Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a resonant, deep bodied mandolin under 900?

Default Recommendations for a resonant, deep bodied mandolin under 900?

(preface: I'm new to all this, so if my terminology is vague and inaccurate, forgive me) So my budget has increased. When I first bought a mandolin I thought I could get a great sounding one for about 150-300 dollars (because it's smaller, right?). And no disrespect towards the cheaper ones. Then I increased my standards a bit and aimed for about 300-400.

To get to the point, I figured out most of the mandolins that I think sound like what I want are in the 500 and above range. I want a mandolin that can play chords resonantly, basically the opposite of "chop". To put a price cap on it, the most I want to spend is no more than 900 dollars. Here's an example of what I'm going for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50uaDkE_NDo (The luthier of this mandolin haunts this place, I'm pretty sure.)

Examples of Mandolins I like:
    Martin A style 1920 Mandolin (I'm aware some of these aren't deep bodied but it's an example of a sound I like)
    Kalamazoo KM-11 (has "chop" but like the sound of the notes)
    Eastman 404 (kind of)
    Basically any Bandolims, so something close to a Bandolim without buying a Bandolim.

Basically, I want a sweet, deep and resonant sound. Aim aiming for something that's not meant for bluegrass. I've gotten recommendations for oval holes and flat tops, like Big Muddies, Eastman 404's and Kentuckies (specifically the 272).
    So if any of those are it, then feel free to recommend them again.
    Hope that's enough info.
    Last edited by MrGuineaPigLover; Jan-21-2023 at 12:32pm.

2. The following members say thank you to MrGuineaPigLover for this post:

Default Re: Recommendations for a resonant, deep bodied mandolin under 90

I don't know if this will help, but I bought a Big Muddy MW-O Jumbo last summer that works for me. Mike offers a jumbo body option on all of his mandolins that really adds the tonal depth I was looking for. The projection is great too. To me the tone has sweetened nicely with play over the last few months. It's not my only player, but it's a quality mandolin for the price. I think it's great for anything I consider Americana, old time or classical.

The jumbo body is a mandola body with a mandolin neck and scale so it tunes and plays like a normal mandolin. I also added a red spruce top, but there's other options based on what you might need. Mike is outstanding to deal with too. I had loads of questions and he patiently answered them all.

A note on cases/gigbags. The jumbo body fits most regular gigbags or cases. I bought a Kona a/f hardshell case that fits it like a glove. It also fits my Eastman MD-315 perfectly too.

Quote Originally Posted by Randolph Millsap View Post
    I don't know if this will help, but I bought a Big Muddy MW-O Jumbo last summer that works for me. Mike offers a jumbo body option on all of his mandolins that really adds the tonal depth I was looking for. The projection is great too. To me the tone has sweetened nicely with play over the last few months. It's not my only player, but it's a quality mandolin for the price. I think it's great for anything I consider Americana, old time or classical.

The jumbo body is a mandola body with a mandolin neck and scale so it tunes and plays like a normal mandolin. I also added a red spruce top, but there's other options based on what you might need. Mike is outstanding to deal with too. I had loads of questions and he patiently answered them all.

A note on cases/gigbags. The jumbo body fits most regular gigbags or cases. I bought a Kona a/f hardshell case that fits it like a glove. It also fits my Eastman MD-315 perfectly too.
    Alright. This might just sway me towards a jumbo Big Muddy. I've heard all good things about the mandolins and the person who makes them. Only other one I'm looking at is a Northfield Calhoun, but I'm not sure about that one. I'll do a little more research.

I don't know if this will help, but I bought a Big Muddy MW-O Jumbo last summer that works for me. Mike offers a jumbo body option on all of his mandolins that really adds the tonal depth I was looking for.
    The jumbo body is a mandola body with a mandolin neck and scale so it tunes and plays like a normal mandolin. I also added a red spruce top, but there's other options based on what you might need.
    Just one question, if I see one used, should I buy it, or is it better to get the customization that comes from ordering it from the source? Actually, two questions, what kind of sound difference does red spruce make? It's a regular, not a jumbo (not sure if I'm allowed to send the link). I'll probably order it from Big Muddy themselves this time, though.
    Last edited by MrGuineaPigLover; Jan-21-2023 at 3:49pm.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrGuineaPigLover View Post
    Basically, I want a sweet, deep and resonant sound. Aim aiming for something that's not meant for bluegrass.
    I don’t know how you feel about going vintage, and $900 does not buy what it used to, but the descriptors “sweet, deep and resonant” would make me think of an old Gibson paddlehead from before or after the Loar era (up through 1921, 1925 and later). Models such as the A-Jr. and A-0 have less ornamentation and thus tend to trade at lower prices.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I don’t know how you feel about going vintage, and $900 does not buy what it used to, but the descriptors “sweet, deep and resonant” would make me think of an old Gibson paddlehead from before or after the Loar era (up through 1921, 1925 and later). Models such as the A-Jr. and A-0 have less ornamentation and thus tend to trade at lower prices.
    That's a good option. However I think I've decided on the Big Muddy for now. I'll keep that option in mind for my next mandolin.
    Vintage buying is interesting to me for sure. One on hand, I like the older instruments, but on the other hand, playing a 100 year old instrument just feels a little weird to me, like I'm playing a treasure or a relic from a museum. Not to say that's a bad thing. Also, the Gibson A-Jr's seem to be going in the thousands on Reverb, if I'm looking at the right ones.

8. The following members say thank you to MrGuineaPigLover for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

(preface: I'm new to all this, so if my terminology is vague and inaccurate, forgive me) So my budget has increased. When I first bought a mandolin I thought I could get a great sounding one for about 150-300 dollars (because it's smaller, right?).
    Not sure how accurate this is but I believe I have read in this forum more than once that generally a mandolin of equal quality of a guitar will cost 2 to 3 times more than the guitar. Just to put costs of mandolins in perspective.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Not sure how accurate this is but I believe I have read in this forum more than once that generally a mandolin of equal quality of a guitar will cost 2 to 3 times more than the guitar. Just to put costs of mandolins in perspective.
    WOW. I thought it was equal cost. But yeah my original thinking was waaay off the mark.

... One on hand, I like the older instruments, but on the other hand, playing a 100 year old instrument just feels a little weird to me, like I'm playing a treasure or a relic from a museum. Not to say that's a bad thing...
    How much do you care how pristine it looks? My 1913 F2 looks kind of ratty but plays so nice. (I've put original tuners, pickguard and tailpiece cover on since.) It's a treasure to me, but no museum piece

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F2 Original small.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	581.3 KB 
ID:	205666

Of course, I still paid extra for the curlicue. I saw a pretty decent A2 local to me one time for $800. There's way too many good deals out there if you keep your eyes peeled.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    How much do you care how pristine it looks? My 1913 F2 looks kind of ratty but plays so nice. (I've put original tuners, pickguard and tailpiece cover on since.) It's a treasure to me, but no museum piece

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F2 Original small.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	581.3 KB 
ID:	205666

Of course, I still paid extra for the curlicue. I saw a pretty decent A2 local to me one time for $800. There's way too many good deals out there if you keep your eyes peeled.
    I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to make a deal right here in the forum, but that looks nice. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Teacher, repair person

Big Muddy is a well made mandolin.
    Martin A would also suit your purposes. They might tend to have a bit more high end than Big Muddy.

Either of those would probably be the most practical for your price range, because they are find-able in ready to go condition.

The Kalamazoo KM-11's often need structural work to get them into playing shape, so it would be a good idea to budget some repair money. That might put you over-budget.

================================================== ====================

Something else that hasn't been mentioned-- Vega flatback or cylinder back mandolins. The cylinder backs cost more, but are very responsive mandolins with very good sustain and a nice deep, but clear voice.

One caution: Vega tended to grind down their frets pretty low, and most of the ones I have seen played better after they had modern frets installed. Since most of them have bar frets instead of T-frets, special techniques are necessary to do the work. I've re-fretted about 8 or 10 of them with good results.

You can also look for an oval hole Gibson A, but although they have much better sustain than a typical f-hole model, they are not going to have as much sustaining quality as the flat top and cant top models mentioned above. And they're getting hard to find in serviceable condition within your budget.

And no, the cafe doesn't permit commerce in the forums, but I don't believe that Sue would turn loose of her Gibson anyway. And even a worn F-2 like hers would be out of your price range.

If you could find a way to add another $400 - $500 to your budget, you would have more choices.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jan-21-2023 at 6:46pm.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Big Muddy is a well made mandolin.
    Martin A would also suit your purposes. They might tend to have a bit more high end than Big Muddy.
    The Kalamazoo KM-11's often need structural work to get them into playing shape, so it would be a good idea to budget some repair money.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned-- Vega flatback or cylinder back mandolins. The cylinder backs cost more, but are very responsive mandolins with very good sustain and a nice deep, but clear voice.

One caution: Vega tended to grind down their frets pretty low, and most of the ones I have seen played better after they had modern frets installed. Since most of them have bar frets instead of T-frets, special techniques are necessary to do the work. I've re-fretted about 8 or 10 of them with good results.
    I still haven't one hundred percent confirmed my decision yet, so I'll look into Vega flatbacks and cylinders. The potential repair work does kind of turn me slightly away though.

Teacher, repair person

And the only Vega flat back I see on the market right now is way overpriced.
    Unless you can increase your budget, I'd stick with Big Muddy or the $900 Martin A.

I know you're thinking about a jumbo, but I think this one looks really good.https://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/sto...red-mandolin-2
    Add a hard case and your still way under budget.

18. The following members say thank you to Steve 2E for this post:

That's a good option. However I think I've decided on the Big Muddy for now. I'll keep that option in mind for my next mandolin.
    Vintage buying is interesting to me for sure. One on hand, I like the older instruments, but on the other hand, playing a 100 year old instrument just feels a little weird to me, like I'm playing a treasure or a relic from a museum. Not to say that's a bad thing. Also, the Gibson A-Jr's seem to be going in the thousands on Reverb, if I'm looking at the right ones.
    Don't overlook a Mid-Missouri in good condition. They are virtually the same as Big Muddy--made by the same guy. Same quality build.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rdeane For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Also, the Gibson A-Jr's seem to be going in the thousands on Reverb, if I'm looking at the right ones.
    There are two currently listed in budget with significant wear, one on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/65022119-gib...20-s-chocolate

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...oaAqOxEALw_wcB
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2E View Post
    I know you're thinking about a jumbo, but I think this one looks really good.https://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/sto...red-mandolin-2
    Add a hard case and your still way under budget.
    They sure don't sound confident about that one , but it's an option.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rdeane View Post
    Don't overlook a Mid-Missouri in good condition. They are virtually the same as Big Muddy--made by the same guy. Same quality build.
    Yeah, I like all the mid missouris I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    There are two currently listed in budget with significant wear, one on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/65022119-gib...20-s-chocolate

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gi...oaAqOxEALw_wcB
    Significant wear... seems likely. But hey, if they play.

I just want to avoid the hassle of repairs after buying an instrument.

Just one question, if I see one used, should I buy it, or is it better to get the customization that comes from ordering it from the source? Actually, two questions, what kind of sound difference does red spruce make? It's a regular, not a jumbo (not sure if I'm allowed to send the link). I'll probably order it from Big Muddy themselves this time, though.
    I almost bought a Calhoun instead, but I've never had a mandolin built for me before so I was all about picking options I wanted. I'd only heard good things about Big Muddy and Mike. Buying from a small but quality builder at a great price didn't hurt my decision.

Red spruce (Adirodack spruce) sounds a little more defined, but sweeter to me if that makes any sense. It's subtle and may not be worth it to you. I picked the walnut back and sides since I have several instruments made of it and figured, why not?

If you find a great used mandolin at a good price then grab it. There's lots of great mandolins to choose from in the used market. You might have to wait for the right one to show up. Ask questions until you're confident you want to buy it, and check the return policy just in case.

They sure don't sound confident about that one , but it's an option.
    Just a suggestion. I don't think it'll stay at their shop for too long.

If you find a great used mandolin at a good price then grab it. There's lots of great mandolins to choose from in the used market. You might have to wait for the right one to show up. Ask questions until you're confident you want to buy it, and check the return policy just in case.
    Well said. But I wonder, are most (or at least some) of these instruments set up already? And how do I tell? (I guess I can figure that out by asking questions) If they are used I assume they will be playable, and not be damaged during shipping.

My problem with finding a good mandolin is that I don't like a lot of styles of music on the mandolin, no disrespect toward bluegrass, and I feel a lot of mandolins have that kind of (twangy?) sound meant for bluegrass whereas I'm looking for a less bright and more mellow tone. Mellow yet resonant. I looked up some demos of a Big Muddy, and it sounded great but a little too bright for my liking.
    So it's a good idea to be EXTRA SURE before buying, however obvious that may seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2E View Post
    Just a suggestion. I don't think it'll stay at their shop for too long.
    Hmm... It's not a bad idea, but I'd have to hear a sound sample of it first.

Well said. But I wonder, are most (or at least some) of these instruments set up already? And how do I tell? (I guess I can figure that out by asking questions) If they are used I assume they will be playable, and not be damaged during shipping.

My problem with finding a good mandolin is that I don't like a lot of styles of music on the mandolin, no disrespect toward bluegrass, and I feel a lot of mandolins have that kind of (twangy?) sound meant for bluegrass whereas I'm looking for a less bright and more mellow tone. Mellow yet resonant. I looked up some demos of a Big Muddy, and it sounded great but a little too bright for my liking.
    So it's a good idea to be EXTRA SURE before buying, however obvious that may seem.
    A mandolin is such a wonderful flourish and sparkle in music but, yes it doesn't play much outside of its timbral range. Have you considered mandola?

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

I second the suggestion of thinking about a mandola instead - FYI Big Muddy and Mid-Missouri mandolas come up in the classifieds from time to time here at decent prices, certainly within your price range. I had a Mid-Missouri mandola for awhile that a friend gave me and it was a lovely instrument.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    I second the suggestion of thinking about a mandola instead - FYI Big Muddy and Mid-Missouri mandolas come up in the classifieds from time to time here at decent prices, certainly within your price range. I had a Mid-Missouri mandola for awhile that a friend gave me and it was a lovely instrument.
    So many good options, MrGuineaPigLover.

I also have a Mid Missouri mandola, a 1999 M15. It needed a little work when I got it, but it's wonderful now, and came with a super nice TKL case. I have much less than the upper end of your budget into it.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar