Thread: Strings for a K-1 Mandocello

Default Strings for a K-1 Mandocello

I recently acquired a vintage K-1 mandocello and found out that the low C strings on a D'addario set at .078 are too thick to fit through the vintage tuner post holes. Anyone determined what gauge they will accept? Any preferred sets for your K-1?

Default Re: Strings for a K-1 Mandocello

Quote Originally Posted by sykofiddle View Post
    I recently acquired a vintage K-1 mandocello and found out that the low C strings on a D'addario set at .078 are too thick to fit through the vintage tuner post holes. Anyone determined what gauge they will accept? Any preferred sets for your K-1?
    They fit mine just fine.

The tension was too much for an old repair. The luthier put on a lighter set as he didn't have the correct on hand. I haven't changed them yet, but will put together my own set, something like 18 28 42 65 or 18 26 41 62.

I thought D'addario J78's were .074 on the C string. But for easier playing I use Newtone custom made strings, C is .070; lighter action still good sound. I had a K2 (same build as K2) and now a K4 but on both the lighter strings were better. Mike Marshall also recommends lighter. But another factor is set-up: I played borrowed K1's when I traveled to CMSA and Germany (WILL NOT take my K4 on a plane) and they felt quite different. Have it checked--the nut and bridge especially, and try lighter strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Imhoff View Post
    I thought D'addario J78's were .074 on the C string. But for easier playing I use Newtone custom made strings, C is .070; lighter action still good sound. I had a K2 (same build as K2) and now a K4 but on both the lighter strings were better. Mike Marshall also recommends lighter. But another factor is set-up: I played borrowed K1's when I traveled to CMSA and Germany (WILL NOT take my K4 on a plane) and they felt quite different. Have it checked--the nut and bridge especially, and try lighter strings.
    That's right - it's .074 but it definitely doesn't fit. Are the Newtones a set you put together from single strings?

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As I recall there was a recent thread where a D'Addario representative said they might be reconsidering their string gauges for mandocello. Hoping we'll hear news about that; I suspect we need lighter sets to approximate the string tension that the old Gibson mandocellos were designed for.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

6. The following members say thank you to August Watters for this post:

I was able to get loop end 0.70's from Curt Mangan and just used the Octave set for the rest. Gold Tone Makes a lighter Mandocello set but they are ball end.
    I have tried going as low as 68 on some other mandocellos and wasn't really happy with it (open C not deep enough), not sure where that cut off is, I suppose it depends on the scale.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Quote Originally Posted by sykofiddle View Post
    That's right - it's .074 but it definitely doesn't fit. Are the Newtones a set you put together from single strings?
    Not sure I understand the question, but Newtone will make a set--all 8-- to your chosen specs. I didn't put it together, I just sent them the gauges I wanted for each course.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Imhoff View Post
    Not sure I understand the question, but Newtone will make a set--all 8-- to your chosen specs. I didn't put it together, I just sent them the gauges I wanted for each course.
    Thanks, you answered it. I was wondering if you assembled the set and custom ordered it, or if it is a standard set offered by Newtone.

This has me curious; anyone else have sykofiddle's problem?

Blog Entries

I do on my short scale bowlback mandoloncello. I have to unwind and remake tge taper further down the string. (I put the string in a vice just above the nut position then undo the windings and remake the taper)
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

I was recently able to get the great folks at Curt Mangan Strings to make up a custom "Mandocello Light" set for my 1912 Gibson K-1, which they now sell on their website, curtmangan.com. CGDA gauges are 70-46-30-20, and they seem to be quite compatible with the instrument (just a little buzz on the C string if you drive it really hard). They are MUCH more playable than the standard D'Addario set, and the tone is much better, too. Curt also told me that he is open to considering making up a Monel set for vintage Gibson mandlocellos, similar to what they were strung with originally, if enough people show an interest!

Hi Tom. Didn’t know you played mandocello.

Nice of you to join us.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Tom, that is a good tip about Curt Mangan Monel strings.

I’m a big fan of Monel on mandolin and look forward to trying them on the H2 and H4 mandolas and the K2 ‘cello!

I just received this reply from Curt:

We have plans to offer mandola, octave mandolin and mandocello in Monel.
    We just have not had the time to get it done yet.
    Good news is we now have adequate supplies of Monel to begin the process.
    Please check back in about 30-days.
    Curt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	573B5985-295D-4B2E-877C-923C4E9672D2.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	192264
    Mark Lynch

Had a 1912 K1 here for a bit that wanted even lighter C strings. Finally settled on 62s.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Mark, thanks for following up with Curt Mangan about the Monel strings. I will be eagerly waiting, as well, to see what he comes up with. It will be interesting to compare the sound and playability compared to the PB strings I have been using on my mandola, OM and Mandocello.

And Bill, nice to hear from you! I look forward to getting back together once live jamming becomes possible again. Looks like you have been on this site for a long time!!