Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Eastman "Logo"

Registered Person

just calls it like I sees it

Quote Originally Posted by (David M. @ Feb. 25 2005, 15:17)
    The next 4 are NOT from me, but from my buddy in Georgia who isn't a member of the forum (yet). #I turned him on to it because he's building guitars now and understands inlays and instruments. #Plus, he's the best graphic designer I know. #These are only a few of his ideas.

Enjoy.
    I have neither the skill, nor the equipment, nor the creativity to add an entry, so I offer my vote.
    My vote so far is for David M's #1. on page 4.
    It's simple and distinctive. It has a light airy look to it as well as a sense of movement, not to mention recalls the flags on a 1/32nd note. Pretty quick pickin' if you ask me. It also has a modern look to it and has enough substance to show plenty of your favored jewelry. Abalone, MOP, Gold Nugget?
    "If you've got time to breathe, you've got time for music," Briscoe Darling

Quote Originally Posted by (OdnamNool @ April 25 2005, 02:06)
    So, EastmanGordon...

With bated breath we anxiously await your annotation...
    So....OdnamNool
    Where's this highly touted design of yours you've been obnoxiousing about? I'd like to see it. Must have some 'bug' feature to it. Could you post it here?

And for goodness sakes, eat a CERTS®

Here's an idea:

John

Quote Originally Posted by (TommyK @ April 28 2005, 14:40)
    So....OdnamNool
    Where's this highly touted design of yours you've been obnoxiousing about? #I'd like to see it. #Must have some 'bug' feature to it. #Could you post it here?

And for goodness sakes, eat a CERTS®
    HAH! #"Highly touted!" #Yuk, yuk... #As usual, I'm just tryin' to add a little fun to the whole scenario... #That's all...

I don't know how to post stuff... #However, if Eastman Gordon wanted to post my UNBELIEVABLE, INCREDIBLE, RIGHTIOUSLY RIGHT ON design... #That'd be fine with me... #I'm sure you'd all agree... #IT'S COOL!

My breath is...................fresh!............

EastmanGordon wrote: "... just might fill the bill."

that's got potential - bill

Better hurry. I saw a guy at the jam tents at Merlefest with the Eastman logo taped over with electrical tape like the Dawg's Loar
    Jeff A

Is it too late to enter?

Here's what I have come up with. Gordon, I'll send these in to you -- hope it's not too late.

There are more:

View peghead logos in new window

John

Just to clarify, these ain't mine. They're from my buddy, Brooks, but I think you all have figured that out.

Make sure we all keep in mind some important design traits that need to be considered when judging:
    - is it legible?
    - is it elegant?
    - are proportions, symmetry, balance, contrast all being considered and are they well thought out?
    - creativity? or, does it look like every other inlay out there?
    - can it be routed and inlaid?
    - does it relay the correct image of the manufacturer?
    - does it make an impression to the public (users, sellers, MAS types like me, etc.)?

I'll not relay my preferences here. Some of these designs speak for themselves and very much fill all requirements in my book. Some do not at all.

Good luck to everybody who had the gumption to enter. I was too lazy, so I'm a poor excuse.
    -
    David Mehaffey
    -------------------------------
    ...I wonder how the old folks are at home...

One last thing: I think we should all hold our opinions or votes unless Gordon asks for an official voting poll. That's my opinion. Hopefully Gordon is not allowing all these plugs to sway him or his team who is selecting. Now, after saying that, I hope I haven't stated my choice in past posts
    David Mehaffey

Maybe Jim Olson has the right idea.
    Jim

Jim who?
    David Mehaffey

I’m the proud owner of a new 615.

I would appeciate any feedback on my logo design.

Thanks

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastman_Logo.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	8970  
    Mike Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by (TommyK @ April 28 2005, 14:22)
    Quote Originally Posted by (David M. @ Feb. 25 2005, 15:17)
    The next 4 are NOT from me, but from my buddy in Georgia who isn't a member of the forum (yet). #I turned him on to it because he's building guitars now and understands inlays and instruments. #Plus, he's the best graphic designer I know. #These are only a few of his ideas.

Enjoy.
    I have neither the skill, nor the equipment, nor the creativity to add an entry, so I offer my vote.
    My vote so far is for David M's #1. on page 4.
    It's simple and distinctive. It has a light airy look to it as well as a sense of movement, not to mention recalls the flags on a 1/32nd note. #Pretty quick pickin' if you ask me. #It also has a modern look to it and has enough substance to show plenty of your favored jewelry. #Abalone, MOP, Gold Nugget?
    Not the least of which that it's unmistakable from the 10th row (maybe even the back) of Ryman Auditorium.

Here's my logo

Neil

Default Re: Eastman "Logo"

Nothing to see here...sorry!
    Last edited by mondoslug; Mar-24-2021 at 3:54am. Reason: mistake

Can you you see it when you're playing so you'll always be aware of it? Will others look at it when you're playing and think 'Oh man, bad logo, uncool dude...'? I suggest this is probably the least significant aspect of your mandolin purchase. But tell me, just out of interest - how did you choose you car?

MOP inlay script logo on my new 615.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	615 Headstock.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	735.8 KB 
ID:	193037

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
    Nothing to see here...sorry!
    Oh, I dunno ... This thread is a riot! I never knew, since it all went down a couple years before I joined.

I wish someone had posted the original logo, the one that started the whole uproar. I also wish the winning entry had been posted. (As well as a lot of the entries, which have disappeared.) The thread just stops, with no conclusion. Not satisfying.

I woke up too early, and couldn't get back to sleep. Was looking for something to read and hopefully lull myself back to Dreamland. This turned out to be quite the opposite, too much fun. Dang! Oh well!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Hahah, well before I edited my comment, I did think that there actually was no Logo Contest Winner...but upon further review it does look like they changed it judging buy the 615 MOP pic above.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Oh, I dunno ... This thread is a riot! I never knew, since it all went down a couple years before I joined.

I wish someone had posted the original logo, the one that started the whole uproar. I also wish the winning entry had been posted. (As well as a lot of the entries, which have disappeared.) The thread just stops, with no conclusion. Not satisfying.

I woke up too early, and couldn't get back to sleep. Was looking for something to read and hopefully lull myself back to Dreamland. This turned out to be quite the opposite, too much fun. Dang! Oh well!

21. The following members say thank you to mondoslug for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by M19 View Post
    MOP inlay script logo on my new 615.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	615 Headstock.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	735.8 KB 
ID:	193037
    Now here's the thing. My humble 305, the cheapest Eastman mandolin on this or any other planet, has the exact same logo as this fine quality 615, except my logo might be mother of plastic instead of MOP. So either Eastman are being cheapskate or they're a real no nonsense, egalitarian style company. Maybe the 615 should have a more upmarket flouncy big hotel style logo, like Red Road's design from about 7 posts above?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Does anyone have a pic of the original logo? It would help complete the story. Thanks!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I didn’t care for the old logo but like the new one a lot. However, I liked the older A-style headstock over the new.

I think a slanting headtsock inlay would have been better and although the font is fine for me, perhaps a little bigger or thicker.

With Eastman I think their F-holes are really good without being great. Their oval holes of years ago looked fabulous but sounded poor. Don;t know if that has changed. Currently I like the look of their MDA 815 Mandola but I think that in all the Eastman F styles, the scooped part of fingerboard extensioin is too long by a good bit. I also don't like the shape of their A style headstocks. Otherwise I think they seem to be consistent in build and sound. I've had a good few. 615 815 814. I think they shuld make one like the Northfield Big Mon. 5% bigger or even more.

Blog Entries

This is a 2004 Eastman Mandolin from Charles Johnson's site, just for clarity in this 16 year old thread someone thought needing to be commented on. Everyone has their opinion. I prefer plain and simple to what too many builders are turning out--massive logos that overpower the entire headstock and leave no sense of artistic balance.

Name:  eastman.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  93.2 KB