Thread: My Recent Stradolin Buy

Default My Recent Stradolin Buy

This popped up on Facebook nearby priced at $100, so I had to rescue it. From the little I've learned about Stradolins, it's a very basic model, probably with pressed laminate front and back. Overall it appears to be in good shape. The top shows no sinking, no separations anywhere, and the finish is still pretty good. The only obvious issue is the very lightweight tailpiece which is missing the bottom screw and has bent upward. I think I may replace it with one of the scalloped Stewmac ones that would preserve the look and be way stronger, unless someone has a better suggestion. I just don't think the original is worth messing with.

I hope to soon remove the strings, do a thorough cleaning, install the new tailpiece, restring, and find out what I've bought.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020673 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	194670   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020675 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	194671   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020676 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	194672  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020678 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	194673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020682 (Medium).JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	194674  

2. The following members say thank you to Parker135 for this post:

Default Re: My Recent Stradolin Buy

That's great! Well done! I posted up this spread from the 1959 Sorkin catalogue a few weeks back. I think your mandolin is on the top left although the photo is not great. Looking at the Waverly tuners on your mandolin I would estimate it to be late 50s.

Name:	1959 Sorkin Catalogue.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	194678

Great score! You did great for $100!

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    That's great! Well done! I posted up this spread from the 1959 Sorkin catalogue a few weeks back. I think your mandolin is on the top left although the photo is not great. Looking at the Waverly tuners on your mandolin I would estimate it to be late 50s.

Name:	1959 Sorkin Catalogue.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	346.0 KB 
ID:	194678
    That certainly looks like it. Thanks for posting. I need to go back and read some of the past threads on Stradolins.

Thanks, all, for your comments. After taking it apart for cleaning and having a better look at the tailpiece, I think I'm going to reinstall it. It's more robust than I thought. I need to put a hardwood plug into the old screw hole and redrill it, which should solve the problem. So all in all, I think a new set of strings and a little setup will have it playing again.

8. The following members say thank you to Parker135 for this post:

That's a good plan with plugging and redrilling the screw hole. The other option is to just put in a larger screw. Have done that on mine when adding a strap button there.

A nice grab for $100. Enjoy.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Here are two other catalog pages showing that model, one from Meisel ca. 1953 and the other from B&J, 1952.

Name:	SOL-Meisel1953.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	180.8 KB 
ID:	194691 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BJ1952-1.pdf 
Views:	84 
Size:	456.0 KB 
ID:	194692
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

That's really helpful. I think I have an 850 based on the description and tailpiece design that seems to be unique to that one. I plugged the stripped hole and redrilled for a longer tailpiece screw. The originals are really short. I was happy to discover a relatively thick tailpiece block while drilling so I think it's a good lont-term repair.

I have it strung up now, and it's proving to be a nice mandolin. I want to lower the bridge some, which is already as low as it will go. The nut is nicely setup already.

This is my first experience with tuners without bushings. They get pretty stiff when tuned up due to friction. Maybe I'll try a little beeswax on the shafts next time I restring it.

Thanks for posting.