Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Southern Italian Mandolin

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Southern Italian Mandolin

I sprung for the John Barbera collection of songs of the south. (Courtesy Sig. Baia and as noted on the MC homepage.) I've only worked through a few songs, but am happy that this music and tradition is being documented-a fun summer ahead. I've had access to a lot of recordings from the south and enjoy playing this music a lot. Getting back into frame drums is a likely corollary.

I am interested in others' responses, reactions, references to the collection......

"When they play that tarantella all the hounds will start to roar."

Mick

Default Re: Southern Italian Mandolin

I don't know this particular collection, but I know John himself-- quite well, actually, considering I hired his group, I Giullari di Piazza, numerous times in my "previous life" as concert manager; he and artistic co-director Alessandra Belloni ALWAYS whipped up a musical storm!

In my book, John is a true one-of-a-kind, both as an artist and as artistic persona. Good guy, too...

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I haven't sprung for this book...yet. I was going to do it over the weekend but time just slipped away. I did notice that everywhere I looked (Mel Bay, Amazon, Elderly, etc.) I did not see a listing (partial or otherwise) of the songs included. It is my understanding that for many of these tunes this book is the first printed representation (at least for a long time). Could you post some of the more recognizable titles?
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

I bought it yesterday. I'm looking forward to many happy hours of tarantellas.

Are you buying directly from Mel Bay, through Elderly, somewhere else? I just checked Amazon, and they don't show it being available until July

Product Details
    Traditional Southern Italian Mandolin and Fiddle (Paperback - Jul 2009)
    Buy new: $17.99

Available for Pre-order
    Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
    Books: See all items
    MLT
    Labraid Cytole

I bought it at a local music store here in Ottawa

Quote Originally Posted by MLT View Post
    II did notice that everywhere I looked (Mel Bay, Amazon, Elderly, etc.) I did not see a listing (partial or otherwise) of the songs included.
    These are not the std Neapolitan or Ballo Liscio tunes that we all know but (I assume) more of the real folk music. Mick and others: are these mostly instrumentals/dance music?

From melbay.com:

Abballati, Abballati
    Alla Carpinese
    Alziti Bbella
    Angelare
    Antidotum Tarantulae (part 1)
    Antidotum Tarantulae (part 2)
    Bo e la ri-bo
    Cu Ti Lu Dissi
    Danza Siciliana
    Fasola Siciliana
    Figghia di'n Massaru
    Fischiettando
    Fronni d'Alia
    II Ritornello delle Lavandaie del Vomero
    La Ndrezzata
    La Palumella
    La Procidana
    La Sant Allegrezza
    La Zita Passa
    Marenaresca
    Matajola
    Motivo di Cantastorie
    Pizzica-Pizzica
    Pizzicarella
    Pizzicarella Mia
    Ricciulina
    Serenata Amalfitana
    Sonos E Memoria
    Tammurriata
    Tarantella dell 600
    Tarantella di Ogliastro
    Tarantella Nfuocata
    Tarantella Paesana
    Villanella Ch all Aqua Vai
    Volumbrella
    Vurria Addeventare
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, many of these are dance numbers, the tarantellas, of course and the pizzicas. Most have some lyrics-which tend to be stories almost, but who knows when words and melody actually came together. There are a few serenades and some other romantic tunes. Folk tunes, perhaps, but in general not as 'sophisticated' say as the ballo liscio pieces that Sheri Mignano assembled. Great stuff nonetheless. The fact that these are not 'typical' to the canon is what makes the collection appealing. John includes a brief bit on the progeny of each piece, though I would wish for much more background overall. But as Victor suggests, we southerners have to stick together.

There are so many great groups from down that way. (I have Martin to thank for directing me blog-ward.) I love the percussion as well, no doubt of North African influence.

MLT, I did get my copy directly through Mel.

Mick

Jim

Thanks for the tune list. I don't know how I missed that on the Mel Bay site, but I managed .

brunello97, thanks for the info, I will go ahead and order from Mel too since it is already available.

Victor, as you have mentioned that you know John, what do you hear about a Northern Italy companion version to this release? I will start here...as part of my family emigrated from Brindisi in the south and Bergamo in the north.

Thanks again.
    MLT
    Labraid Cytole

I'm sorry to say I haven't kept up with John... There's GOT to be a way for you to reach him, though. The "specialty" of I Giullari was in fact southern Italian folk music. I must admit I don't know what other projects John has at this time. I can at least look around, see what I can find...

Cheers,

Victor

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post

"When they play that tarantella all the hounds will start to roar."
    And the boys all go to hell then Cubans hit the floor

Nice one Mick.

But I'm glad you guys are talking about this. I'm of Italian heritage (Southern Italy and Sicily) and I only delved a little bit into Italian Mandolin. This book looks great. I'll be ordering soon.

Haven't tried that book, but I thought I'd mention a couple of other sources for Italian folk dances/tunes:

Victor is too modest to mention that he has just published Echoes From Magna Graecia, which is a suite of Greek-influenced Southern Italian folk tunes arranged for mandolin and guitar. Available from Victor directly. I have a copy, but haven't got around to playing it much -- looks great from a brief glance-through, though, just like his Greek folk mando arrangements.

Not specifically arranged for mando, but mostly playable and enjoyable on it, here are 72 Italian folk dances (""Monferrina, Sbrando, Courenta, Valzer, Polca, Mazurca, Saltarello, Saltarella, Tarantella etc", both from the North and the South) in ABC format. I've previously mentioned it in this thread of a few years ago, where there are also some instructions on how to convert the ABC to standard notation.

Martin

Martin, thanks for the recommendation. Victor? What gives? (Maybe we can arrange for a dropoff when I am in NYC in July.) I've heard some great music from a group under the Magna Graecia aegis, Ghetonia:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/ghetonia

I second the recommendation on Martin's link to the folk dances. Fun stuff to play. It would be a worthwhile exercise to just get them all over to standard notation. The Sbrandos always put me in the mind of the Godfather movies, for some reason.

Mick

Well, Mick... if you would like a copy of (my edition) Echoes from Magna Graecia, please just shoot me an e-mail (at vkioulaphides@earthlink.net) with your postal address, and I will put a copy in the mail for you first thing tomorrow morning; no advance payment is required, as this is hardly a "business" venture. If you choose to keep the score, we'll take care of the rest.

The repertoire featured in this volume of my (tiny, and non-commercial) GrecoMando Editions comes in fact from the Greek-dialect-speaking regions of Southern Italy. While... *ahem*... I don't want to make this thread sound like a classifieds ad, I'd gladly share the introduction printed on the front-page of this particular volume with anyone who asks for it, also via e-mail. That brief, descriptive text gives a general idea of the contents.

Cheers,

Victor

15. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Why would someone (who has just about everything published) buy yet another Italian mando book? But I agree that this is a fine collection of authentic dances from the heart of the South. I wasn't disappointed and felt that the background to the songs enhanced the experience. Bravo! Sheri

17. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MLT View Post
    Are you buying directly from Mel Bay, through Elderly, somewhere else? I just checked Amazon, and they don't show it being available until July

Product Details
    Traditional Southern Italian Mandolin and Fiddle (Paperback - Jul 2009)
    Buy new: $17.99
    Just for a change we're better of in the UK: I've just ordered my copy from Amazon UK, where it was in stock and for a change without much of a markup (GBP11.66 with free shipping).

Update: Curiously, when I ordered it, the listing said "Hurry up: only 1 left in stock". Going back to it now, it says "This title has not yet been released". Let's see if I get that one copy that was said to be in stock, or whether this was a phantom listing.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by vkioulaphides View Post
    I'm sorry to say I haven't kept up with John... There's GOT to be a way for you to reach him, though. The "specialty" of I Giullari was in fact southern Italian folk music. I must admit I don't know what other projects John has at this time. I can at least look around, see what I can find...
    Victor: since you didn't mention that you reached him --

JTLB's site

I did try to reach him via email when this thread started but never heard back.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

the tarantella features heavily in music from puglia - it's fun now (i love it) ... but i find it a little dark and creepy in its original context.

For the record, I did just receive a most gracious note from John— always the gentleman and warm-hearted artist I recall from my previous professional association with him. I look forward to catching up with one of his live performances eventually, and warmly recommend the same to all others. To speak of John's performances is one thing; what ~really~ counts, of course, is to attend one.

Cheers,

Victor

I just received this book the other day -- ordered from Barnes and Noble. It seems very interesting -- already learning some tunes. The music of southern Italy is one of the main areas of music I am very interested in learning.

My only complaint is that I wish there were MORE musical selections.

i picked this book up almost a year ago,last month i started playing around with it..this is a really good book..and for someone like me,trying to learn to read notation..the cd comes in very handy...i can see how it should sound...great book..
    "Enjoy every sandwich." Warren Zevon

Facebook
    Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    here are 72 Italian folk dances (""Monferrina, Sbrando, Courenta, Valzer, Polca, Mazurca, Saltarello, Saltarella, Tarantella etc", both from the North and the South) in ABC format. I second the recommendation on Martin's link to the folk dances. Fun stuff to play. It would be a worthwhile exercise to just get them all over to standard notation. The Sbrandos always put me in the mind of the Godfather movies, for some reason.

Mick
    I've put this ABC file into a PDF and would be glad to post it or send it to anyone interested- PM me.
    I also recommend ABC Explorer (http://abc.stalikez.info/abcex.php/) as a free, easy to use program to display, print AND PLAY THE AUDIO of these ABC files. Being able to play the audio has made them a lot more accessible for me. Much easier to pick out which ones I want to work on. Quadriglia di Abruzzo is perhaps my favorite.

Here's a link to the Matteo Casserino mp3 and PDF scores - - i think these are terrific.

And I also **heartily** recommend Sheri Magnino's CD of PDFs. Well worth the $ IMHO.
    http://www.brucezweig.com/music/matteo/

Chriss: I think you can post pdfs right here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by chriss View Post
    Quadriglia di Abruzzo is perhaps my favorite.
    I could not find that in the file. I see a few Quadriglias but nothing of that name. Do you have a number for it in the file?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quadriglia di Abruzzo is index #8 in the ABC file, or at least the one I'm working from. I'll post the ABC file if anybody wants but I'm pretty sure it's the same one the link above goes to.

Jim thanks for the hint on posting attachments... here's the PDF of the ABC file.

For Jim and anybody else who might get into it, I'd appreciate it if you'd come back online and post which tunes you're enjoying. There are so many that I've struggled to get thru them all and find more that are worth developing, and I'd like to know which ones other people are enjoying.
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Italian ABC's CZ-72..pdf