Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The case of Cedar Creek Cases continues.

Default Re: The case of Cedar Creek Cases continues.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Any love for Access cases out there?
    Instrument cases seem to have gone the way of shoes. Years ago, you could search around and find a pair that fit well and, after they wore out, you could get another pair and expect to get the same fit. For the majority of shoe manufacturers, this is no longer true. Whether it is changing designs for the sake of fashion or moving manufacturing to find ever cheaper build costs, the end result is typically poor fit and/or poor quality. Repeatability in shoes seems to be a distant memory

As for Access cases, although this thread is focusing on HSC's, I have an Access stage something soft case that exudes build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Any love for Access cases out there?
    I just bought an Access-stage 3 soft case for my new mandolin. I think it is wonderful.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

San Antonio, Texas and Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    Nola and Linds: That archtop octave case is custom sized to that particular instrument.

To that note, I have been using Cedar Creek for a while and I order my mandolin cases (and octave cases) with a custom padding configuration that leaves space for the bridge and puts the supporting padding on the tailpiece instead.
    Yup. Mine seems really well-made, too. I want to fly with it in about a month, though, and I've never checked an instrument this nice before. With the airlines' seeming diffidence towards safe handling of instruments, I'm hoping this case can handle it. I'm getting insurance on the thing, just in case. I wish the airlines would let musical instruments that will fit in the overhead fly there automatically, but with everyone trying to avoid baggage fees these days and carrying on everything and the kitchen sink, there just isn't enough room.
    2005 Collings MT #1045
    2011 Fletcher Brock OM #130

Mandolin & Mandola maker

I'm resurrecting this old thread because a new custom mandolin case just arrived from Cedar Creek.

Since this thread started I have received 2 new cases from Cedar Creek custom shop. I have absolutely no complaints about the quality of the cases, fit is perfect, so I am happy. However, the wait time was well over 3 months so don't expect a quick response to orders. As I have said before, if you send them the measurements and an outline, you will get a case that fits, but you need to plan way in advance and send in your order 3 or 4 months before you need the case. I have just sent in a new order, but am expecting the case will probably arrive in March next year.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Thumbs down Re: The case of Cedar Creek Cases continues.

My Cedar Creek case for octave mandolin (trillium) has some serious issues. The velvet-covered foam lining has gotten a damp sticky feel that transfers to the instrument. The glue to the case is moist and the foam can be easily pulled from the case. The top of the case rests against the strings and has a permanent imprint. The instrument sts only on the neck - the body must be raised with pads to be level. No support under the pegs. I can't replace the foam interior and must buy a new case. Very disappointed in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by wvpamcur View Post
    My Cedar Creek case for octave mandolin (trillium) has some serious issues.
    Did you contact Cedar Creek about it?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

My only complaint about my Ceday Creeek OM case is its smell - sweet and sickly - which transfers to the instrument and stays for a short while after removing it. It's a tight fit and, I assume, custom made.

F-style Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    My only complaint about my Ceday Creeek OM case is its smell - sweet and sickly - which transfers to the instrument and stays for a short while after removing it. It's a tight fit and, I assume, custom made.
    Interesting observation. In mid-2011, I bought a Collings MT in a TKL case. The sweet smell in the case had transferred to the mando, and was so strong that I couldn't stand to play the instrument. It was that distracting. I called Collings about it; they said in no uncertain terms that they "don't make stinky mandolins" and that was that. I also had several interchanges with TKL in which they told me that the smell would dissipate in a few weeks, which it didn't. In subsequent conversation with TKL, they told me (in veiled terms) that I was an idiot, and that was that. I don't know about TKL, but I would have expected better from Collings. My guess is that the complaint I had with the smell was not the first time they dealt with it.

In the 80's, I worked in a music store, and we sold cases made in Canada. I don't remember the brand, but they were noted for how rank they smelled inside when new, probably because they were using hide glue to install the linings and blocks. My guess is that TKL is still using something similar, and their "fix" is to perfume the glue. Amazing thing to do when there are modern glues available that don't smell at all. I bought a cheap Travelite case for a mando I built, and it smells like, well, nothing.

The end of the Collings/TKL story is that two years later I've finally begun to use the MT, and it's an excellent instrument. It still has a fragrance that might remind one of a lady of the night, but at least you can't smell it from across the room. I guess what TKL really meant to say is that the smell would dissipate in a couple of years. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lindstrom View Post
    In the 80's, I worked in a music store, and we sold cases made in Canada. I don't remember the brand, but they were noted for how rank they smelled inside when new, probably because they were using hide glue to install the linings and blocks. My guess is that TKL is still using something similar, and their "fix" is to perfume the glue. Amazing thing to do when there are modern glues available that don't smell at all. I bought a cheap Travelite case for a mando I built, and it smells like, well, nothing.
    TKL established its business on a large scale by buying up a number of case manufacturers in the 90's. This included Harptone in Brooklyn and some in eastern Canada, one of which was Everest. Harptone had its problems, including sometimes a strong reek of formaldehyde. I suspect it extends the pot life of the glue. I think TKL found no use for their equipment, because they stopped offering Harptone's wide range of sizes and shapes and settled on a few of the most popular. The formaldehyde persisted for awhile, but now it's "fragrance", which lately is not too bad.

I called Collings about it; they said in no uncertain terms that they "don't make stinky mandolins" and that was that.
    Ha! From the clarity of the response, I suspect you may have spoken to Bill Collings himself. He has a reputation for both building great instruments and telling it like he sees it.
    Think globally, bike locally.

Collings has issues at times with the cases supplied to them. Bill C is working on his own cases. They're light & terrific....I've seen the prototypes in Austin. TKL on the other hand......their cases are going downhill. I've got a new Collings 01A & you have to position the lid....even then..the latches are a nightmare. Collings & other builders are somewhat at the mercy of the case build monoply.

I've been trying for years to get Pelican to make me a military spec fully waterproof shaped mandolin case.

j.
    www.condino.com

A Pelican case would be wonderful! They'd get my vote.
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

Does Cedar Creek actually make a case strictly for an octave mandolin or did your instrument fit into a standard mandolin case? Which brand of octave and which model of case? Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Christianson View Post
    Does Cedar Creek actually make a case strictly for an octave mandolin or did your instrument fit into a standard mandolin case? Which brand of octave and which model of case? Thanks for your help.
    Bearing in mind that it’s almost 8 years since the last post on this thread ......

My Cedar Creek case came with my Clark GBOM. I can’t really say but I’ve always assumed that it was custom made for the instrument. What I can say is that it still stinks!

As it happens, I’ve since bought a Collings mandola and, although not as bad as the Cedar Creek case, that also smells. Not sure who made it but it looks like it might have been TKL.

I have other cases, inc. 3 Caltons, but they’re all “real” ones - made by Keith Calton in the UK - on the smell front they’re OK. I suspect there’s a law against building smelly cases over here! One of my mandolins came in an Ameritage and that doesn’t smell at all.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Yep Cedar Creek and TKL cases smell when new. When I get one I open it up and leave it open for a week or two. Presto cases also used to smell, much worse. They got the same treatment. The smell is the glue, and I suspect is something difficult to avoid completely.

Never had a problem with offensive smells from a TKL case, but Superior cases and many others yes. I put a smelly soap bar in the case to mask the odor. I have found that leaving the case open for a week, two weeks, a month, did not help. I tried everything and finally bought a TLK case that does not stink.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Mmm. Have just sniffed all my cases and they all smell to a greater or lesser extent. The relatively new TKL case smells the most, and the smell is the same as Cedar Creek cases. No surprises there because they are the same company. One Cedar Creek case is a custom case a few years old and the smell has faded to almost nothing, the other has spent it's life empty and closed in a wardrobe and still smells, but not as much as when new. I have a fiberglass Superior case, and the smell is not much at all, and that is about 12 months old. The least smelly is a cheap Chinese music shop case. None smell enough to be a problem, but the Presto cases used to really reek when brand new. The other half used to complain when I left it open to outgass the smell, but the smell did fade with time. Keep a case long enough and with use the smell will fade.

My Calton that I received in February is just recently beginning to dissipate and I've left it open for days at a time.
    Randy Mallory
    2020 Gibson Custom Shop F5 MSC Wide Nut (2020) David Harvey
    2022 Eastman MD515
    2022 Northfield NFO-AT1 Octave Mandolin
    and a few more....

Quote Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
    Mmm. Have just sniffed all my cases and they all smell to a greater or lesser extent. The relatively new TKL case smells the most, and the smell is the same as Cedar Creek cases. No surprises there because they are the same company. One Cedar Creek case is a custom case a few years old and the smell has faded to almost nothing, the other has spent it's life empty and closed in a wardrobe and still smells, but not as much as when new. I have a fiberglass Superior case, and the smell is not much at all, and that is about 12 months old. The least smelly is a cheap Chinese music shop case. None smell enough to be a problem, but the Presto cases used to really reek when brand new. The other half used to complain when I left it open to outgass the smell, but the smell did fade with time. Keep a case long enough and with use the smell will fade.
    Fresh dry coffee grounds in an old sock will overwhelm most foul smells.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

Quote Originally Posted by mandomurph View Post
    Fresh dry coffee grounds in an old sock will overwhelm most foul smells.
    Coffee grounds... mmmmm...

old sock?!... Hmmmm...

Which one overwhelms?

I prefer a clean old sock. YMMV.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

I have used coffee grounds to remove stale old cat pee smell. Not in an instrument case, though.

There used to be an organic product developed for septic tank use that somehow destroyed awful scents. A friend used it for hunting and found that washing his clothing and pack in it made them not detectable to mule deer, coyotes, etc. It worked very well indeed and was marketed to the hunting community as "Forget the Wind". IIRC it's biodegradable and will only keep 6 months or so once mixed with water. I don't know if it's still on the market by that name.

It worked very well indeed on a Martin Guitar case that wreaked of smoke so badly that it brought tears to my eyes every time it was open. It also took the smell out of a soft string bass gig bag that had a really strong smell of ode de kitty cat wee wee.

Dan, we use a product called Odormute to remove skunk smell from the dog when that unpleasant situation arises. It works pretty well, though it tends to require 2 or 3 applications. It is enzyme based, and though the label doesn't specify what enzymes, it mentions protein somewhere in the label info. Perhaps it is a similar product(?).