Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flat Tops, Waterloo and others

Default Re: Flat Tops, Waterloo and others

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. Bryant View Post
    ...Paul Shippey...informed me that the wait time on one of the "Axe" mandolins was 34 months. I am 76 almost 77 and 34 months is a little beyond my focus..."Life is good!"
    Yeah, at my age (pushin' 78), I get nervous about buying green bananas. The instrument's gotta be available right there in the store, for me to show even a little interest. There are many many good new and used flat-tops showing up for sale; waiting three years for my heirs to get a superb builder's instrument -- well, seems risky. Not that I don't want the kids to have good mandolins (not that either plays one), but still...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

2. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

well, I love my Flatiron, that's for sure.

That said, I'm very interested in the bottom of the options - the Kentucky pancake. Anybody played one of these? At $250, I've been tempted!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    well, I love my Flatiron, that's for sure.

That said, I'm very interested in the bottom of the options - the Kentucky pancake. Anybody played one of these? At $250, I've been tempted!

f-d
    I ordered one from Elderly back in February/March.(They had a batch of 10) They decided not to ship them because they felt the neck angle was bad and they couldn't do a proper setup. I applaud them for not shipping them out, but it increased my curiosity. I ended up buying one from another retailer and I think Elderly was right. The one I got was pretty much unplayable with crazy high action. I brought the nut slots down a bit and had to bring the bridge way down to the point where there isn't much of a break angle. It's playable, but there isn't a lot of volume. Definitely does not compare with a Flat Iron. It's an ok beater though.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 2E View Post
    I ordered one from Elderly back in February/March.(They had a batch of 10) They decided not to ship them because they felt the neck angle was bad and they couldn't do a proper setup. I applaud them for not shipping them out, but it increased my curiosity. I ended up buying one from another retailer and I think Elderly was right. The one I got was pretty much unplayable with crazy high action. I brought the nut slots down a bit and had to bring the bridge way down to the point where there isn't much of a break angle. It's playable, but there isn't a lot of volume. Definitely does not compare with a Flat Iron. It's an ok beater though.
    Thanks for the report. Shame too! It'd be fun to know that there is a good, simple mandolin for folks to enjoy. Something all wood and sub-$300 bucks!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Congrats!
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)