Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much of a difference in sound does string gauge make?

Default How much of a difference in sound does string gauge make?

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it for me to switch string gauges. I have light gauge strings on my Kentucky A-style, which seem like they are a little easier to play than the medium gauge strings I have on my Morris F-style. The Morris has a much deeper, fuller sound that I really like. I know most of the difference is in the mandolin itself, but I wanted to know if I could close that gap by putting heavier gauge strings on my Kentucky and whether it would be worth the playability difference. If there's not much difference, I'd probably put lights on my Morris too.
    I guess I'll just stay right here, pick and sing a while...
    2022 Morris F5 #482, 1995 Flatiron 2MB, 2013 Don Kawalek flat top, 2004 Eastman 805

Default Re: How much of a difference in sound does string gauge make?

I would say string gauge contributes a lot to tone, I recently picked up a Collings F5, it came with light strings, while they were super slick to fret, I felt the tone was not what I wanted, I put a set of mediums on and- big difference, especially in the bottom end woof and high end sustain.
    Also Monel or coated strings will make a difference in tone, less ringy, and somewhat less overtone ( But I love overtone so...)
    between you and me I would put mediums on the Kentucky and keep the same mediums on the Morris.
    As always I have to give a shout out to Curt Mangan strings, I am pretty much exclusively Curt Mangan strings these days.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

I just went from mediums to lights (10-38) on my Kentucky KM-250 and I much prefer them. I don’t know that I’ve noticed a difference in tone at all, but I’ve definitely noticed a difference in playability. I doubt I’ll go back to 11-40s.

It's a relatively simple procedure to change the strings and observe the result. We can't tell you how your mandolin (and you) will respond to different string gauges but you can see for yourself. There will be differences in feel, response and other things that are not exactly "sound", and you might like them better or not as well.
    It boils down to you and your mandolin and your preferences.

6. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

All I would advise is to experiment. Strings aren’t as expensive as mandolins, so if you are planning to stick with playing for the rest of your life, then splurge on extra pack of different strings from time to time and find out for yourself what you, and your own mandolin, prefer. It’s a worthy experiment.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

8. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    It's a relatively simple procedure to change the strings and observe the result. We can't tell you how your mandolin (and you) will respond to different string gauges but you can see for yourself. There will be differences in feel, response and other things that are not exactly "sound", and you might like them better or not as well.
    It boils down to you and your mandolin and your preferences.
    This is what I was thinking I'd do; just wanted to check if it was likely to make a difference before I went ahead and ordered a bunch of strings.

Follow-up question: what sort of strings would darken the sound of a very bright mandolin while keeping a relatively powerful attack?
    2022 Morris F5 #482, 1995 Flatiron 2MB, 2013 Don Kawalek flat top, 2004 Eastman 805

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    All I would advise is to experiment. Strings aren’t as expensive as mandolins, so if you are planning to stick with playing for the rest of your life, then splurge on extra pack of different strings from time to time and find out for yourself what you, and your own mandolin, prefer. It’s a worthy experiment.
    The price is one thing that really attracts me to trying out strings instead of trying to trade in my Kentucky - I figure I don't need anything too fancy as my back-up but I do want it to sound nice to my ears.

On the better mandolins I’ve had I’ve switched back and forth between J-74 and J-75 gauge strings based on what my local shop had in stock, and there was a minor difference in feel and tone, but nothing major. On my first mando, a very overbuilt Kentucky 675-S from just after their move to China…quality is much better now. Anyway, on that mandolin the heavier strings made a huge difference in volume and tone. That thick top and finish needed the heavier strings to drive it.

So, yeah, give it a shot. It’s easy and relatively inexpensive to change back if it doesn’t work out.
    Chuck

12. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    It's a relatively simple procedure to change the strings and observe the result.
    You might want to try recording yourself before and after the string change so you can do an A/B playback comparison.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaycat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    You might want to try recording yourself before and after the string change so you can do an A/B playback comparison.
    Good idea! I'll definitely do this.

Blog Entries

It doesn't only change the tone on the instrument, but string gauge also affects the feel of the instrument, how hard it is to push the strings down behind the fret, how much vigor it takes to pluck or strum.

I agree that experimenting will be valuable. I think, all things considered, I think you will quickly know if it is a volume or tone or playability that you like or not.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by milli857 View Post
    Follow-up question: what sort of strings would darken the sound of a very bright mandolin while keeping a relatively powerful attack?
    For the first part of your question I would say try flatwounds but even the stark T-Is may not maintain the attack though I am not sure what you mean by that. What I find playing the finer instruments is that there is more headroom and responsiveness. There may be that limitation with your Kentucky. You can play those very soft and hear dulcet tones but also play them super hard and still maintain the appealing tonality. Also you get some sweetness vs. percussiveness in the upperend notes as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I've only used lights on mandolin.

On steel-string guitar, which I've played for a long time, lighter strings have more twang, and heavier strings have more volume.

Someone here with more mando experience can tell you whether the same is true for mandolin strings.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

I’ve definitely found medium gauge strings to have more volume and a fuller tone than light gauge strings.
    Eastman MD515 mandolin
    Gretsch G9310 mandolin
    Eastman MDO305E-SB octave mandolin
    Eastman E20om guitar
    Vega Little Wonder tenor banjo
    Epiphone El Capitan acoustic bass

Default Re: Impact of String Gauge on Tremolo

Newbie here attempting to learn how to tremolo and struggling. I am playing a 1971 Martin A Model mandolin with light strings. Does the string gauge impact a persons ability to tremolo or is player skill more important?
    Thanks

Some of the newer mando's today are not made for heavy gauge strings ....most are made for mediums and therfore not a problem for light gauge ..but be careful before using heavy gauge it could lead to problems if your mando is not rated for heavy gauge strings.

22. The following members say thank you to jherm for this post:

The plain steel strings will be the same in pretty much every set of strings, so if the E strings are bright you may want to try a heavier pick. If you can get used to it, I used to prefer it. a rounded pick will give you a much warmer sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by jherm View Post
    Some of the newer mando's today are not made for heavy gauge strings ....most are made for mediums and therfore not a problem for light gauge ..but be careful before using heavy gauge it could lead to problems if your mando is not rated for heavy gauge strings.
    I remember when Martin stopped took away its lifetime guarantees for original owners who used heavy strings — a big blow to bluegrass but a lifesaver for those guitars.

Default Re: Impact of String Gauge on Tremolo

Quote Originally Posted by Buddelje View Post
    Newbie here attempting to learn how to tremolo and struggling. I am playing a 1971 Martin A Model mandolin with light strings. Does the string gauge impact a persons ability to tremolo or is player skill more important?
    Thanks
    Not a pro or luthier, but I think you'll find that string gauge mainly affects the sound and left-hand speed and comfort. For tremolo, you'll find more payoff if you experiment with different picks. Pick weight, shape, and material make a big difference — much moreso than with guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by jherm View Post
    I don’t know if any mandolin strings sold today that at are labelled heavy. Standard medium gauge like D’Addario J-74 are fine for his Kentucky and I believe the only heavier gauge would be j-75 and I think they are fine too. Not sure what you are referring to.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I would yes, a big difference in tone, and in general thin strings sound "thin" and thick ones sound rich/full and well "thick". So yes experiment and see what sounds best, you might find that flatwounds are the way to go if the instrument sound too bright, but note that that only effects the wound strings. Personally, I don't like anything less that 11's on the e strings (unless it's a vintage instrument of course), anything else sounds way too bright and thin to me.

Blog Entries

Much of this is personal preference. The trade off between ease of play and volume for example. One mandolinner I know uses light strings on mandolins fully capable of handling medium or even heavy. He has explained that the lighter strings give him the ability to play fast, (which he can and does), and that he can always get a mic if he needs it.

I am told that my Stiver mandolin was made with heavy strings in mind, i.e. designed around heavy strings. So I use heavy, and I like the results I get. I use mediums on the rest, and like the results there too. On bowlbacks I use ultra-lite strings, because they are older than somewhat.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I recently switched from EJ74's to EJ73's on my Big Mon. I was expecting a change in tone, but surprisingly I didn't notice much of a difference. Projection/volume is still good also. The difference in string tension can be modestly felt with my fretting hand. Changing to a lighter string set did require a slight tweak in setup (truss rod).

My other F style mandolin is still strung with EJ74's. I switch playing back and forth between instruments, and I just don't notice that big of a difference overall. As long as I can make decent sounding chords and melodies then I think I will not worry about this issue personally.

It will be up to your impressions if you try a different string gauge yourself. The rest of us are just gonna throw some differing opinions at you.

I don't see much (any, really) talk of La Bella strings here, but they are what I like. Their "mediums" are slightly lighter than everyone else's, and their silver-plated mediums are lighter still: https://www.labella.com/product/770m-mandolin/ You might give them a try.

Am now running lights on all my mandolins except for the Coombe which has D'Addario flatwounds. Don't notice a difference in sound. Although have to be a little pickier on setup to not get buzzing.

Have GHS on the Flatiron, Elixir on the Brentrup and monel on the Strad-O-Lin.

Personally find that pick style and thickness makes more of a difference in sound. At least with my hands and my ears and the way I play.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723