Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gratitude

Default Gratitude

I went to a 12 step meeting concerning the topic of gratitude then read the Gilchrist thread. Normally when I read a thread about a high end maker or go to Carter Vintage and play a great mandolin, I get MAS really bad. When I read the Gilchrist thread I felt really grateful that I have my Ellis F5 that I consider in the same quality range (although the price is much lower than a comparable Gilchrist). I feel content that I have an instrument that more than fulfills my mandolin needs. I remember reading a thread on Gibson MM that stoked my desire to get on. I called a local person who did not have a Gibson MM but did have a Ricky Skaggs DMM. I sold my Ellis F5 and bought the DMM. After a number of months, I realized that while the DMM is a lovely, easy to play great sounding instrument, I wanted my Ellis back. I sold the DMM and had Tom Ellis make me another F5 with slightly different specs. I am totally comfortable with my F5 (and my other instruments). So I can go to Carter Vintage and really enjoy a few hours playing some really fabulous instruments, I have no desire to buy one. I have gratitude for the wonderful instruments I have.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to red7flag For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gratitude

No wonder! That is a serious list!

I am grateful for the Mandolin’s I have, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be grateful for one more

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

I am Grateful for the mandolins I have too, but I would be really Grateful If I can get my hands on a Gilchrist[smile]
    Best

Great thought. Have also been thinking about similar things recently. Instead of wanting to upgrade to something "better" am trying more to appreciate and be grateful for what I already have. Doesn't mean that MAS is put to rest yet. But am working on it.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I am grateful also. My Randy Wood F 5 has held up, or surpassed, a Gilchrist and a Gibson and many others in jams that I have attended. Randy cured my MAS.

Blog Entries

I won't ever play at a level where anything I currently own hinders my skill. Desire for some other mandolins as objects still grips me from time to time but, I have my signature line for a reason!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    So I can go to Carter Vintage and really enjoy a few hours playing some really fabulous instruments, I have no desire to buy one.
    The folks at Carter Vintage are great. I'm sure they welcome you're instrument 'browsing' with smiling faces and open arms. Ultimately though, they keep the doors open through sales.
    And through years of experience, they know the odds are in their favor.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Flatrock, while I have not bought a mandolin at Carter's, I have bought a guitar. I also have sold a lot of instruments by consignment through Carter's during the last year. I would never take advantage of their hospitality. Walter and his staff have always treated me extremely well.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red7flag For This Useful Post:

My point wasn't meant to accuse you of taking advantage. My point was that they (Walter and Christie) know that all it takes is a little temptation. Good luck!
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Flatrock, sorry I misunderstood your post.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Has their ever been a sponsor ad on here by a behavioural psychologist offering to cure mandomania? I've been on a bunch of Forums for different instruments over the years, and this is the only one I've seen where folks put their axe craving affliction right out in the signature for the world to see I did know a guy who collected double basses though - he had 9 of them, but then they were tools of his trade.

Quote Originally Posted by maxr View Post
    Has their ever been a sponsor ad on here by a behavioural psychologist offering to cure mandomania? I've been on a bunch of Forums for different instruments over the years, and this is the only one I've seen where folks put their axe craving affliction right out in the signature for the world to see I did know a guy who collected double basses though - he had 9 of them, but then they were tools of his trade.
    Collecting is an activity that many enjoy. Net forums are convenient gathering points for folks who collect. Every instrument forum I visit has this element - even harps, although not as conspicuous as guitars, mandolins, etc.

I always thought mandolins are the ultimate fetish instrument: small, easy to ship, easy to play, lovely to look at, bright sound, etc

What is the best brand of mandolin to buy?

Last edited by pops1; Feb-26-2021 at 3:25pm.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

"There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946" - JESTanek
    - words to live by I am sure, but I will quote Gillian Welch in response

"it's only what I want that makes me weep"
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

20. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Lol...

I'm not in this price or quality range with my 2002 F-9, but especially with the custom work I've had done on it, I get the same level of satisfaction...

A Fern came up in discussion as available to me in a trade/purchase from a close friend pro player, and as much as I love listening to him play it, I prefer my F-9 for these reasons:

1) I really don't play well enough for a Fern.
    2) He's really good, plays on stage often and really should be playing a Fern, not an F-9
    3) I would want the same mods done on the Fern as I've had done on my F-9, and I would have some hesitation about modding a Fern.
    4) I really like the tone, playability and dark, woody simplicity of my F-9.
    5) I'd really like to do other things with the money involved with this kind of trade/purchase.

I've specifically listed these things here so I'll have a reminder to look at if I get tempted more. My wife and I are both grateful for having a public place to post this.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by wilburmluong View Post
    That's a complicated topic with varied answers. If you start a thread, telling your own musical and mandolin background, your musical interests (e.g., bluegrass, Celtic, classical), and your budget, you'll get plenty of advice. Good luck.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by wilburmluong View Post
    Beware... A good mandolin can be addictive and just might become your new favorite hobby. The whole 'web development' thing may suffer.

I agree that no mandolin that I own will ever hold me back from progressing in my mandolin journey. I am grateful for what I have, and very much enjoy them. I occasionally suffer bouts of MAS, but my finances very much help keep that in check.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post

One point of my original post was that above a certain point, the "best" is really subjective and what best fits a player's style. So while I am a big fan of the Gilchrist, Ellis just fits me best. I love playing Gil's, Gibson MMs and DMMs, Dudes and all the rest. But for me, my best is Ellis and I am truly grateful for mine.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

One point of my original post was that above a certain point, the "best" is really subjective and what best fits a player's style.
    In your experience, what is that “point,” Tony?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Pheff, that is a great question. My first thought was a dollar point, but honestly, there are outstanding F5s, for example, that have price points under ten thousand. I guess for me that point are instrument makers that produce high quality in fit and finish, tone and playability. So, for example, I would put Kimble on my list. Most that would be on my list would be over ten k new retail.
    Tony Huber
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

My first thought was a dollar point, but honestly, there are outstanding F5s, for example, that have price points under ten thousand. I guess for me that point are instrument makers that produce high quality in fit and finish, tone and playability. So, for example, I would put Kimble on my list. Most that would be on my list would be over ten k new retail.
    I struggle with the dollar point because it’s based on supply and demand and not necessarily “high quality in fit and finish, tone and playability.” Take our friend Gail Hester. I don’t know what she’s charging these days, or how long the estimated wait time, but is anyone building a better mandolin than her?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I'm with many others here. My instruments are more than adequate for my talent level and playing opportunities. A couple years back we were playing warm up for a touring group and their mandolin player was excited to see my Ratliff because he had one on order from Audie. He really liked playing it and made me realize I've got my lifer. Hearing a really good musician play it (hearing from the front side for a change) I think it's all I'll ever need. There's still a lot of potential I can tap in to there.
    No condescension here towards any one who enjoys buying, playing, trading, collecting instruments. My little weakness is old woodworking tools. Some of which I'll never use (200 years old). It's an inexpensive (think yard sales) little hobby compared to mandolins.
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I'm grateful for all my instruments. None of them is what would likely be considered an outstanding, museum-quality or performance-pride-providing instrument, but they do ever so kindly provide me with pleasure-producing music when I play them. They rarely if ever let me down; I'm more likely to let them down by being unable to realize their full potential. That is, in more talented hands, they could very well produce better music than I am able to coax from them. I'm fine with that, and grateful for it, as I know they've got what it takes.

More often than not, I believe it's my limitations, not the instrument's, that causes frustration in them being unable to make the music I want to hear. I could practice more - I could surely at least play more - though it's usually enough to know they're there when I want to play music. So far, they're putting up with whatever I put them through, and not showing many ill effects. So far.

I do occasionally get a bit of a bug for wanting something else. Usually it's a pipe dream, and I know it. I rarely act on these impulses, though I just did a few days ago, when a really nice A-4 wandered into my sights. I might have let it wander off again, as I usually do, but it shares the same year and finish as my mandola. The notion of having such a matched pair was irresistible. And I lucked out with the purchase price, an unexpected blessing. I'm grateful for that, too. Otherwise, I still have a hankering for a vintage F-2 or F-4. That may have to go back to the one-of-these-days back burner for now. I anticipate the pleasure I'll get from the A-4 will keep such feelings at bay for a good long while. And for that, too, I am also grateful.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

31. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: