Thread: Blake's March -musical notation

Default Blake's March -musical notation

Anyone have a music notation version of "Blake's March" by Norman Blake.
    I'd find that helpful in working on the tune.
    Nick Royal
    Santa Cruz, CA

Blog Entries

Default Re: Blake's March -musical notation

Wow. Seems to be very hard to find. I checked The Session, they don't have it, and I went over to Fiddle Hangout and they can't find it either.

I will poke around a bit.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Here you go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blake's March.jpg 
Views:	1173 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	108605
    Last edited by Mike Black; Oct-25-2013 at 5:56pm. Reason: Added Chords

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike Black For This Useful Post:

Thanks Mike.
    I am playing the piece pretty much by ear, but having some music to look at, in spots, will help.
    Nick

Norman can be tricky that way and when you finally see it in notation you're like, well that is just the coolest little run .....

Still trying to embedd walnut river, 3rd street gypsy rag, and Nancy's Hornpipe

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Wow. Seems to be very hard to find. I checked The Session, they don't have it, and I went over to Fiddle Hangout and they can't find it either.

I will poke around a bit.
    Can't .tefs be converted to musical notation?

This is the version I'm learning from. It's in D. Does anyone have notation in D? The G notation posted by Mike Black above doesn't fit this version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ftp...lyChamberMusic

That’s not Blake’s March. It’s The Constitution March.

Teacher, repair person

The tune that Stringalong linked to is indeed "Constitution Hornpipe," which is in "Ryan's Mammoth Collection," which was also printed in the now out-of-print "1000 Fiddle Tunes" published by M.M. Cole Publishing, often called "Cole's" by us older folks. Norman learned it out of Cole's.

There are many dozens of good tunes in Ryan's, which is the same book as Cole's but in larger print. I believe that Mel Bay is still printing Ryan's.

Mike Black's version of "Blake's March" is pretty close to the way Norman recorded it, although I believe that Peter Ostroushko played mandolin on the recording and Norman played guitar. I also believe that the 3rd and 4th beats of measure 7 should be "F#-G-A-F#" rather than "E-F#-G-E;" at least, that's the way we always played it. If you want it in D, someone can transpose it.

Every time I have heard Norman play it on mandolin, he played it in G. For quite a few years, he has handled the first part a bit differently.
    I believe it was a fiddler who first started playing it in D, perhaps 15 or 20 years ago.

Bob Chuckrow
    a.k.a. "St. Elmo Slim"
    Norman's accompanist on the "Flower From the Fields of Alabama" album.

BTW, Norman has a birthday coming up on March 10. He will be 83.

"Norman learned it out of Cole's" ?

I do have a reprint copy of "Cole's One Thousand Fiddle Tunes" 1967
    I do not see Constitution March in there.

I know Norman and James Bryan noted that book as the source of many tunes they recorded, its possible the version I have is not the same one Norman has.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Teacher, repair person

My mistake. The Constitution Hornpipe in Cole's is a different tune.

Here is the Constitution March in D from a fakebook compiled by the late Fletcher Bright, crediting James Bryan as the source. I don't know where James found it. He has collected and learned many tunes from old sheet music, "tutor" books, and 78 rpm records. I cannot find it in any published source that I have.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0001.pdf 
Views:	188 
Size:	566.6 KB 
ID:	191914

Several of us have indeed gotten many tunes out of Cole's/Ryan's; and also out of Peter Kennedy's "The Fiddler's Tunebook, 200 Traditional Airs;" and "The Old-Time Fiddler's Repertory," volumes 1 and 2, by R.P. Christeson, which some folks call "The Missouri Books." Note-- the chords in the current Mel Bay edition of "The Fiddler's Tunebook" series were added later and were poorly done.
    Last edited by rcc56; Feb-10-2021 at 3:48am.

Thank you everyone, especially rcc56 who sent Constitution March in D. It's early morning now where I am so I'll have to try it later. I've been playing it successfully with the YouTube version I sent the link for, but it's a hard one to remember.

The notation in D is not at all like the mandolin version in the link I sent. I love the Constitution March, but I gather from the discussion that Norman Blake is not the composer, and that nobody really knows the source of Constitution March?

On "Far away down on a Georgia Farm" the tune is listed as "traditional" , Norman did talk about visiting radio stations through out the South East, and pouring through old 78 recordings of various fiddlers, learning many tunes by ear that way.

He of course could have learned it from someone else he picked with.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Teacher, repair person

Who knows the original composer of any of the 100+ year old tunes??
    They were passed down from one player to another, over and over, and often changed a little as they were passed down. That's the nature of the folk process.
    The books came later, starting in the 1880's or 1890's.
    The best we can do is to locate the oldest surviving printed or recorded source, and we cannot do that very often.

I can think of two tunes off the top of my head that are known to have been played at least as far back as the late 18th century: Soldier's Joy and The Girl I Left Behind Me. The names of the composers are buried in obscurity.

The version of Constitution that I posted works well enough, if you justify the meter on the pickup notes. Fletcher never did quite understand using 1st and 2nd endings to fit pickup notes into the meter.
    Last edited by rcc56; Feb-10-2021 at 12:20pm.

Quote Originally Posted by stringalong View Post
    The notation in D is not at all like the mandolin version in the link I sent. I love the Constitution March, but I gather from the discussion that Norman Blake is not the composer, and that nobody really knows the source of Constitution March?
    Not to be disrespectful but it seems pretty close. There may be a few notes different here and there but that is folk music.

Tune names change over time, some musicians can't remember the name so it might be renamed for that player or the names misheard. In any case, my friend Andy has done quite a bit of research on tune origins. Here is what he said about "Constitution March" cross referenced to a scottish tune called "Willie Was a Wanton Wag":

WILLIE WAS A WANTON WAG. AKA and see “Clare(s) Dragoons,” “Constitution March.” Scottish, American; Polka or Scots Measure. USA, New England. D Major. Standard. AABB (McGlashan, Miller & Perron, Kerr): AABBCCDDEEFFGGHH (McGibbon). The tune appears in the McLean Collection published by James Johnson in Edinburgh in 1772 (pg. 24‑25), the McFarlane Manuscript of 1740 (where it is ascribed to William Forbes of Disblair), and Robert Riddel's 1794 Scotch, Galwegian, and Border Tunes (set by James Clark). The first publication however (according to A. Fleischmann), was in Daniel Wright’s Aria Di Camera: A Choice Collection of Scotch, Irish, and Welsh Airs (London, 1727). It was the original tune for the American campaign song “Jefferson and Liberty” penned by ornithologist-painter Alexander Wilson. In early American collections it can be found as “Constitution March,” while in Ireland it is a polka called “The Clare Dragoons.” Kerr (Merry Melodies), vol. 3; No. 378, pg. 42. McGlashan (Collection of Scots Measures), 177?; pg. 6. McGibbon (Scots Tunes, Book 1) c. 1746; pg. 12 (includes variation sets). Miller & Perron (101 Polkas), 1978; No. 19.
    As you can see that tune has been around a bit as far back (and possibly further than the 18th century) and got named in various ways.

Some versions in notation here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hello, Jim Garber, wowee! Your friend Andy certainly did a tremendous amount of research about the origins of Constitution March aka many other names! Thanks! I'll post this at my YouTube channel, which is Marian Drake42 channel on YouTube.

Here I am, playing Constitution March with the drumbeats created by BoxCarJoe! I even posted Andy's research on my YouTube version, thanks to Jim Garber.

https://studio.youtube.com/video/DE66kTF_rDI/edit

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Hey string along, you posted a link to your video in the YouTube studio edit mode - link won’t work that way. Post a link to the video itself, I’d surely like to hear it!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Hey string along, you posted a link to your video in the YouTube studio edit mode - link won’t work that way. Post a link to the video itself, I’d surely like to hear it!
    Okay. See if this works! Thanks for asking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE66...=MarianDrake42

Constitution March is a neat tune ! Think I will learn it !

Cool! A great tune for a yankee1! We support the Constitution!

25. The following members say thank you to stringalong for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by stringalong View Post
    You can find the sources for thousands of tunes at https://tunearch.org/wiki/TTA
    Constitution March is in multiple 18th century collections under the name "Willie Was a Wanton Wag.