Thread: MAS Strikes Again!

Default MAS Strikes Again!

Well, that devilish little imp fulfilled its mission after first striking me about two weeks ago. One day that week, I had come across a mandolin at Dusty Strings (Seattle) that was shown on their website. At the time, I was not in the market for yet another one. But, this one struck me because I own one of its siblings. The listing was for a 2004 Gibson A9; last year I had purchased a 2004 Gibson F9 that I really love. I had no other apparent reason for buying a 5th mandolin; but, the idea of siblings wouldn't leave. (I am the father of 3 children and grandfather of two more, so I am pretty familiar with siblings.)

So, to make a long story just a tad longer, I drove up to Dusty Strings this morning and now own that lovely Gibson A9. It has a crisp, sweet sound and is immaculate. Like my F9, it came along with its original TKL hardshell case. I'd post a pic of the two sibs, but I haven't yet learned how to do that on the Cafe. When I learn, I will post one.

I do want to thank the great folks up at Dusty Strings. Some really friendly and very knowledgeable folks there and they were quite patient with me as I accepted the results of my current bout of MAS. Gotta run--time to grab ahold of that puppy and do some pickin'.
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30
    Dillion Electric (Rickenbacker style)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Old Dog Dave For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: MAS Strikes Again!

Sounds like that sibling is going to fit right into your collection. How does the sound and playability compare between the F9 and the A9? Congrats on your new mando!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Someone else seems to really enjoy their lovely A9 mandolin too.
    Congrats and enjoy!
    Dem

Oh, I'm not too far from Seattle, I might have to check out that store!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog Dave View Post
    Well, that devilish little imp fulfilled its mission after first striking me about two weeks ago. One day that week, I had come across a mandolin at Dusty Strings (Seattle) that was shown on their website. At the time, I was not in the market for yet another one. But, this one struck me because I own one of its siblings. The listing was for a 2004 Gibson A9; last year I had purchased a 2004 Gibson F9 that I really love. I had no other apparent reason for buying a 5th mandolin; but, the idea of siblings wouldn't leave. (I am the father of 3 children and grandfather of two more, so I am pretty familiar with siblings.)

So, to make a long story just a tad longer, I drove up to Dusty Strings this morning and now own that lovely Gibson A9. It has a crisp, sweet sound and is immaculate. Like my F9, it came along with its original TKL hardshell case. I'd post a pic of the two sibs, but I haven't yet learned how to do that on the Cafe. When I learn, I will post one.

I do want to thank the great folks up at Dusty Strings. Some really friendly and very knowledgeable folks there and they were quite patient with me as I accepted the results of my current bout of MAS. Gotta run--time to grab ahold of that puppy and do some pickin'.
    I thought that mandolin sounded great, but it could really benefit from a truss rod adjustment and a better setup. The neck had way too much relief in it when I played it.

Those A-9's have a distinctive sound, at least the ones I've heard and played.

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    Oh, I'm not too far from Seattle, I might have to check out that store!
    Dusty Strings is really a great shop in Fremont (on Fremont Ave.). Great people there and lots of choice instruments. I highly recommend them!
    Old Dog Dave: Do the best you can, as long as you can, and all the rest is gravy.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    Sounds like that sibling is going to fit right into your collection. How does the sound and playability compare between the F9 and the A9? Congrats on your new mando!
    This particular A9 is a bit quieter than the F9, but does have a crisp sound and is really playable. The F9 is a really sweet instrument, though. Whoever owned it before me had very low frets put on and used the Thomastik/Praezision strings; they left three additional sets of those strings to go along with it, so I'm pretty flush with excellent strings for the F9. My only "complaint" with both of them--and believe me, this is really minor and shouldn't both me--is that the fret markers (at 5, 7, 10 and 12) are only along the side of the fretboard, not on it. I think that is pretty standard for the Gibson "9s", as they don't have the frills of the F5. My only reason for wishing there were the inlays on the fretboard itself is that I am a senior citizen (75) and my eyesight is not the best. Ergo, if I am looking down at the fretboard while I am playing I don't see the side markers as well as if there were inlays. BUT--really not to complain; I love both of these instruments.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    Someone else seems to really enjoy their lovely A9 mandolin too.
    Congrats and enjoy!
    Dem
    Wow!! She makes that A9 sing. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing, Dem. Nice video.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30

Dusty Strings is a great shop to get lost in.
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

You know you can get stick-on fret markers, right? Or get inlays put in, if you wanna spend the $$.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Thanks, Jaycat!! I will probably check in to having some inlays put in. In fact, Dusty Strings might be a good place to have that done.

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30

These A9 and F9 mandolins have a simple and elegant beauty. Consider playing it unaltered for a good while, as there are plenty of side position markers. I've found the side dots to be sufficient and the big dots on the face are redundant and unnecessary; and it's good posture not to have to lean over so far as to see them. Of course, the likes of Tony Rice's famous D28 and all the classical instruments are appealing, too.

The house instruments all have the side dots only...D18, O18T, L&H model C, Stanley A5, Gibson A9 and Martin A...so I just might really like this style.

Thanks, Dan! I was spending some quality pickin' time with both of them this morning and I am slowly warming up to the side position markers. You make a very good point and I do think I will work with these as they are and at least give myself time to get fully accustomed to the side markers. If, at some point in the future, I have the cash and the inclination, I might consider inlays. But for now, I think I'll stay with them as they are. Thanks again for your reply!!!

1918 Gibson A Oval hole
    2004 Gibson F9
    2004 Gibson A9
    Weber Gallatin A
    Bruhn double-point
    The Epiphone MM-30

16. The following members say thank you to Old Dog Dave for this post:

Blog Entries

Dusty Strings. Wow. Love that place. Hard to not spend money in there.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....