Thread: Vintage Rectangular F4 Case Dimensions?

Default Vintage Rectangular F4 Case Dimensions?

Some friends got me a woodworking class for my birthday, and I'd like to have a go at making a case. Old world styling, with a bunch more padding!

Does anyone have their F2 or F4 in one of these, and would be willing to give me exact dimensions?

I know there are some F4s and F2s in longer retangular cases, designed for F5s. But I'm interested in the one made to perfectly fit an F oval hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	032 1917-18 F4 case.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	196332

Default Re: Vintage Rectangular F4 Case Dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz Jass View Post
    Some friends got me a woodworking class for my birthday, and I'd like to have a go at making a case. Old world styling, with a bunch more padding!

Does anyone have their F2 or F4 in one of these, and would be willing to give me exact dimensions?

I know there are some F4s and F2s in longer retangular cases, designed for F5s. But I'm interested in the one made to perfectly fit an F oval hole.

Name:	032 1917-18 F4 case.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	196332
    All the Gibson F-5 mandolins came in rectangular Geib & Schaefer cases. Gibson catalogs always showed Geib & Schaefer cases. What you have pictured is an M&W (Maulbetsch & Whittemore) case from the Teens. It would have been sourced separately from a Gibson mandolin (perhaps by the selling agent.) These are extremely rare cases. As you note, the length is barely long enough for an F-2 or F-4, and too short for an F-5. It also has several other differences from the later Geib cases. The Geib rectangular mandolin cases are 29 inches long. The M&W F-4 cases are slightly shorter, but not by much. Maybe a half inch or so?
    May I suggest you visit the Vintage Musical Instrument Case Group. We get deep into these details. One of our members recently posted two rectangular mandolins he just made. I have made numerous cases, and will soon be posting a series of photos on installing the interior blocking and plush fabric for a vintage style rectangular mandolin case. https://www.facebook.com/groups/vint...nstrumentcases
    Steve

3. The following members say thank you to Loudloar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Loudloar View Post
    All the Gibson F-5 mandolins came in rectangular Geib & Schaefer cases. Gibson catalogs always showed Geib & Schaefer cases. What you have pictured is an M&W (Maulbetsch & Whittemore) case from the Teens. It would have been sourced separately from a Gibson mandolin (perhaps by the selling agent.) These are extremely rare cases. As you note, the length is barely long enough for an F-2 or F-4, and too short for an F-5. It also has several other differences from the later Geib cases. The Geib rectangular mandolin cases are 29 inches long. The M&W F-4 cases are slightly shorter, but not by much. Maybe a half inch or so?
    May I suggest you visit the Vintage Musical Instrument Case Group. We get deep into these details. One of our members recently posted two rectangular mandolins he just made. I have made numerous cases, and will soon be posting a series of photos on installing the interior blocking and plush fabric for a vintage style rectangular mandolin case. https://www.facebook.com/groups/vint...nstrumentcases
    Steve
    Thanks! Have joined the group

Bazz,

I have an F2 listed in the archives, it came to me in a rectangular Faultless case with purple felt lining.
    I’d be happy to help you with case dimensions. It is indeed smaller than the F5 rectangular case.

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/32803

Mark
    Mark Lynch

6. The following members say thank you to MarkELynch for this post:

I rechecked the case this morning and it is lined with purple velvet, not felt.
    It matches the listing in the 1923 Gibson handbook as Faultless case 438 for F2, F4. The handbook notes that stock was short and it was being discontinued by that time.

Name:	A97B8DB6-1D1C-4A0D-B2A1-3552394B0A67.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	196375

Good luck with your project.

Mark
    Mark Lynch

8. The following members say thank you to MarkELynch for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarkELynch View Post
    Bazz,

I have an F2 listed in the archives, it came to me in a rectangular Faultless case with purple felt lining.
    I’d be happy to help you with case dimensions. It is indeed smaller than the F5 rectangular case.

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/32803

Mark
    Hi Mark. Thanks so much, I'd really appreciate that