Thread: Brilliant learning resource from Duke Sharp

Default Brilliant learning resource from Duke Sharp

I'm working my way through the rather brilliant Garage Band Theory, a very impressive work by Duke Sharp.

Duke claims that his book is "......non Academic, practical, useful theory for living-room pickers and working musicians who want to be able to think coherently about music in order to ask questions and understand answers about the music they want to play."

The review quotes from famous names were enough to get my attention.

“Don’t be put off by this giant book— Duke’s got the secrets of the universe in here. Quite simply, this is the most comprehensive book on music theory I’ve ever seen.” Bill Payne, Little Feat

“Garage Band Theory is a must for any musician.” Rodney Crowell

“Something for every musician at any level. Especially helpful is the musical notation and tablature for a variety of instruments. This book inspires me to learn and practice more.” Sam Bush

I have bought quite a number of books that claim to make learning about the important rudiments that control our music simple (they almost always fail); this is at the same time the most comprehensive as well as the most easy to grasp. The blurb says it gives us 'Tools the pro's use to play by ear.' And so far, it has delivered.

There are perhaps a couple of slightly confusing things needing cleared up. Number one is that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the music software of the same name. Number two is that it somehow manages to illustrate how professionals play by ear by, and here is the confusing bit, helping the reader understand vitally important elements of musical theory.

It is a mighty resource - six hundred pages of e-Book (a print version is available at an understandably higher cost) with hundreds of examples illustrated in musical notation and TAB (for guitar and mandolin and banjo - and with an impressive back-up of freely available online material, audio files included.

Intrigued? Go to the Amazon listing and click on the 'Look Inside' feature to view the Contents page, which illustrates just how comprehensive Duke Sharp's coverage of his topic is.

For the record: I am very slightly acquainted with Duke Sharp, though we have never met. He spends some time in Thailand, and is a friend of a friend. He did not ask me to talk about his book. I do that because I am very, very impressed by a genuinely useful learning resource that he has put a huge amount of work into.

ron mcmillan
    Last edited by Ron McMillan; Feb-27-2017 at 4:21am. Reason: clarity

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: Garage Band Theory - brilliant learning resource from Duke Sh

Am I the only one who thought this was about a manual for Apple recording software?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Am I the only one who thought this was about a manual for Apple recording software?
    Definite error on my part. I have asked the Cafe if it is possible to edit the title.

Default Re: Brilliant learning resource from Duke Sharp

I started reading this book last week on Google Books. So far, it is great; I've asked for a hard copy for my upcoming birthday. (I'm a hard copy kind of person)

Though I'm only up to Chapter 2 on counting, and I do have some previous (not string instrument though) music background - I've already learned some good stuff.

I really like the down to earth approach, but what really spoke to me is this quote from the introduction:

"Explaining music theory is a little like trying to unravel a rope that is all tangled up into a big knot. Everything is connected to everything else. There isn't really an absolutely correct starting point, you just sort of start picking at it, and after awhile, it starts coming undone."

I have felt this overwhelming feeling of "where do you start" in learning about music. I am very good at untangling ropes, strings, neck chains, etc. and "Everything is connected to everything else" is the First Law of Ecology as taught by my undergrad ecology prof **. Inspiring and reassuring. Now I am playing, studying, smiling and waiting for the knot to start loosening up

** (In case you are curious, 2nd and 3rd Laws of Ecology are: 2. There's no such thing as a free lunch. 3. Mother Nature is a b*tch.)

Agreed!! See my thoughts at:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...nd-Theory-book

Great book.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I probably saw your thread and then forgot about it. I knew I'd seen something about this book here. It's tough to get old

I started by looking at the last chapter: Putting It All Together. That told me that doing the whole book would be worthwhile LOL. Chipping away at it. I very much admire people who have a good understanding / feeling for teaching others - and Duke has it.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Wow, Ron, that is an impressive endorsement. I discovered the book through Tim's earlier post and read through the first chapter and viewed contents. Was impressed with the author's gift for broaching the subject in an illustrative, conversational manner. Saw the price tag and declined to purchase it - but now, I think I need to go ahead and find the electronic version. Thanks for bringing it to our attention again.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Got it!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Anybody using this book take a look at the recommended resource book Syncopation For The Modern Drummer by Ted Reed? What do you think?

Also, on their website here there is a great "electronic bundle" that includes music and other extras at a great price. I could possibly forgo the hard copy if I could print out pages to study from.

I've since gotten to know Duke quite well, partly because the Covid crisis has meant he has spent the last year here in North Thailand. He is a real gent with a huge basis of musical knowledge that he is extremely eager to share, hence the prodigious amount of work that he has put into this fine book. I will try to encourage him to join in this discussion and field enquiries from interested parties.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

Hey Bertram

"Am I the only one who thought this was about a manual for Apple recording software?"
    You're not the only one, but pretty sure it doesn't happen often - the product description is pretty clear, I think.
    Did you buy it thinking that? Can I make it right somehow?

Here's a 2 star review from Amazon: :-)

Jerry Janes
    2.0 out of 5 stars Not garageband book
    December 27, 2017
    Verified Purchase
    Does do thing with garageband

Duke

Thanks Ron, very much appreciated! How's the pentatonic keyboard workout coming?
    Duke

Hi Sue,

Thank you for posting that link, I really appreciate it!

You said "I could possibly forgo the hard copy if I could print out pages to study from"
    The GBT Big Bundle includes a PDF so you can print pages easily. https://garagebandtheory.com/buy-now-updated/

Thanks again, and glitches or whatever, let me know.

Duke

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duke Sharp For This Useful Post:

Thank you Mark! :-)
    Duke

Hi Sue,

Glad to hear you're finding stuff you can use, there's actually a lot in there.

"Playing and smiling" is what it's all about. I play and practice every day too and one of the best things is that it takes enough concentration that while we're doing it, the rest of the planet fades way into the background.

You said" I've asked for a hard copy for my upcoming birthday."

Well for a birthday, I can make a better discount than Amazon - send me a note at ds@garagebandtheory.com.

I hadn't encountered those Laws of Ecology before - but I do kinda wish it wasn't so - afraid we're in the process of having #3 take center stage.

Thanks!
    Duke

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duke Sharp For This Useful Post:

Just bought the bundle. Thanks for the tip!

Duke said:

Re: Brilliant learning resource from Duke Sharp
    Thanks Ron, very much appreciated! How's the pentatonic keyboard workout coming?
    Duke

Hi Duke,

Sixteen months into learning the piano after starting at 61 years old, and I tell ya, it's a slow process that is taking up most of what used to be mandolin time :-)
    Last edited by Ron McMillan; Nov-08-2020 at 11:25am. Reason: incorporate what Duke said