Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Astroturf Noise

Default Astroturf Noise

Only 136 views and 3 likes so far - difficult genre to get listeners I guess. I like these folk

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Astroturf Noise

I would have clapped louder when they finished.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Oh they definitely need a good versatile vocalist (soprano) for a more complete soundscape. A percussionist with a violin bow on the symbols may also fit in nicely. OK all kidding aside, I listened to the whole thing and liked it as a refreshing escape from the same old thing all the time. I understand though that when they practice the neighbors have requested they keep the garage door down. I wonder if I can find the tablature for the mandolin part?

Blog Entries

Most of the time when listening to music I am saddened by my hearing loss.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HonketyHank For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    A percussionist with a violin bow on the symbols [sic] may also fit in nicely.
    With Billy Martin -

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

There's a point early on when they sound like a composer whose name escapes me who I believe composed some frantic film music. I am sure it will come to me later today.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    There's a point early on when they sound like a composer whose name escapes me who I believe composed some frantic film music. I am sure it will come to me later today.
    Raymond Scott?

(If you like avant/cartoon music, another more contemporary artist is Scot Ray - "Cartoon music? Yes, and then some...a sort of 21st century Raymond Scott pack of hungry electric cannibals with all the time and music shifts possible." - Inside Jazz)
    Last edited by catmandu2; Oct-21-2021 at 12:15pm.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Something more traditional perhaps..
    I actually like the claymation—delightfully insane!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Raymond Scott?

(If you like avant/cartoon music, another more contemporary artist is Scot Ray - "Cartoon music? Yes, and then some." - Inside Jazz)
    Yes!! He is exactly who I was thinking of! Thanks!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

It's interesting to listen to, However, I was listening to similar "New Music," but taken much farther, in the 1970's. For most of us, experimental music wears thin after a time. As a wise man said, "Everything changes except the avant-garde". Still, I rather enjoyed their take on Orange Blossom Special, which they call "Orange Blossom Bullet Train," -- to say nothing of the claymation. A great many hours want into creating the video. Thanks.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    It's interesting to listen to, However, I was listening to similar "New Music," but taken much farther, in the 1970's. For most of us, experimental music wears thin after a time. As a wise man said, "Everything changes except the avant-garde". Still, I rather enjoyed their take on Orange Blossom Special, which they call "Orange Blossom Bullet Train," -- to say nothing of the claymation. A great many hours want into creating the video. Thanks.
    Rare to see mandolins in the music, although Peter Maunu has been at it for some time: https://youtu.be/ezRpdcafC80

16. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Ranald 

This guy did pretty well with “noise” music.

Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

Rare to see mandolins in the music, although Peter Maunu has been at it for some time:
    And he plays everything on a Rogue A model. I am sure, though, that he had expert setup done on it. I love the ####### and kissing sax sounds.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

It isn’t for me.
    Not passing judgement on their musicianship or on the music, I just don’t enjoy listening to it.
    I’m not usually fond of discordant experimental stuff, regardless of genre.
    It just isn’t pleasant to listen to.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

20. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

Yuck! Everyone to his/her own taste, of course. But hopefully, those who like this sort of thing remain solidly in the minority, so the rest of us are not subjected to more of it, even accidentally.

23. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Blog Entries

Was curious what kind of mandolin he plays but I believe this answers the question, and I think it's a Weber.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I guess this is for people for whom pleasant, concordant, harmonic music just doesn't work. One advantage of this is they don't have to waste any time tuning up between ... songs - are they still called that? Nor changing strings, either, I reckon. No need to bother with that expense. I'm trying to imagine what practice sessions would be like, or if they even need to spend time on that. I'll bet they don't get too many requests for "Wagon Wheel" or "Foggy Mountain Breakdown," so they won't have to work up versions of those or any other over-requested numbers. Hmmm ... I'm beginning to see some real advantages in this. Though getting gigs might be tricky.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

27. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Well, that is certainly no part of nothing.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

29. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    ..which makes it part of something. I was trying to explain how the word 'Cosmic' was used in 1970 to someone the other day, and this is definitely Cosmic. I like it and would defend their right to play it - but I'd go to see them once in a while, not every week.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Well, not as I understand the term, "cosmic," but if one believes the cosmos's natural state is chaos, then ... OK.

Charley! The phrase is, "That ain't no part of nothing." The triple negative is equivalent to a single negative, which is what is called for here. Sorry to be so negative, but ...
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

32. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Here's Sam's page: http://www.samdayharmet.com/

34. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I get the quip, of course. But if you listen to the music, you may hear some familiar elements. Albeit, it is a challenging form.

36. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Ranald 

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Was curious what kind of mandolin he plays but I believe this answers the question, and I think it's a Weber.

That was the first thing I noticed because it looks exactly like my mandolin. Only difference I see is that mine has gold hardware. I'd put $ on - a Weber Bitterroot custom with gloss and faded leather burst .

Not as grassy, this.

*Check out Shtetlblasters for some downtown ethnic - more groove based. If you like John Zorn et al, klezmer, funky..I really recommend Freiheit - really nice mandolin for all you mndln freaks, from trad klezmer to fugs.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Oct-22-2021 at 10:27pm.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post: