Thread: Bach Prelude #1 from Well-Tempered Klavier on mandola

bass player gone mando

Default Bach Prelude #1 from Well-Tempered Klavier on mandola

Seems like a natural fit but I can't find any recordings of it. Not the Cello prelude, the Klavier one. Any suggestions welcome.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

Default Re: Bach Prelude #1 from Well-Tempered Klavier on mandola

Well, it is a wonderful piece, but I can't imagine a convincing transcription for mandola. Perhaps mandola/mandocello duo? It goes much too low for mandola alone (even octave mandolin), and I think it would sound pretty poor to have to bring those low notes up an octave. But the key of C is so wonderful on mandola... and mandocello, too. So a duo is what I'd probably go for. As for non-piano recordings, classical guitar is probably your best bet.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Well, it is a wonderful piece, but I can't imagine a convincing transcription for mandola. Perhaps mandola/mandocello duo? It goes much too low for mandola alone (even octave mandolin), and I think it would sound pretty poor to have to bring those low notes up an octave. But the key of C is so wonderful on mandola... and mandocello, too. So a duo is what I'd probably go for. As for non-piano recordings, classical guitar is probably your best bet.

bratsche
    I agree. It's too big a range for one instrument, but like much of Bach's keyboard music, works very nicely if you have a 'cello and someone to play along with.

. . . And, not that it should be admitted on this forum, but it's a pretty easy fit for guitar.

Thinking a little more (and only a very little), playing the prelude on guitar and the subsequent fugue as a guitar-mandola/mandolin duo might be pretty effective.

Looking at the IMSLP page for the piece here, I see that they have a transcription of the prelude No. 1 for solo viola (as well as solo violin, cello and bass viol). That should be playable on mandola although whether it's effective is another matter.

There is also an arrangement of the prelude and fugue for four viols (treble, treble, tenor, bass) and from the ranges of the instruments, that arrangement should transfer directly to mandolin quartet.

Martin

bass player gone mando

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Looking at the IMSLP page for the piece here, I see that they have a transcription of the prelude No. 1 for solo viola (as well as solo violin, cello and bass viol). That should be playable on mandola although whether it's effective is another matter.

There is also an arrangement of the prelude and fugue for four viols (treble, treble, tenor, bass) and from the ranges of the instruments, that arrangement should transfer directly to mandolin quartet.

Martin
    That's interesting, thanks. I may give that a try. It's quite a different arrangement.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

My wife used to play this on the piano all the time, but hasn't for a while. Last night I tried my hand(s) at it on Mandola using the piano score, and it really didn't work for me. (I tried playing up an octave). I think it can be done (by someone with more patience and skill than I possess) but maybe it is better tried with two instruments.

Laurindo Almeida did a version in the '70s with two guitars in his album "Bach is Beautiful", which is out of print, I believe. I have the record somewhere, but I think I've played the grooves off of it. Maybe he tuned his low E down to C on one of the guitars in order to play this, but I'll try to dig the record up and see if I can figure out what he did.

I started to play this on piano after giving up on Mandola. It is amazing how much playing Mandola has made piano playing easier. I haven't sat at the piano in over 20 years, but I was getting most of the notes after two or three tries.
    Last edited by Jack Roberts; Oct-31-2013 at 11:27am.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Here's a version on Guitar. Note the differences.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKyMKzGzXjE
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Roberts View Post
    Here's a version on Guitar. Note the differences.
    "Level: 7, Upper-Advanced" Really? Either the LAGA is a little liberal in doling out assessments of difficulty or I'm better at this than I thought (more likely the former). The arrangement I play is in C, but a bit different than the video and does invert the arpeggio of one measure to leave my E at E.