Thread: Dilemma

Default Dilemma

What to do.

I have been looking at octave mandolins. The Clark has bubbled to the top of the list until I ran across the Northfield. I had lunch with a man who deals in high end violins who mentioned that the best violins are currently being made in the small shops in China.
    Most of the instruments he deals in are in multiples of $10K.

So, the dilemma - the Northfield is $1500 less. Now, I find that a small shop Chinese made instrument might also have better sound qualities. I am kind of a Made in America guy but, I really like quality regardless of the source. With Northfield do I get quality and a somewhat lower price?

Default Re: Dilemma

I'll stick with my Clarke OM and Don Noon fiddle thanks very much.

Northfield has established itself as a maker of consistently fine instruments. If you're after a made in North America octave, you should also have Michael Heiden & Fletcher Brock at the very top of your list as premier single-luthier instruments. Played by Sarah Jarosz, Ben Winship, Eli West et al.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dx5Ft1Pbvw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3jUISIphiU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76foUOD8AaY

4. The following members say thank you to doc holiday for this post:

While you're considering options, I hope you take a look at the Big Dog octave --

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

Blog Entries

Though I am a Weber guy, tried and true, it happens that I got myself hooked up with a "Weber" (not Weber) Two Old Hippies Octave Mandolin. It's absolutely fabulous. Better than on older real Weber I also tried out for a little while that was the worst Weber I've ever played. I'm not sure you can generalize from my experience, but I'd certainly look at a TOH instrument.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Bayard Blain has a nice looking archtop ready to go. (scroll down from the tele). NFI.

http://www.bayardguitars.com/for-sale.html
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    Though I am a Weber guy, tried and true, it happens that I got myself hooked up with a "Weber" (not Weber) Two Old Hippies Octave Mandolin. It's absolutely fabulous. Better than on older real Weber I also tried out for a little while that was the worst Weber I've ever played. I'm not sure you can generalize from my experience, but I'd certainly look at a TOH instrument.
    I play a TOH Weber Yellowstone. Great mandolin.

$1500 is a lot of money. That $1500 may or may not buy you a mandolin you like more. Buy the one you like the most, or the first quality used instrument that you find.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I have a friend who has let me play her Clark octave mandolin and it is superb! If I had the money, that would be my choice. How far are you from Boise ID? Might be worth a visit to the Clark shop. If I were going to spend that kind of money, I would have to play them both first to help me decide.

Someone asks which of two particular brands to buy and they’re immediately confronted with half a dozen they’ve shown no interest in!

Personally, I’m happy with my Clark GBOM and I’ve no wish for a Northfield (well, I suppose I might have but space is at a premium and I’ve no room for anything else.)

I've played both and I'd pick the Clark hands down if I were in the market for another OM. My wife plays an A style mandolin made by Austin, so I might be a bit biased.
    ... not all those who wander are lost ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesdad View Post
    What to do.

I have been looking at octave mandolins. The Clark has bubbled to the top of the list until I ran across the Northfield. I had lunch with a man who deals in high end violins who mentioned that the best violins are currently being made in the small shops in China.

So, the dilemma - the Northfield is $1500 less. Now, I find that a small shop Chinese made instrument might also have better sound qualities. I am kind of a Made in America guy but, I really like quality regardless of the source. With Northfield do I get quality and a somewhat lower price?
    I'd be cautious of making a decision based on a conversation about where the best violins are being made. That's a bit of a leap, and I daresay, quite the statement. There are some exceptional violins being made in the small shops in China. There are also exceptional violins being made in Italy, USA, Czech Republic, etc. at all price points. Try to play them both or examples from the makers that interest you. I've played violins at price points into the 6 figures, and I'm happy enough with my Jon Cooper that I really don't even look at other fiddles (much.)

I have a maple Northfield OM and I think it’s fabulous. They look and sound great, the construction is top notch and it’s very comfortable to play. It’s a lot of money and if you get one you’ll be wondering about the other so I’d hold off making a decision and continue to gather info. Heck, you might run across a completely different one that you end up liking.

If you have to have an OM right now then get an Eastman or Trinity College...I know a pro who recorded with a TC and I’m pretty sure no one could tell the diff. For less than $1,000 they sound good and you can probably resell it here without taking too much of a financial hit.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dukesdad View Post
    What to do.

I hope he paid for the lunch. (He must be some kind of salesman...).

Stick with instruments made in Michigan. (Or Idaho, or New York, or where there are fewer salesmen.)

The guys at Northfield work hard at offering a good value. And "high end" instruments from individual luthiers are just that: "high end".
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile