I may make myself part with one of my current instruments. Since I have a lot of vintage junque, it won't be hard and I won't be crying as it'll be a move up. (The Trinity College OM is off the table though!)

Still messing around with this Cadet I got off Guitar Center. 2 Questions:

1.Are the truss rods on these things easily adjustable?

2.Is there a current consensus on a good small case for these things?

Ok, So I like the tone of the Cadet, but the case is pretty crappy, the tuners kind of suck and there is a slight bow in the neck I figured it couldn't hurt to order the 1CH that was $100 bucks more considering is has nicer tuners and a more solid case. Hopefully it won't require any setup work, but I will update when it gets to my house.

I would have responded to your earlier, but my pancake doesn't haveca truss rod and came with a case. On an unrelated note, TKL, Oilville, Virginia just fixed the drawbolt on my case!

f-d

No worries, we will see how this 881CH compares to the 94 Cadet.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Any comparisons to share?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Well, the action was even higher on the 1CH. Plus some of the binding was coming undone. So I returned it. For the extra 100 bucks I really was getting less of a value. Plus the mando had more wear. The case was just a standard A style case, so it sat in it funny. If I am not throwing the thing around the chipboard should be fine. I still have the cadet hanging around. I reckon it needs a proper setup. It is loud and the notes are crisp. I like the portability of it and it is fun to play. I did buy a 90s flatiron A5 though as my beater mandolin. It plays nice and I got a good enough deal that I can beat it up with no regrets. I will probably hang onto the cadet until I get bored with it, then move it along. I feel like it was a steal at $400. So I could easily move it for the same or a little more to cover my shipping costs for this experiment.

21. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Someone might snag this from me but im gonna post it anyway just because i dont know much about these.

Im wanting to pick this one up.

Can anyone share their opinion about it?

https://reverb.com/item/195724-vinta...ck-sides-25405

the finish checking doesn't bother me. The crack sorta bothers me, but it may be stable and not affect sound - don't know. I love the look and am also interestedin Koa. That said, I'm so drawn to my new snakehead right now, that's what I'm playing. Oh don't get me wrong, my love affair with the 1N remains strong. Just not looking for another pancake. I've always been curious about these koa pancakes though!

f-d

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    the finish checking doesn't bother me. The crack sorta bothers me, but it may be stable and not affect sound - don't know. I love the look and am also interestedin Koa. That said, I'm so drawn to my new snakehead right now, that's what I'm playing. Oh don't get me wrong, my love affair with the 1N remains strong. Just not looking for another pancake. I've always been curious about these koa pancakes though!

f-d
    The crack looks like nicely repaired, a good crack repair can last just as long as solid wood. i think its in pretty decent condition. Im just not sure of what it will sound like. Ive never owned a pancake mandolin OR a Koa mandolin, so this would be unknown territory for me. That said if its still available in a couple of days im gonna try to grab it.

what do you think about the price?

EDIT:Well... Bad news, just got a private message from the seller

"I'm sorry, It just sold last night. Wish i had another one for you. Jim DeStafney Owner, Blues angel Music"

Ah, good to visit the "Compulsive" thread once again and enter into the record that I just recently acquired the '86 1CH that was recently in the Classifieds. And it is a beauty, plays easy, and sounds awesome! Maybe I can post a video soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Sanders View Post
    Ah, good to visit the "Compulsive" thread once again and enter into the record that I just recently acquired the '86 1CH that was recently in the Classifieds. And it is a beauty, plays easy, and sounds awesome! Maybe I can post a video soon.
    agh, i tried to snag that one too and got a similar message. "sold and shipped"

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    Stay tuned, it may come up for sale again down the road. But I do really like it.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    JWalterWeatherman mentioned elsewhere that he might move the Cadet that he discussed upthread.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Flatiron 1CH spotting. This might be a spot no one thought to check, so i thought id share it with yall.

http://www.musicfolk.com/docs/Instru...lery=Mandolins

worth a look if your looking for a pancake