Thread: Andy Statman's Jazz Mandolin series

Default Andy Statman's Jazz Mandolin series

I bought the tapes and the book a long time ago. I still do not have a clue how Andy does what he does. I took a lesson with him but never went back. I think I need to take lessons with someone else before going back to Andy for lessons.
    I did learn some of the tunes in the Dawg Mandolin series but I can only play them the one way they are written. I do not have a clue how to play a solo on the tunes.
    I did take out of the library the book on jazz music theory by Mark Levine published by Sher Music. It just seems like too much to learn.
    I am currently working with Don Julin's MANDOLIN EXERCISES FOR DUMMIES. The fingerings for some of the scales still hurt to play. I like the book.
    David Herman

Default Re: Andy Statman's Jazz Mandolin series

I have that series too. Don’t even have a way to play the cassettes anymore..

The Mark Levine book is very good, and if you really want to understand theory you will need to tackle it or the equivalent at some point. For now, why don’t you start with Jerry Coker’s book “Improvising Jazz”? You don’t have to know EVERYTHING before beginning to improvise. Of course a good teacher is the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    I have that series too. Don’t even have a way to play the cassettes anymore..

The Mark Levine book is very good, and if you really want to understand theory you will need to tackle it or the equivalent at some point. For now, why don’t you start with Jerry Coker’s book “Improvising Jazz”? You don’t have to know EVERYTHING before beginning to improvise. Of course a good teacher is the best way to go.
    That Jerry Coker book has been a solid source of inspiration for over a decade. Great recommendation!

Also, my cassette player works just fine, I'd be happy to take those Statman tapes off your hands...

4. The following members say thank you to Hayes Griffin for this post:

I have other books and tapes. The ones by Sam Bush and the Mel Bay books by Jethro Burns. They are pretty good but I think the best one I have is Bluegrass Up The Neck by Niles. There are things in there I have never seen in any other mandolin book. I was able to move out of first position. Where you put your index finger is very important!
    David Herman

6. The following members say thank you to domradave for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Griffin View Post
    That Jerry Coker book has been a solid source of inspiration for over a decade. Great recommendation!
    Yes, the Coker book is great for learning modern jazz. Just don't forget to learn how to play the chord changes/chord arpeggio method too - it helps you make sense of the chord/scale method.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Yes, the Coker book is great for learning modern jazz. Just don't forget to learn how to play the chord changes/chord arpeggio method too - it helps you make sense of the chord/scale method.
    I think Improvising Jazz is a good place to start.

Another good one is Coker's Patterns for Jazz. That one will get the chords under your fingers and in your ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes Griffin View Post

Also, my cassette player works just fine, I'd be happy to take those Statman tapes off your hands...
    OK. If i can find, you can have them.