Thread: Advice on a resonator mandolin

Smile Advice on a resonator mandolin

I am shopping for a resonator mandolin and would like some suggestions. I have been playing mandolin for many years (practically daily) and am fortunate to have a great one now so I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to tone, dynamics, playablity and intonation.

I have been shopping resonators on-line because you almost never see one to test drive. I would use this to play anything from bluegrass to swing, jazz or rockabilly and would like to have one I could jam with the horn players down here in New Orleans.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I have so far been looking at National, Regal, Dobro, Beltona and Commodium....Any and all qualified feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Advice on a resonator mandolin

I like my modern National Resophonic RM-1 because the sound is balanced and versatile, but it's pretty heavy and it doesn't really have that classic authentic National resonator tone. It could work very well for what you're doing though.

I own two, both from the 1930's: a National Triolian and a Dobro. They're very different instruments. The National is steel-bodied, larger, longer-scale, with the "biscuit bridge" resonator. It's extremely loud, with sort of a "snarl" in its voice. Its original tailpiece came apart, so it has a replacement. I use it for bluesy stuff mostly, though for a brief period I was using it in a klezmer band.

The Dobro is wood-bodied, smaller, softer; it has the "spider bridge" resonator construction. It has a lovely smooth "ring" in its sound, and is good for less aggressive musical styles. Like many of the pre-war Dobro instruments whose bodies were built by Regal, it's not particularly well-constructed, and it needed a neck re-set soon after I bought it.

Of the new resonator instruments, the National RM-1 seems to get the best reviews. Be aware of the different types of resonator construction -- "biscuit" vs. "spider" bridges -- because they have distinctly different sounds. The RM-1 gets particularly high marks for volume, which could be a major factor if you're planning to "jam with horn players."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I have an RM-1 which I got fairly recently tho I have played a few of them in stores over the years. It seems to me like the best of all possible worlds, playable, not finicky and super loud but with good modern tone as Mr. Corgi describes. I had a wonderful late 1920s silver National single cone silver but it was pretty raucus -- would have been fine for blues, but tonewise was not for other genres. The scale, as Allen mentions, is longer, IIRC about 15 inches. In general I don't think any resonator would be all that welcome in most bluegrass siutationa but you may find a nice lenient set of musicians. otherwise, I would go for that.

One other possibility is one made by Ron Hyde. There is a recent thread about these and one of the Cafe folks bought one. Somewhat less money than the National. I have not played one but they look pretty cool.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

I tried many resonator mandolins and settled on the RM-1. I use it for outdoor gigs or dances, or very crowded venues, and where ever else being heard is a priority. I play fiddle tunes and old timey, and some ragtime, great old waltzes and the RM-1 does them all well.

Its very loud, and the tone is not subtle and complicated. Its a great woodie tone for a res, and a lot less brassy or tinny than the other resonators I tried, but it is a res not a Gibson F4.

Two benefits of the res: One is increased dynamic range. I don't always have to play loud, but its there, and I can really use volume control to be more expressive.

The other is that the volume is for free. What I mean is there is no extra effort to play loud, which means that at moderate jam level volumes you don't need to play hard at all, and so my hands are very relaxed and I have surprised myself how fast I can play when so relaxed.

Downside of the RM-1, well it is kind of heavy, so I need a strap.

Oh and its so darn cool looking that it is much harder to stay anonymous.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Also take a look at Topher Gayle, a builder in Santa Cruz, who makes the "Madonator". His instruments are wonderful and fun to play. His web address is http://tophergayle.com/luthier/mandonators/
    There are Youtubes of Topher playing one, too. Some folks here will recognize one of his customers: John Reischman.
    Diablo F-5 #1 (completed 1-16-2012)
    Diablo F-5 #2 (in progress)
    Kentucky KM-1000 (2009)
    Martin D-28V Custom (2008)

I have seen the Mandonator site. They seem a bit pricy compared to the National so I would expect some benefits in performance or sound. Have you ever played one or does anyone else have an opinion on these?

It seems i remember a discussion of "Fine" resonators mandolins here on the Cafe. Trevor has one on the other side of the pond at The Acoustic Music Company and i'm sure he'd be glad to discuss it with you.

If i remember correctly the Fines have a spider bridge.

Good luck,

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Quote Originally Posted by Stan D'Aubin View Post
    I have seen the Mandonator site. They seem a bit pricy compared to the National so I would expect some benefits in performance or sound. Have you ever played one or does anyone else have an opinion on these?
    I've had the good luck to visit Topher's workshop a couple times. The mandonators sound really, really good, with a sweet mellow dobro-y sound. I hope to get one eventually, but I just can't justify it to myself right now.

I have a '75 Dobro with a spider bridge and a new Hyde with a biscuit bridge. The Dobro has long sustain and a very warm sound, but I'm sometimes hindered a bit by the 10th-fret neck joint. It has a nice, chunky neck, though. The Hyde is a bit warmer sounding than the new Nationals and has a smoother attack. It's incredibly loud and plays like a dream, and also eye-catching.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan D'Aubin View Post
    Yes, I've played a Mandonator and it is seductive and instantly addicting. Could be used in many types of music. That said, I havent played any other resonators.
    Diablo F-5 #1 (completed 1-16-2012)
    Diablo F-5 #2 (in progress)
    Kentucky KM-1000 (2009)
    Martin D-28V Custom (2008)

Here's a rough demo of the RM1.
    Superb build - the neck and action is sublime.

Here's the Fine Resophonics mandolin in Brighton - its a National cone not a Dobro style spider.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmmando For This Useful Post:

Dolamonebeja 

Saw this Tradecraft beauty online recently, but now I can't find the link to the store. Might've been The Mandolin Store but now I can't find it there. It was about $500, iirc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0mando-tradecraft-resonator.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	109350

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    One other possibility is one made by Ron Hyde. There is a recent thread about these and one of the Cafe folks bought one. Somewhat less money than the National. I have not played one but they look pretty cool.
    Mind ... blown.

Name:	0mando-ronhyde1.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	109351

A few more to look at on the Eye Candy Resonator page.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have a steel-bodied Republic modeled after the old biscuit National's. It's MIC, probably out of the same factory that makes the Johnson's and Recording Kings. The main difference is the Republic has an adjustable truss-rod, the others don't. They go for around $500 but you'll have to figure in a good setup to get something playable. Once that's done, they do the job just fine IMHO.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I have a Recording King... If purchased mail order it will desperatly need a good set up so either learn to do it yourself or be willing to pay to have it done.... Mine was close to unplayable when I got it... I like its rawkus tone. It is a surprisingly decent instrument in my opinion, if you like its sound.

Of course the National RM-1 is probably the best resonater for most purposes but its expense was too much for me.
    Bart McNeil

Just purchased a Recording King Reso and as bmac mentioned it does need Setup! Got mine for $200 shipping included , Champagne mat finish. Plan to start on setup when I get back home from work on Monday. I have a few questions. Is there an adjustable truss rod inside the body? What can I do to lower the saddle? Will the saddle just fall off when I remove the strings? Can I sand off the bottom? What strings do people like on these. Any info and opinions are welcome.
    Jim Richmond

Hey Jim - No, the RK and Johnson's do not have an adjustable truss rod. Only the Republic version does and I don't think those are available anymore.

The only 'adjustments' are to the nut and bridge slots. The biscuit is 2 main pieces - a circular part that is held to the cone by a single screw and the upright with the string slots. It's a lot of work getting nice action [best work with the cover off until you get it right] but you need a good set of nut files and a ton of patience. You need to be very careful not to bend the cone while you're working. You cannot sand the bottom off the biscuit AFAIK.

These are longer scale so using regular mando strings applies so much tension the necks have a tendency to bow. I use GHS ultra lights and find they're about perfect on mine.

Enjoy your reso - they're ton's of fun.

- ---==< V >==--- -

21. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Jim 

Thanks Verne, How about a strap button, Body below neck heel work ok? Is there a wood neck block to screw into?
    Jim Richmond

A strap is certainly necessary on any of these... I use a standard leather strap on mine tied to the headstock.
    Bart McNeil

24. The following members say thank you to bmac for this post:

Jim 

I put a strap button on the neck heel and it balances great. More than enough meet to drill into. I have an aversion to tying straps to headstocks on any instrument as I don't like adding all that sideways pull they are not really designed to take.

I thought I'd toss out that there are a lot of people suggesting you buy an expensive replacement cone. While that may add some value, I found the biscuit on mine was made from a soft rosewood whereas the normal recipe is a combination of maple and ebony. The slots were cut wrong anyway, so I had a maple-ebony one made and the difference in tone and volume was significant.

- ---==< V >==--- -

26. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Jim 

I recently heard - and briefly played - a Beltona. A really nice instrument that didn't sound quite as "heavy" (whatever I mean by that) as a National.

D.H.

Here are some options from CMI's 1932 catalog.

Name:	1932 Reso mando.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	109914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1932 Triolian.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	109915
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

29. The following members say thank you to pfox14 for this post:

Stuart Wailing in the UK makes resonator mandolins as well -- li'l guitar-shaped instruments. Here's a five-year-old thread on them, with some Mike-E-provided links to other threads.

Heard a local mandolinist playing one of them, and wasn't overwhelmed, but it might have been his playing rather than the mandolin.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM