Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peace by Sarah Jarosz

Default Peace by Sarah Jarosz

This is deceptively simple little instrumental that I like very much. It's also the first time I worked out a complete song on my own from listening/watching. It's not perfect, there are a couple of transitions I couldn't quite get and settled for, well that's not obviously wrong. :-)
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BadExampleMan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Peace by Sarah Jarosz

Can't wait to get home tonight and try this out. Thanks for sharing!

4. The following members say thank you to WaxwellHaus for this post:

New! and Improved! Whiter! Brighter! Longer-lasting!

...no, seriously, I cleaned up some of those transitions I missed on the first pass. Also here's the version I took it from:

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BadExampleMan; Jan-18-2020 at 9:36am. Reason: typo in tab, how embarrasking

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BadExampleMan For This Useful Post:

...Beth

THANK YOU for this.
    NPR's Morning Edition played this today between some news pieces and I racked my brain to remember what it was. It's exquisite. Found NPR site that listed song snippets they played. AHA! Sarah Jarosz! Of course. Brought it up from my CD...

THANKS for saving me a lot of work trying to recreate it myself.

8. The following members say thank you to Beth Tibbitts for this post:

I was listening to this song today and decided to do a full transcription in both standard notation (which I find easier to read) and tab. The recorded versions differ (minorly) in different spots, but this transcription is true to the Mandolin Mondays version here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7z9I_jHmug

Here's the PDF:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sarah Jarosz - Peace.pdf  

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mswilks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

This is brilliant, thank you.

What software do you use to generate the notation?

I just started using MuseScore 3. It's free and very user-friendly. I've not yet figured out how to score certain notes being held while other notes are being played (for example, the droning low G), but if you're familiar with the tune you can pick those things up from context.

Thank you so much for transcribing this piece of music!!
    I have been wanting such for some time, and didn’t know where to turn.
    I look forward to spending some time with it soon.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Glad to help, Eric. My notation may not always be standard (sort of a hybrid of piano notation and what "looks right" to me), but again if you're familiar with the piece the ornamentation and such should come naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by mswilks View Post
    I just started using MuseScore 3. It's free and very user-friendly. I've not yet figured out how to score certain notes being held while other notes are being played (for example, the droning low G), but if you're familiar with the tune you can pick those things up from context.
    I too am a Musescore user, and you want to have a look at the "Voices" function which is on the Note Input toolbar along to the right. There are 4 numbers there. When you first enter notes you are in Voice 1. By clicking on 2, 3 or 4 this gives you a new voice which lets you input notes of different time values into the bars where you have your cursor placed.

Hope this might save you some time.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Thanks John.

If I can offer one tiny correction, I think you used the tremolo symbol (two slashes through the staff of the tab note) when it should be vibrato, which I think is just a wavy line over the note.

Again, thanks for taking the time to work this out.

I think that's just the software's way of denoting a half note in the tab. I primarily read standard notation, so I didn't pay any attention to that (but I didn't intentionally add tremolo or vibrato in any areas).

I was working on the song today, working from your transcription and my housemate absolutely fell in love with the song. She’s now trying to figure out the cello line in the album version so she can transpose it to guitar!

Glad to hear it!

I've almost got it smooth enough to record at this point, but it'll be a couple of weeks because I'm leaving town for a bit fairly soon.

Quick follow-up ... I noticed today while watching Sarah's performance that in measures 19 and 51 she doesn't keep the 2nd fret barre and use the 2nd string, 7th fret to get the E. She actually lifts up on the bottom part of the barre and plays the open E string while keeping the G string fretted (2nd fret) to make the root A. That approach lets things ring quite a bit better.

I've attached a revised version of the score for the meticulous among us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sarah Jarosz - Peace v2.pdf  

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mswilks For This Useful Post:

(I've already been playing it that way - the 2nd to 7th fret is an awkward reach for me.)

Quote Originally Posted by mswilks View Post
    Quick follow-up ... I noticed today while watching Sarah's performance that in measures 19 and 51 she doesn't keep the 2nd fret barre and use the 2nd string, 7th fret to get the E. She actually lifts up on the bottom part of the barre and plays the open E string while keeping the G string fretted (2nd fret) to make the root A. That approach lets things ring quite a bit better.

I've attached a revised version of the score for the meticulous among us.
    Thanks so much for transcribing and posting this song. You did a great job. I've started learning it on my octave mandolin and it sounds really good on that instrument.

Thanks for the notation. As JayD says, it sounds great on octave as well.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

I just finished learning this song all the way through yesterday on my octave mandolin and it's a really fun song to play.

I thought I would point out a cool technique she uses for the last four notes of the ascending line in bars 7, 15, 39, 47,and 71. Instead of playing the four notes straight, she does a partial upward slide to get from the note on fret 3 to the note on fret 7 (C to E) and another partial slide from fret 5 to 10 (D to G). She frets the C with her middle finger, picks that note, and then slides that finger up toward E but lands on E using her ring finger instead of her middle finger, and picks that note. That leaves her middle finger free to fret the D so she then frets the D with her middle finger, picks the note, and does a partial upward slide toward the G with that finger but lands on the G using her ring finger and then picks that note. It's a subtle thing but it's a slick way to smoothly get those upward slides in and it sets her up to do the subsequent descending line with her middle and index fingers.

If my description doesn't make sense, watch the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7z9I_jHmug with the playback speed at 0.25 and watch closely starting at 0:18. Watch what she does with her middle finger to do the two upwards slides.
    Last edited by JayD; Sep-12-2021 at 8:39pm.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayD For This Useful Post:

I first heard this song on Mandolin Mondays earlier in 2021. Here is my cover. It was my first foray into learning a song by slowing it down and transcribing versus finding sheet music. The result is simpler than the complete transcriptions in this thread. I also added a couple of passing tone measures to change keys. That let me hand over from unison duet with mandolin / octave mandolin to unison duet with mandolas and then back for the end. Fylde mandolin family (single malt, octavius tenor mandola, touchstone octave mandola) plus Eastman MDA315.

Fylde Single Malt Mandolin
    Fylde Touchstone Octave Mandolin
    Eastman MDA315 Mandola

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins View Post
    I first heard this song on Mandolin Mondays earlier in 2021.
    Very nice!

What software do you use to ensemble-assemble? Is there a free or inexpensive solution?

"Peace" has been around quite a while. I played Sarah's original recording at my mother's funeral back in 2014.

Thanks for the transcription - must learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by BadExampleMan View Post

What software do you use to ensemble-assemble? Is there a free or inexpensive solution?
    My setup is pretty low-tech. I record audio in GarageBand on my iPad with a Samson goMic ($35 at Staples), then do some very basic mixing in GarageBand on my computer. I'm really early on the mixing learning curve. I don't think it does much to the real sound, but it lets me have fun tinkering. I do the videos in Movavi Video Editor. I think I paid $70 for the 2020 lifetime license. The 2022 lifetime license is $65. When I've looked into free solutions in the past they all took a level if IT savvy that I don't have. A friend recommended Movavi, it was a big upgrade from iMovie, and I've been happy.
    Fylde Single Malt Mandolin
    Fylde Touchstone Octave Mandolin
    Eastman MDA315 Mandola

32. The following members say thank you to Shawn Collins for this post:

I'll check out Movavi. My wallet can probably bear $65. What's the process like of syncing the vids together? Do you have to align them manually?