Thread: Greetings and Questions about "Vernon Powell" Mandolin

Default Greetings and Questions about "Vernon Powell" Mandolin

I'm totally new here ... just getting started on the mandolin but I have some fundamentals down in the violin & guitar. (I understand the principles, just having the fits dealing with the small fingerboard, etc.)

The other day in a local used equipment store I saw an F-style handmade "Vernon Powell" mandolin and it's driving me crazy trying to find out who this luthier is. Naturally I used my best google-fu powers, even tried Bing and eBay search functions and literally nothing is coming up about this person. Does anyone know anything of a luthier named Vernon Powell? He may be based out of Louisiana, that was the most information I could obtain. Every other search is turning up various similar names but nothing to do with mandolins. Some help would be greatly appreciated before I decide to buy this thing or not. You would think there'd be something, but so far nada.

Default Re: Greetings and Questions about "Vernon Powell" Mandolin

Okay ... snagged a couple of photos in the store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0mando-powell1.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	108824

Name:	0mando-powell02.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	108825

Name:	0mando-powell03.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	108826

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

How does it sound? What are they asking for it?

Did you try calling the number listed on the label? It's an ugly beauty and I kinda like the way it looks (almost like a high school woodworking project... rustic, rough and obviously home made... the binding looks awful, but whatever...) but that doesn't count for much IMO... It's all about the structural quality and more importantly, the sound. Did I mention I'm big on the sound? As rough as it is i doubt it has been tap tuned or anything but you never know...

It looks like he was born in 1911 and died in 2001. FindAGrave listing That is most likely the same guy. They list surviving members of his family should you want to contact them.

There are a lot of amateur makers out there and this looks like one. If it is inexpensive enough, it might sound and play all right or it would be a good conversation piece.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Glancing at the photo and knowing nothing about the maker I would venture to guess that it may be his first mando build or a very early one... There are awkward elements to the shape and some awkward carving throughout... But that says nothing about its playability and sound. I just don't think you have found another diamond in the rough. But I have been wrong many times before.

Actually its primative nature could be regarded as an asset.... Some collectors look for instruments by "naive" unsophisticated but enthusiastic amateurs... Maybe you have found one... From that standpoint I kind of like it.
    Bart McNeil

I'll betchya it's a hoss. This mandolin reminds me of alot of mandolins I've played in the past by relatively small and unknown builders at different festivals that I've had the chance to see, hear and play. Some of these were the best sounding mandolins I've ever played so don't be fooled by looks alone. It has a rustic look to it and the scroll is a bit rough but I'll betchyah it plays real nice. Play it and if you like it, looks like a keeper to me.
    Beyond that I've never heard of the name or the luthier. Johnny Adams in Florida used to build some mandolins that were a bit rough looking like this one but boy were they some real monsters...100 pound gorilla sized banjo killers. They had everything volume, tone, projection, just looked a bit rough/rustic and the craftsmenship was a bit off, but I never played a one of Johnny's mandolins that didn't have a very professional sound.
    Kinda looks like it has maybe a Walnut or Rosewood fingerboard and veneer no? I didn't realise my old friend Johnny had a website but here it is...notice the similarities between this one and the ones my old friend builds: http://www.theadamsmandolin.com/mandolins.html
    Last edited by Eric Michael Pfeiffer; Nov-01-2013 at 9:23am.

It's only $100, so I wouldn't expect a whole lot. The unknown name and handbuilt work intrigued me, as almost always the only stuff I find at local stores is factory-made. Other than that, I wasn't impressed with the workmanship and the varnish is a bit unsubtle for my taste.

Here's the most recent mando I've owned ... an Ibanez A-type electro-acoustic. I sometimes plug it into my effect units (shown in the photo), like an electric guitar, and have gotten some interesting sounds out of it. It was less than $200. (Also shown is my goofy looking cheapo electric violin.)

Name:	0mando-eviol-031613a-sm.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	108871

Now, this Gibson Jam Master (A or F) or one of the other family members is something I could get interested in, if I had the bucks.

Name:	mando-gibson-jammasterA.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	108872

Name:	mando-gibsonfamily.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	321.5 KB 
ID:	108873

At $100 it might be tempting (to me). At very least it would be an interesting wall hanger.
    Bart McNeil

at $100 I'd buy that so fast...

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadonkey View Post
    at $100 I'd buy that so fast...
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetickhound View Post
    Me too.

Name:	20211110_195939.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	312.4 KB 
ID:	197443

Sorry for commenting on such an old thread, but I just happened to find this in Ohio yesterday. Paid $25 for this and an old French horn together. I don't see a date, but this one is marked 21, so I'm assuming this is the 21st mandolin that he built. Needs a little work, but I am happy with my purchase. May try to find out some more info about him.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJenkins25 View Post
    ...Paid $25 for this and an old French horn together...
    Yeah, but didja get a gig bag? For either?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Yeah, but didja get a gig bag? For either?
    For $25 all you need is a piece of baler twine to hold it up...