Thread: Another Newbie Here

Post Another Newbie Here

Hello All,
    I like others are looking for my first mandolin, and like others on a budget to $700. Any suggestions? Was looking at either Eastman, Kentucky, and Loar, f style mandolins, but will be interested in other makes that maybe suggested.
    I'm interested in Bluegrass, country and folk music. I do play guitar, banjo, and ukulele, and thought I expand into the mandolin. Any insight will be greatly appreciated, thank you all in advance.
    Last edited by W2DWL; Oct-26-2021 at 10:15pm.

Resident Hack

Default Re: Another Newbie Here

Welcome!

A lot of brave pioneers have come through these parts asking the same questions. Read read read and ask yourself what sort of sound you're looking for.
    Off the top advice, for a no thinking approach is look for a used Eastman 505.
    What I play
    2021 Skip Kelley Two-Point
    Eastwood 'Ricky'
    Morgan Monroe RT-1E
    Epiphone Genesis guitars
    Various Basses

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Same here. I just bought my first mandolin from Elderly Instruments, a Kentucky KM-250, and it came with a gig bag. This mandolin is the one recommended by mandolinlessons.com as a good starter mandolin.

The mandolin itself was only $525, but I also got a bunch of accessories, Tone Guard, arm rest, leather strap, strings, harmonic dampeners, so it crept up to ~$700.

The good thing about buying from Elderly is they do a full setup on the mandolins before they ship them. Whatever and where ever you buy, be sure your new mandolin gets a full professional setup before they send it to you.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Playing on the porch

Of the three mandolin makers you listed, and I have played all three, I preferred the Eastman. I completely agree that whichever mandolin you finally select, you do want a professional setup done on it.

Welcome to the mandolin life. Have fun!
    ---
    2021 Ellis F5 Special #564 mandolin
    1928 Roth violin
    2016 Eastman MD515 mandolin
    1907 Foltz violin

Blog Entries

Welcome to the best place around, phydaux!

Regardless of which you choose in that group of three, you have set your sights well. See also my "signature", below, to get Rob Meldrum's book. It is like an owner's manual showing how a mandolin works.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Rereading your OP, the heart wants what the heart wants, but going F Style will add ~$200 over the cost of a similar A Style. That's one of the reasons I went with the A Style KM-250. Again the heart wants what the heart wants, I totally get that. I'm just sayin'.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

7. The following members say thank you to Dan in NH for this post:

Used options are always a way of saving a bit. I got an Eastman MD515 in great shape for $700 off The Gear Page, had been recently set-up (though I've tweaked it a bit), and I think it sounds pretty good. I'm new to this mando thing, too, but it seemed like I would be losing money if I didn't buy it ...

Blog Entries

oops! I meant to say welcome to the OP, W2DWL. But, heck, welcome to all!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Under 1k, I'd go with an Eastman. MD-505 is an unbeatable mando for the money and comes with a hard case. For the first year or two, you really don't need anything other than a good instrument, an occasional string change (recommend EJ74 or equivalent), whatever picks you like (I'd probably start with something around 1mm, or "heavy"), and a decent tuner. Any other accessories are unnecessary when you're first learning and some of them are just plan unnecessary.

Blog Entries

For what it's worth, I got my Eastman MD-315 for under 700 and I'm really pleased with it. To my ears it punches above its weight (I like it better than at least one 515 I played, for example). I did play before buying though and I'd absolutely recommend doing that if you can. Prices and trends obviously exist for a reason, but at the individual level more money doesn't always mean a better sounding mandolin, especially when factoring in personal taste.
    Diego

Eastman MD315
    Kentucky KM505
    JBovier ELS
    ---
    Ivan Dunov VL402 Violin

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm starting with an Eastman MD-315. No complaints. Mine did come with a pro setup.

NFI on my part: Going all "ham sandwich" here, since it's not one of the brands the OP mentioned, and not an F style BUT this is a great price for a US made instrument:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/178129#178129
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

It's your money, but I'd spend mine on that Breedlove.

Thank you, I will look into the Eastman 505.

Yes i will look into the 505

Thank you Mitch, I will look into the 505

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    NFI on my part: Going all "ham sandwich" here, since it's not one of the brands the OP mentioned, and not an F style BUT this is a great price for a US made instrument:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/178129#178129
    Humm,, Breedlove, something to consider, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Little JC View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm starting with an Eastman MD-315. No complaints. Mine did come with a pro setup.
    I was considering the 315, but I thought I post here and get other suggestions, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GMorgan View Post
    Of the three mandolin makers you listed, and I have played all three, I preferred the Eastman. I completely agree that whichever mandolin you finally select, you do want a professional setup done on it.

Welcome to the mandolin life. Have fun!
    Thank you, yes I agree on the professional setup.

To everyone with their fine suggestions, now to see what I can find, and hopefully play before buying, but if I have to get one with out playing first well then I hope for the best, thank you everyone.