Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: An open letter to Classifieds users

Blog Entries

Default Re: An open letter to Classifieds users

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sanderson View Post
    Scott,
    What is the best way to donate that cuts out the middle man? If it is sending you a check in the mail the old fashion way, I’d be happy to do that. Recently I posted an ad in the wanted section for a Kentucky tailpiece cover. Another Cafe member replied and is sending me one free of charge including shipping. I donated one dollar via PayPal thinking that although it is a small amount, you would get one dollar, which is not even enough to cover the value of the service I received from the use of your classified ad service, but I felt that I needed to pay you something. Now I feel like I rewarded PayPal instead of you.
    I understand your intentions but why are you obsessed with "cutting out the middleman"? If some middleman provides a service like PayPal why should they not be paid?

I do think PayPal fees are high but if (and when) I find them excessive I will use another method of compensation.

The old USPS and personal check is the way I prefer to do business -- in most cases by the time i sell the instrument I feel that I know the person well enough that I am willing to put the instrument in the mail the day the check arrives as I believe the person is good for it.

As noted the 2% to the MC could be paid in the same way -- send Scott a check?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I'm sure we'd all love to know that
    Uh...except me.

And it's rather evident that a personal check from A to B suffers no 'middle man'.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Since when do we get eBay posts in the classifieds? I don’t recall this in the past. How do they pay the site for sales?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stompbox View Post
    Since when do we get eBay posts in the classifieds? I don’t recall this in the past. How do they pay the site for sales?
    Ads with links pointing to eBay have been allowed in the Classifieds since December, 2011. If you're looking for an explanation I think the best is to simply read through the posts I've made on this thread since it was created. This is a community site that has a greater purpose than satisfying stockholders and a corporate board. My intent has always been to help people that love this instrument and to allow them to find ways to have it be a positive part of their life that brings them joy. Sometimes that means allowing them to point to places that are paid whether we helped them or not. They may not have the means. Many support our efforts, some don't. Those that don't and abuse the system are eventually discovered, and there have been quite a few, are shown the door--permanently--and now pay fees on other sites to engage in this activity. I'm not interested in the individual's money that has one mandolin they might sell every 5 years and have kids to feed and put through school. But I also don't warn people. By the time I contact them they're already gone if it's clear they're taking advantage of the system. Best to continue this privately if you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Ads with links pointing to eBay have been allowed in the Classifieds since December, 2011. If you're looking for an explanation I think the best is to simply read through the posts I've made on this thread since it was created. This is a community site that has a greater purpose than satisfying stockholders and a corporate board. My intent has always been to help people that love this instrument and to allow them to find ways to have it be a positive part of their life that brings them joy. Sometimes that means allowing them to point to places that are paid whether we helped them or not. They may not have the means. Many support our efforts, some don't. Those that don't and abuse the system are eventually discovered, and there have been quite a few, are shown the door--permanently--and now pay fees on other sites to engage in this activity. I'm not interested in the individual's money that has one mandolin they might sell every 5 years and have kids to feed and put through school. But I also don't warn people. By the time I contact them they're already gone if it's clear they're taking advantage of the system. Best to continue this privately if you wish.
    10-4, I just (for whatever reason) never noticed eBay sales on here before.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I have red your letter and agree. Although I do not sell anything on your site. I do place an add for services. ie. I need someone to create Mandolin tablatures from sheet music for me. I have just donated via pay pal and will continue to do so.
    The mandolin cafe' is a very helpful site for me. I want to help keep it running.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gus & Sophie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gus & Sophie View Post
    I have red your letter and agree. Although I do not sell anything on your site. I do place an add for services. ie. I need someone to create Mandolin tablatures from sheet music for me. I have just donated via pay pal and will continue to do so.
    The mandolin cafe' is a very helpful site for me. I want to help keep it running.
    Mike will do this, and he does fast and excellent. Sign up to his free monthly lessons as well. He'll even make a video for you if you need it. Check out his appearance on mandolin mondays.
    https://www.mandomike.com/
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=As0a-6txHAk

Hi Scott:
    The workman is worthy of his labor. I read your post about asking 2% from sales completed on your website and thought it was kind and at the same time quite searching. As for me I think it is only fair that you be remunerated 2%. My oh my 2% does not break the bank for anyone. I'm surprised you did not ask more. With that said, I have a flatiron mandolin in a case … my entry level mandolin. very NICE AND SOUNDS GREAT. It is army navy model and made in Boseman Montana. I am thinking about selling it. If I could acquire a buyer on your web site Ill pay you 4% of the final sale price excluding shipping. If you have the time and are interested let me know. Ill post some photos and also can meet you on face facebook live and show you the instrument. THANKS FOR READING.
    tOM r s

Hi Scott,
    I just sold my mandolin but before I deleted the ad I had sent you a PayPal payment. When I deleted the ad something popped up to send you a payment for the ad but like I said I'd already sent it. Hopefully I did it right. Thanks, Debbie

14. The following members say thank you to Deblues for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    I'm typically not one to engage in open letters to the community, but something has been gnawing at my brain for a very long time. A few days ago I was contacted by a buyer with a question regarding a transaction with a well known seller with a lot of transactions. This resulted in several hours of my time invested in resolving the situation amicably so that the sale stuck. That's my job, but I also do it without pay most of the time, and when I'm putting in hours of free time for the benefit of a seller with a history of not supporting the site or supporting it poorly that makes me very unhappy.

The individual I dealt with expressed surprise in my tone of voice. He was right. This has been building for a long time and rather than shooting a dart at one person I thought more therapeutic to share that email here composed to no specific name. So allow me to engage in a bit of therapy, and I do need to get this off my chest.

This is not meant to be a "roll call" for those that have contributed fairly or those that have not. Just read it and think about it. If I could be assured of that much I'd be pleased.

--------------

Dear (name removed)

Let me explain part of my displeasure with your use of the Classifieds. As much as you use them I think you deserve as much. I apologize if my contact the other day sounded a bit harsh. I have very good reason. I thought about not saying anything but I really think I should get this off my chest, and it's clear I need to. I don't like harboring ill feelings. It's unhealthy, so allow me to engage in a bit of therapy.

It has always been a part of the Classifieds policy that we ask for a 2% donation back to the Mandolin Cafe to offset operating expenses on successful sales. Maybe you're under the impression the Cafe rolls in money and that this all happens by magic and that no effort is involved. Not the case. I can't begin to calculate how much protection sellers and buyers benefit from every day, the scams and bad sellers that attempt contact you'll never hear from. It all looks like it's wide open, doesn't it? That's the beauty. You're being protected at every use and the people trying to take advantage of you never find out, and neither do you. Site security is a 24-hour operation because people wanting to take advantage are knocking on the door round the clock. Dan Beimborn and I have invested hundreds of hours in the security of the Classifieds, and because of those efforts we're as close to fraud free as Classifieds and sales resources get on the internet. I compensate Dan quite well for his work. That's my opinion, I think he'd agree, and he's welcome to weigh in.

Continually dipping the hand in the cookie jar and not supporting the site or sub-par contributing is little more than poor taste. Successful resources on the internet come at a price. They're not free, and it doesn't appear there by magic. It's the result of hard work, diligence and showing up every day, multiple times to make sure it's right. Holidays included.

The Classifieds are the way they are by design. They're intended as a perk for site visitors.

Let me make this very clear: I have no interest in engaging in forced up front PayPal or credit card payments or the possession of your credit card number in return for the privilege of placing or replying to an ad.

If you contact us with a concern about a Classified ad, a human answers--me. Try that at Reverb, eBay or Craig's List. Two of those don't let you off without paying.

I'd like to think this is just an oversight, but I know from the numbers of people that engage in this that it's just in poor taste.

I love running this web site and there are many benefits. I will continue to do so, but seeing people use the Classifieds continually and not supporting us in return is just sad. So, you asked a question and I answered.

Scott Tichenor
    Mandolin Cafe
    Since 1995
    Scott, I have been looking at your mandolin ads for several years and have posted several ads with no sales to date. I seem to be having a problem with seeing the classified ads for several days now. Have you disconnected me for some reason or is it a problem with some setting on my computer. Concerned. jimmay

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    Scott, I have been looking at your mandolin ads for several years and have posted several ads with no sales to date. I seem to be having a problem with seeing the classified ads for several days now. Have you disconnected me for some reason or is it a problem with some setting on my computer. Concerned. jimmay
    It's your firewall software stopping you from seeing ads... Sent you a reply back in response to your email.

Scott,

While I have not succeeded in selling any instruments in my five previous attempts, I agree entirely with the idea of supporting this site with a small percentage of any instrument sale. This remains true for anything listed here, even if it is listed elsewhere. And also if I hand deliver it to someone in my locale. Thank you for your efforts on behalf of players everywhere. Craig's list sucks. EBay sucks a little bit less than Craig's list.
    Last edited by BrucePHammond; Jan-30-2022 at 12:34am. Reason: typos
    Anonymous

So this was more to do with one particular and well known seller and not every other individual that used the site? And there’s absolutely no issue receiving donations from all the mandolin sales that occur, just guitars? Are all the ukulele and tenor sales kicking in?
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

"Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

All this talk has a way of giving one the guilts. I appreciate the Cafe and have used the classifieds several times to my advantage. There have been those times when I wonder how it (my transaction) may look from an "administrator's" view. I sold a guitar not too long ago and everything was great but then the buyer returned it. I can see where it may look like I sold something but didn't chip in, when in actuality the whole think, no fault of Cafe, was a bad experience for me. I think one simply has to do what is right. I hope we are all introspective enough to evaluate whether we have or not. Just my thoughts.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I've bought a grand total of two mandolins through the classifieds over the years - the first 8-9 years ago, the second just a month or so ago. I was not aware of the suggested 2% donation the first time, but did get some sort of adviso this time. I thought it a very reasonable ask, especially in light of the recent brouhaha regarding guitars (with which I thoroughly agree). I sent Scott double that, because why not? I don't know about everyone else, but I sure as heck spend a lot of time here and enjoy most of it, learn and share a tremendous amount, and am immensely grateful for all the Café provides and permits. There was nothing the slightest bit like this resource when I was starting out in the prehistoric times, and oh, how I wish there had been. I am grateful for the experience of finding out everything I could the way I did over the years, which surely helped develop my researching skills. But this valuable a resource site is well worth supporting, and the little bit that was being asked was very much within the realm of what could be called the right thing to do. I wish I'd thought to ask for A model stickers but other than that, no regrets.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Not only do I donate generously when I sell, but there have been a couple of instances where I have been so delighted with a purchase found in these classifieds, tha I have donated then too!
    too many strings

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to musicofanatic For This Useful Post:

No worries Scott, if i sell thnx Mandolincafe i'll pay my 2%. But if not through you i'll make a (smaller) donation. N.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I’ve never used the classifieds. I have, in the past, bought merchandise. And will again in the future.

Do the classifieds work in Australia? If I was to sell something, are there Australian buyers? Just curious.

And as always, thanks for everything you do, Scott.
    Last edited by David Lewis; Jan-02-2024 at 7:21am. Reason: Typo
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

FWIW, if you use PayPal Friends and Family option, the receiver pays no fees, nor does the sender. The only possible downside to this is that PayPal won't help with any dispute if one arises. For something like this, it shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't use F&F to pay someone who wasn't actually a friend or family for a purchase, but for a small donation, it works well.

27. The following members say thank you to sgosnell for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cech View Post
    I have sold a few small things and made one very good trade. Because they were small sales I never thought to make a donation, which would have been only pennies in each case. However, I will make a catch up donation after the first of the month and be happy to do it. Sometimes a letter such as this can inspire.

QUERY: As I understand it, the donation is to be made by the seller, not the buyer. Is that true? I bought an instrument through an advertisement listed on the Cafe in the summer of 2022. How can I find out whether the seller ever made a donation based on that sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gochfeld View Post
    QUERY: As I understand it, the donation is to be made by the seller, not the buyer. Is that true? I bought an instrument through an advertisement listed on the Cafe in the summer of 2022. How can I find out whether the seller ever made a donation based on that sale?
    In my opinion, it is not up to you to "police" the behavior of a seller. When in doubt, you can make a donation.

Think of it as paying it forward or a tip for a job well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gochfeld View Post
    How can I find out whether the seller ever made a donation based on that sale?
    You can ask the seller.

I doubt Scott needs your help identifying freeloading sellers. He can look at data and say, "Hm, Seller X has placed four hundred umpty-eleven ads but never donated anything," and decide what he wants to do about it.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls