Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gypsy Gyppo String Band

Default Gypsy Gyppo String Band

Anybody have a copy of the Gypsy Gyppo String Band Lp ( Bay 209 ) they would like to sell or info on a source for it or downloads from it? Recent forum postings of Clyde Curly and the passing of Warren Argo have got me looking for music from this Nw Coast String Band. Thanks Dan

Default Re: Gypsy Gyppo String Band

I"d love to find a copy, too. The Gyppos and their sound--especially the interplay of Jerry Mitchell's mandolin with the fiddle--were a big influence on my early years of mandolin playing. They were a great band. I'm surprised that LP hasn't yet been reissued, although the recording didn't quite capture the infectious energy of their live shows.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

They were the main string band in residence at Pinewoods American Week I attended many years ago. Great music and great parties too. I PMed both you guys.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks, Jim.

That year with the Gyppos at Pinewoods is legendary. I didn't get there for the first time until a few years after that and folks were still talking about it. As most of the left-coast and NW old-time crowd knows, Warren Argo, banjo player with the Gyppos (and a generally huge presence in the NW traditional-fiddle-music scene) passed away in September. He had a huge heart, and it gave out on him.

Here's a link to a page of memories about Warren: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Warren...42176245826504

And here's a picture of the band--L to R:
    Jerry Mitchell, Jack Link, Warren Argo, Sandy Bradley, Bob Naess (In a later version, Armin Barnett replaced Jack Link.)

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Hi Paul -That's a great picture of the gang. They look young. Very early 70s maybe?

At Centralia in maybe 2009, Jack Link was telling me about efforts to rerelease the album as a cd --- all sorts of probems involving personalities. Then more recently, maybe this summer at Mt Airy or Rockbridge someone told me it was out. But I can'y find any mention of it through Google. If anybody has current info on this I'd like to hear it. I do have the record, in reasonably good shape, and I'd be happy to loan it to someone who can convert it to mp3. Won't be back in Oregon until after the Portland OldTime Gathring but if anyone is interested in "ripping" mp3s from th evinyl, see me at the festrival. - Phil

I have that lp. They were a mighty fine string band. I have also converted it to digital. Since it has not been re-released to cd and therefore would not diminish any comercial revenue, I would be glad to share it with interested folks in the spirit of passing on music in the old time (with a new twist) tradition.

Jack Link showed up at Fiddle Tunes today. Yeah Jack!

You are all aware as well, that Warren is gone from us for some months? Given the age of this post I thought it worth noting. We miss you Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    You are all aware as well, that Warren is gone from us for some months? Given the age of this post I thought it worth noting. We miss you Warren.
    Paul noted above:
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    Here's a link to a page of memories about Warren: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Warren...42176245826504
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I don't know their music, it was probably great, but the name "Gypsy Gyppos" is seen as highly offensive to anyone of Romany ancestry. It's the equivalent of starting a mariachi band and call it the "Mexican Beaners."
    Todd Joles, handyman and aspiring luthier!

San Diego's own Rock Bottom Bluegrass!

Traditional music played without talent!

The greatest band you've never heard!

Todd,

The term "Gyppo" is a an old Pacific Northwest term for an independent logger or woodsman who worked piecework jobs for short pay. A "Gypsy Gyppo" was an itinerant woodsman.

Here's an article about the heyday of the so-called "Gyppo" loggers: http://www.ohs.org/education/oregonh...ubtopic_ID=576

And an excerpt from a scholarly paper:
    http://www.jstor.org/pss/3317385

The term was pervasive and still in common parlance north of the border in Vancouver timber country. There are different theories about the origins, with some (such as the writer in the first article) suggesting that the term alluded to dishonesty, and other suggesting that the origins had to do with the early gyppo loggers using a two-horse system for moving logs--much like the powertrain of an old Roma caravan.

Knowing the band members, I'm sure there was no intended slight, and they were referring to a NW tradition.

That's not to say that the term isn't still offensive to some, but I'm not sure that the current awareness of the potential offense would have been so well known in the early '70s when the band was started. They might not have selected the same moniker today.

I suspect they liked the NW-regional reference, liked the way it sounded, and were making a little pun on the fact that they all swung different "axes" than the original NW gyppos.

FWIW, Jerry Mitchell and Sandy Bradley also play(ed) Balkan and eastern-European music, so there certainly was no bias there, but the GGSB was purely old-time music.

AlB-Warren's passing was noted in the posts back in November.
    Last edited by Paul Kotapish; Jul-25-2011 at 1:53pm.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Paul, thanks for the clarification and the articles.

It does look that originally the logging industry used the name in an effort to draw negative parallels and to show independents as small shirttail/unstable/untrustworthy/fly by night operations. I now remember that I have a friend who grew up in a Gyppo logging family. He once let the term slip in conversation and quickly followed up with that that was just what they were negatively called by the big boys. Still, it doesn't make the use of the names right, it makes it worse.

Speaking as someone who comes from a Rominichal horse trading family, I can't see where the referance to a double team would apply. Vardos/caravans were most often configured to use a single horse, not a team. These wagons were considered very precious and were very expensive. A spooked horse could destroy all your belongings so you walked along side of the horse where you could control their head and rarely moved faster than a walk. Two horses were considered too unpredicatable. They could have been refering to the act of walking along side the team/horse, but most who travelled accross the plains in a conestoga did the same thing.
    Todd Joles, handyman and aspiring luthier!

San Diego's own Rock Bottom Bluegrass!

Traditional music played without talent!

The greatest band you've never heard!

Beats me, Todd. Just passing along what I read. I doubt that anyone was being overly accurate--and I am not aware of any Rominichal Vardos in the Pacific NW, although I could be wrong. There are Basque caravans in Wyoming, so . . .

As with all of terms describing "others," it's rare that a term itself is inherently pejorative. It's usually the cultural assumptions and biases--and sometimes flat-out racism--about any group that taints the term. Linguists and comedians--notably Lenny Bruce--have covered this extensively. A lot of terms we find offensive or inappropriate today were considered perfectly respectable and appropriate when first coined.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Maybe it's time for everyone to lighten up, as the Carolina Chocolate Drops in my neck of the woods have been happy to do.

Gypsy Gyppo. Yeah, great band. I'd snap up a CD if it became available.

Hey Jim,

I remember that year at Pinewoods too. Sandy and her wild crew blew me away with their fun and energy. Made me want to start playing. An inspiring summer.

Quote Originally Posted by chasgrav View Post
    Maybe it's time for everyone to lighten up, as the Carolina Chocolate Drops in my neck of the woods have been happy to do.

Gypsy Gyppo. Yeah, great band. I'd snap up a CD if it became available.
    Hi All,

It is my understanding that the LP The Gypsy Gyppo Stringband has been reissued on CD.
    I am doing a little research to find the CD. So far, no luck, but I know it exists because a local community radio station was playing selections from it. Upon contacting the DJs I learned they had just purchased the CD from a vendor at Clifftop last week. I have contacted the West Virginia Division of Culture and History to obtain a list of the vendors selling CDs. I am waiting for their call back. Maybe I will have some good news for my next post.

chasgrav- I love the CCDs too. It's good to see someone focus on the positive aspects of black culture.

To add to Paul K's comments a while ago, Gypsy Gyppo pretty much just renamed itself ZMO (Zagreb Municipal Orchestra) whenever it went Balkan. Hank Bradley was instrumental in the Balkan side of their music. And I don't rememiber anyone sitting out when ZMO replaced GG on stage - Jack, Bob, seems to me all of them (maybe not Bob) had travelled together to Croatia, Slovenia, and Serbia (it was all Yugoslavia back then), maybe even Macedonia. At Inside Passage, on Th nights, they would routinely do a ZMO set. Can't really remember that far back but it seems to me that Jerry and Jack took the lead, with Sandy on guitar, but maybe Hank sat in on some of those. Those Th nights will live on forever in my memory.

And yes the CD is out.

At the risk of finding out something I really don't want to know, anybody know how's Jack doing?

take care all, Phil Sollins

Yes, John Hatton was selling this CD at Clifftop. I almost bought a copy, but I already have the LP so I passed... It was a home-made affair and I think Jihn said he'd gotten them from one of the band. I've not seen the CD for sale elsewhere. Maybe ask Sandy Bradley?

I'm not sure whether this is a sanctioned source or not, but I was just able to download much of the Gyppo's ouevre here:

http://gypsygyppostringband.bandcamp...the-wagon-yard

This is a link to one tune, though there are many others available on the same site.

Quote Originally Posted by Leverman61 View Post
    Anybody have a copy of the Gypsy Gyppo String Band Lp ( Bay 209 ) they would like to sell or info on a source for it or downloads from it? Recent forum postings of Clyde Curly and the passing of Warren Argo have got me looking for music from this Nw Coast String Band. Thanks Dan

20. The following members say thank you to elwoodan for this post:

Thanks, Elwoodan, for that link! I just downloaded the following 25 items from the Bandcamp site for Gypsy Gyppo String Band (Bay #209):

Ain't Gonna Work
    Ain't No Use
    Big Scioty
    Coot from Tennessee
    Cotton-Eyed Joe
    If I Lose, Let Me Lose
    Jerusalem Moan
    Katy Did
    Let Her Go
    Mama Scolds Me For Flirtin'
    Mansions in the Sky
    Milwaukee Blues
    Mistreated Mama
    Peacock Rag
    Polecat Blues
    Rambler
    Rise When the Rooster Crows
    River of Jordan
    Sea of Gallilee
    Ship in the Clouds
    Single Footin' Horse
    Sporting Cowboy
    The Miller's Will
    White Mountain Reel
    Wish I'd Stayed in the Wagon Yard

Now I'm wondering if there were more tunes/songs on the original vinyl. Can any of you who have it compare the above list with the actual tracks on the LP? It's really fantastic material and I've wanted to have it for a long time!
    Rod Freeland
    Last edited by Rod Freeland; Jan-27-2012 at 1:18am. Reason: format problems

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Freeland View Post
    Thanks, Elwoodan, for that link! I just downloaded the following 25 items from the Bandcamp site for Gypsy Gyppo String Band (Bay #209):

Ain't Gonna Work
    Ain't No Use
    Big Scioty
    Coot from Tennessee
    Cotton-Eyed Joe
    If I Lose, Let Me Lose
    Jerusalem Moan
    Katy Did
    Let Her Go
    Mama Scolds Me For Flirtin'
    Mansions in the Sky
    Milwaukee Blues
    Mistreated Mama
    Peacock Rag
    Polecat Blues
    Rambler
    Rise When the Rooster Crows
    River of Jordan
    Sea of Gallilee
    Ship in the Clouds
    Single Footin' Horse
    Sporting Cowboy
    The Miller's Will
    White Mountain Reel
    Wish I'd Stayed in the Wagon Yard

Now I'm wondering if there were more tunes/songs on the original vinyl. Can any of you who have it compare the above list with the actual tracks on the LP? It's really fantastic material and I've wanted to have it for a long time!
    Rod Freeland
    Not sure if you have figured this out already, but I stumbled on this thread while searching for info on the band while digitizing the LP and there are a couple songs not on the list above.

The Wreck of the Tennessee Gravy Train and Grub Springs

There are also some funny little anecdotes about each song on the back which I can post if people are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by elwoodan View Post
    I'm not sure whether this is a sanctioned source or not, but I was just able to download much of the Gyppo's ouevre here:

http://gypsygyppostringband.bandcamp...the-wagon-yard

This is a link to one tune, though there are many others available on the same site.
    Seems like it is sanctioned at least by one member, Jerry Mitchell:

Gypsy Gyppo String Band
    The band members in 1976 were Jerry Mitchell, Warren Argo, Sandy Bradley, Jack Link and Bob Naess. Jerry Mitchell is beginning a Gypsy Gyppo String Band catalog. Tunes will be added when possible, please feel free to download the tunes and share them. Jerry will be updating and enhancing this site as time allows
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

elwoodan
    Loved "the Peacock Rag"
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Mandotarian View Post
    Not sure if you have figured this out already, but I stumbled on this thread while searching for info on the band while digitizing the LP and there are a couple songs not on the list above.

The Wreck of the Tennessee Gravy Train and Grub Springs

There are also some funny little anecdotes about each song on the back which I can post if people are interested.
    I have a set called Gypsy Gyppo Outtakes which was part of a 1.6Gbytes archive I got called Free Little Birds - field recordings from the 1970s. The track list is

01. 1 Katy Did (01:48)
    02. 2 My Wife Went Away And Left Me (02:41)
    03. 3 I Got A Bulldog (02:23)
    04. 4 Benton's Dream (02:50)
    05. 5 I'll Rise When The Rooster Crows (02:48)
    06. 6 This Morning This Evening Right Now (01:58)
    07. 7 Rocky Pallet (02:31)
    08. 8 On The Sea Of Galilee (02:10)
    09. 9 I Don't Mind Marrying (The Rover) (03:13)
    10. 10 Single Footin' Horse (02:02)
    11. 11 Don't You Hear Jerusalem Moan (03:00)
    12. 12 To My Mansion In The Sky (02:56)
    13. 13 Peacock Rag (02:01)
    14. 14 I Ain't Gonna Work Tomorrow (02:33)
    15. 15 Let Her Go God Bless Her (03:03)
    16. 16 When The Leaves Turn To Brown In The Fall (03:34)
    17. 17 Mistreated Mama Blues (01:47)
    18. 18 Bound To Ride (02:18)

The origin of this material is explained as follows

Jerry Mitchell of the Gypsy Gyppo String Band saw me at the NW Folklife Festival and handed me a CD of outtakes from their vinyl recording asking that it be spread around. While it is of local interest, it has been left in this iteration of the archive so that everyone gets the same material.

If folks are interested I'll create a zip file of the tracks and put them up on mediafire.

Sad news about the passing of Jerry Mitchell--mandolinist with the Gypsy Gyppo String Band. That's three of the original members gone now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jerry Mitchell.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	109846
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net