Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Stops Question

Default Re: Double Stops Question

I use a lot of double stops in my playing. They are great where you don't want to chord but you want more than just a melody. I also like to use them along with the melody.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

2. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I found this book to be effective, and a delight. For both fiddle and mandolin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41tFGK5JAjL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	192479
    I mentioned it above here. There is also a 2nd volume and transcriptions for viola. There may very well be transcriptions for other stringed instruments.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I just ordered Pete Martin's Double Stops book.

I love the feature of Amazon that lets you look inside the book. Looks like it's geared for a player who is just stepping into the double stop world.

Pete is a regular contributor on the Cafe, too.
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    I just ordered Pete Martin's Double Stops book.

I love the feature of Amazon that lets you look inside the book. Looks like it's geared for a player who is just stepping into the double stop world.

Pete is a regular contributor on the Cafe, too.
    I also have Pete's materials and have referred to them recently.

Toomas Rannu has ten arrangements of some Finnish folks songs, simple melodies but solos accompanied by double stops. Check this thread. He has a link for the pdfs of these notated with fingering/tabs. Scroll down to post #8.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Toomas Rannu has ten arrangements of some Finnish folks songs, simple melodies but solos accompanied by double stops. Check this thread. He has a link for the pdfs of these notated with fingering/tabs. Scroll down to post #8.
    Nice! Right now I'm happy to be focusing on first position, which involves drones, of course. These look like some great studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry Cadenhead View Post
    My biggest problem, I think, is I have no aptitude for playing music. I just signed up for an acoustic gospel jam, after almost always playing by myself.
    Starting to play with folks is a huge adjustment for many of us. You can get the feel by pulling up something on YouTube and click on the little gear wheel in the corner. This allows you to slow the tune down closer to your speed. Tone is a bit funky but the notes remain true to the key. Then there are apps like iReel.

As for double stops, they can work in any genre. Chuck Berry thrived on double stops.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

9. The following members say thank you to A-board for this post:

Do you generally use double stops only when playing bluegrass? I don't play bluegrass and the practice pieces I've been given I've never heard of. I went through some of my own music and double stops seem to be few and far between.
    Yes I generally do, I have a set of double stops for keys A D G C that I like.
    best............

11. The following members say thank you to Willow20 for this post:

I love double stops, especially down the fretboard. Using various chord shapes I noodled around to find the melody. The nice thing about fifths is the shapes works in any key

13. The following members say thank you to Doug Edwards for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=JeffD;1812091]I use double stops all the time, where a harmony may be needed. Its very mandolinny, but I don't think of it as exclusively bluegrassy.

Hammer-ons and slides are more bluegrassy, IMO, and can have the effect in other music (old time for example) of advertising that one also plays bluegrass. Chop chords are, IMO, exclusively bluegrass.[/QUO

HO's, slides and PO's are (or should be) used extensively regardless of idiom. Chop chords are simply closed form chords. These too are used extensively outside Bluegrass. And there's much more, even in Bluegrass, to rhythm playing than just chopping on the offbeat

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I mentioned it above here.
    Indeed. I am so used to going by the cover that I didn't even recognize the reference.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

I think of double stops as part of the chord as mentioned above. 1-3, 3-5, 1-5 etc. It isn't always true but generally you'll be good with one of those. Then you can invert them for a different sound. When you practice scales do them with double stops and pretty soon your fingers are just wanting to go there. They are invaluable when you start cross picking because they allow you to cross pick anywhere on the fingerboard.
    We few, we happy few.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ritchhart View Post
    I think of double stops as part of the chord as mentioned above. 1-3, 3-5, 1-5 etc. It isn't always true but generally you'll be good with one of those. Then you can invert them for a different sound. When you practice scales do them with double stops and pretty soon your fingers are just wanting to go there. They are invaluable when you start cross picking because they allow you to cross pick anywhere on the fingerboard.
    John, do you know of a resource for double stops scales? I like the idea.

And it's interesting you mention crosspicking in connection with double stops. My teacher said the same thing at my lesson this week. I don't see double stops, but simply individual notes. Maybe I'll have an "aha" moment one of these days.

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

And it's interesting you mention crosspicking in connection with double stops. My teacher said the same thing at my lesson this week. I don't see double stops, but simply individual notes. Maybe I'll have an "aha" moment one of these days.
    I don't know of one, Sherry, except Laura's (pickloser) paper on the subject. I kind of found them myself but people showed me some things as well.
    Last edited by John Ritchhart; Mar-19-2021 at 9:19pm.
    We few, we happy few.

Sherry: your violin teacher would certainly know. I think they are also called harmonized scales.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Sone violin scale exercise books have harmonised scales, and scales in octaves. Parallel 5ths (one finger across 2 strings, tune it by rocking your finger to favour one string or the other) can be useful, some jazz fiddlers used them a lot.

Schradieck's Complete Scale Studies has harmonized scales in octaves, thirds, sixths, and tenths. Seems like pretty advanced stuff to me which may be why your violin teacher may hold off with these. I am sure there are other methods that use similar etudes.

On the mandolin side, Calace Method, Book 2 has harmonized scale etudes in 11 keys for thirds, sixths and octaves.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

23. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

DougC 

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    Thanks, Sue. I don't know why, but I find it extremely difficult to learn by watching someone play, even if they do it slowly. I do much better reading notation.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ritchhart View Post
    I don't know of one, Sherry, except Laura's (pickloser) paper on the subject. I kind of found them myself but people showed me some things as well.
    I have Pickloser's Guide to Double Stops. It seems to me a very tedious way to learn and I don't have the patience. I'm probably approaching it wrong.

Jim and Max, I believe I have some harmonized scale exercises in my collection. Dumb me, I didn't make the connection between them and double stops until you mentioned them. I'm (slowly) studying Alfred's Essentials of Music Theory. If I can force myself to finish the basic stuff, I'm bound to get to harmonized scales.

Edit: I've been playing double stops exercises from Bud Orr's Anthology of Mandolin Music. As I look at them now, I see they move up and down the scale. That hadn't registered with me until now.
    Last edited by Sherry Cadenhead; Mar-20-2021 at 10:06am.

It may have been mentioned but Sharon Gilchrist has a lesson at Peghead on DS, she calls them “neighborhoods”, also while practicing scales and such is never bad, I’d just pick the keys you play in for right now and practice finding the 1 4 5 DS.

For instance if it’s bluegrass/OT/folk in G you could do:

G - 45xx
    C - 52xx
    D - 24xx or 74xx or x45x

Then find them somewhere else:

G - x52x
    C - x23x
    D - x45x

Finally

G - xx23
    C - x53x or x23x
    D - x45x or xx52

You’ll learn how to move around efficiently and how to mute strings/hit only the ones you want. Go slow and just strum them to a chord progression at first and watch your fingers, you’ll see the patterns develop, then try out on tune. As to your question about when to play them, just put them in a tune be it bluegrass to classical and see if you like it, if you don’t move on and try something else. It really only matters what you think sounds good, some people may frown and like I said in another thread of yours...politely ignore them and have fun.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Sue. I don't know why, but I find it extremely difficult to learn by watching someone play, even if they do it slowly. I do much better reading notation.
    I have no live teacher right now, so I like to slow the videos way down so I can see what they're doing. It's nice to have music available as well, but I try to peek at it only if I need it.

30. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Found this today, looks cool; under exercises, beginner

https://www.mandolincafe.com/te/sear...rder=A&submit=

Blog Entries

A quick and dirty selection I scraped together from a fiddle lesson.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	double stops.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	193010  
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....