Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NMD and a little story

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Default NMD and a little story

Today I received Dolly, my new Ibanez M522 f-style mandolin. She's definitely a different kind of critter from any of my other mandolins. I bought her to address a situation that arose recently when Rich and I went to California to visit our grandson, who shattered his femur in a dirtbike accident. This particular grandson's father, my husband's firstborn, died in a motorcycle accident in 2006, when the boy was two years old, so this misadventure has been particularly stressful.

We were visiting on Sunday morning at our daughter-in-law's home and I was quietly noodling around on Phoebe as we chatted. Our almost-eight-year-old granddaughter, who is a delightful firecracker of a child, was sitting across the room, doing little girl things. After a while she looked up and nodded my way, saying, "that's so relaxing!"

We didn't even know the child had any concept related to relaxing.

A bit later she wandered my way and sat down beside me, looking with interest at my Collings. Her mother immediately said, "Casey, don't touch that."

By the time we had arrived home in Arizona that evening, at least two good outcomes were clear to me. Our hearts had been lightened by the time with family and our grandson's excellent prognosis. And I had determined that I needed to acquire a mandolin that I could hand to Casey, or one of her siblings or cousins, and say, "Here. Check it out."
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Sheila Lagrand For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: NMD and a little story

Genius! Way to go Sheila!

4. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

Could propose the Suzuki method combined instrument lessons including the mum?
    How old is the boy/young man?

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Keep this story going, Sheila. Hope the healing process continues to go well.

7. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

What a cool reason for a NMD!

9. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Great story Sheila! I know the back story on your grandson, that he wanted to go back to learning guitar in his down time, how is that going?

I believe in letting children “feel” my musical instruments when they are inclined, with supervision. Here, one of my sons is holding my Eastman while two of my great grandchildren are having a go:

WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

I sold my “beaters” in our downsizing about 3 years ago, but I’ll still let the younglings try out my noisemakers. I’m a little more careful with the Rigel since they’re not being made anymore, but only a little more careful. Actually, my Mandobird and a travel Uke I have are perfect for children to wail on.

Enjoy the new and worry free mandolin, and I hope your grandson heals quickly and well!
    Chuck

13. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Could propose the Suzuki method combined instrument lessons including the mum?
    How old is the boy/young man?
    Our daughter-in-law and her husband (she did go on with her life after being widowed at age 24, thankfully) have no family history of music lessons. I believe suggesting she add another thing to her plate right now would not be well-advised.

Ayden, our dirt-bike crashing grandson, will be 17 in July.
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Great story Sheila! I know the back story on your grandson, that he wanted to go back to learning guitar in his down time, how is that going?

I believe in letting children “feel” my musical instruments when they are inclined, with supervision.
    Guitar lessons haven't started yet, for a variety of reasons.

My Collings is the only instrument I own that I wouldn't let them explore on their own. It was worth it to me to acquire a mandolin that even my youngest grandchild could take out and sit under the apple tree and explore without me (or her mother!) worrying.

16. The following members say thank you to Sheila Lagrand for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Look at her, even at her young age, taking on barre chords!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

18. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Always a good idea to expose young people to musical instruments and music in general. Never can tell when you might have the next Sierra Hull on your hands.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

20. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Nice story Sheila, It's a good illustration of the caption over you avatar.

Reading it brought me a flashback of my three year old firstborn daughter (now 27) playing my mandolin on a strap like a guitar and singing.

Life is precious. RB

22. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Roy View Post
    Nice story Sheila, It's a good illustration of the caption over you avatar.

Reading it brought me a flashback of my three year old firstborn daughter (now 27) playing my mandolin on a strap like a guitar and singing.

Life is precious. RB
    Thank you for sharing that glimpse into a sweet moment in your family's history, RB. I have a photo somewhere of all three of my daughter's children lined up at the "family piano"--my mother and aunt learned on it, I learned on it, my sister had it for a while so her sons could learn on it, and now it is at my daughter's house for her children to learn. Anyway, my SIL had been PCSed from Guam back to CONUS, the piano was at our house, awaiting movement to their stateside duty station, and if I'm not mistaken, CJ was 9, Sawyer was 5, and Daphne was 3. They were all lined up plugging away, and I was about as happy as a Lala can be.

Sheila, I'm glad your grandson is healing well. That sounds like a potentially catastrophic injury. And, congratulations on the kid-proof mandolin. I hope one to more of them take it up.

Mark, those two little girls are heartbreakers! With three chubby little hands on the job, they'll get some chords down.

25. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

What a blessing you are to your family and to us Sheila! Thanks for sharing your story and your perspective. Good advice for all of us grandparents with instruments

27. The following members say thank you to Leester for this post:

Way to go Sheila. When my kids were little I got them a uke and a baritone uke. I tuned them to an open tuning so they could simply strum and make music without having to learn chords. They were very young and I didn't want to pressure them with lessons. They are both musicians now and my daughter has performed in 7 or 9 countries, I can't remember, age.

We had a musical instrument tasting thru our library this spring outside. I donated a few instruments as well as repairing all the donated instruments. Kids or adults could come and play any instrument. It was a great day. The instruments can also be checked out of the library so you can try and instrument before you buy one to make sure it's what you want to play before you buy it. Some of the kids said it the most fun day ever. I'd say that was a success.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

That’s a really cool story & memory, pops
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I love it! My mother still plays the same upright that she learned to play on & that all three kids either played on or accompanied by. Music opens hearts & minds and changes the fate of nations. Good on you for sharing, both with us & the next generation!

Each day is indeed a gift! That's why we call it the present

32. The following members say thank you to urobouros for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing and sharing. That's wonderful. Heal well!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

34. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    We had a musical instrument tasting thru our library this spring outside. I donated a few instruments as well as repairing all the donated instruments. Kids or adults could come and play any instrument. It was a great day. The instruments can also be checked out of the library so you can try and instrument before you buy one to make sure it's what you want to play before you buy it. Some of the kids said it the most fun day ever. I'd say that was a success.
    My daughter is a librarian in a very rural place. I will share this story with her.
    I think more community and family music is something we need right now (and always).

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Rieter For This Useful Post:

That guy playing mandolin

There are few things that make me happier than getting to play for someone who appreciates my strumming, whether young or old. It's amazing how even really young kids can be entranced by music, particularly new sound from an instrument the haven't heard before.
    The Loar LM 310f
    Vangoa A Acoustic

I enjoy walking barefoot and playing my mandolin, and if I can do both at once, you'd be hard pressed to find a happier soul.

38. The following members say thank you to Reywas for this post:

I hesitated before I wrote this post, but I sure am glad I did. I'm really enjoying all the posts about your experiences with kids and music and wonderful programs at libraries and all the other great stuff that's being posted here. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your treasures.

Quick update on Ayden: He's still some weeks away from weight bearing, but the staples closing his surgical incision have been removed, so he's more comfortable. Did I ever mention that he also fractured his sternum? I thank God that young man wears good head and face protection, and that he didn't suffer a spinal cord injury.

40. The following members say thank you to Sheila Lagrand for this post:

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Sheila, thanks for the update. Glad recovery is going well.

I don't have a story, other than to say every chance I get I encourage parents to introduce their children to music - and at an early age. Wish my parents had done that.

42. The following members say thank you to Sherry Cadenhead for this post:

Update: Ayden is essentially all healed up, busy digging in to his senior year in high school. I offer heartfelt thanks to all of you who offered prayer and good thoughts following his accident.

In August, we gathered in the hometown (San Diego) to celebrate our son-in-law's retirement from military service. Their youngest, my daughter's mini-me Daphne, was enthralled with the "family mandolin," as we referred to the one I got for the kids to explore. So when her 9th birthday rolled around a few weeks ago, we sent her a ukulele beginner's pack, along with a book written for kids. She and I were video chatting a few days later, and I asked her if she wanted to learn to play it, or if she would like to return it and pick out something different. "I want to learn to play it," she said, "but I don't know how to use this one thing. Hold on." She came back with the instrument and related paraphenalia and pulled out the tuner.

To make a long story short, an hour later, she had tuned her new ukulele, made notes in her lesson book about which way to turn the tuning buttons on the bass side and the treble side to correct sharp and flat strings (and she was using those correct terms, "sharp" and "flat"), and knew the names of all the parts of her ukulele. I asked her if she would like for us to go through the rest of the book together. She said, "Fridays or Sundays?" I said, "Fridays." And I ordered myself a copy of the book we had sent her.

Last Friday, at precisely 2:50 pm, I got a text from her: "Ukulele lesson in 10 minutes." So I guess it's a thing.

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sheila Lagrand For This Useful Post:

So wait, do you have a ukulele, too? I don't see it on your list
    I would think you would need one now.

(That's a cool story, BTW. What a great way to bond with your granddaughter across the miles !)