Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Line Lessons

Default On Line Lessons

Any recommendations where to find on lines lessons for beginner to intermediate players?

Default Re: On Line Lessons

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mritter For This Useful Post:

5. The following members say thank you to J Mangio for this post:

CathyL 

Mandolinist out of Atl
    Blog Entries

Lots of great online instructors! Only problem is that most are very busy being in such high demand. Pete Martin is great, as is Don Julin. Not sure if they are currently taking students. I am currently taking Skype students and even offering the first 30 minute lesson for free to see if it is something you are interested in pursing.

Let me know and we can set up a time. Also, let me know what style music, and or song you want to work on.

7. The following members say thank you to JRcohan for this post:

CathyL 

I just finished Matt Flinner's Bluegrass Mandolin 101. I have to say I was a little skeptical about the whole online thing but I have always liked Matt's stuff and what he tried to do with Bluegrass College. From the first lesson I was thoroughly impressed. It was presented in a webinar format with two sessions a week(recorded and posted for those that missed one). Every lesson was extremely well organized and thoughtful with a ton of written material that I will be working on for months. While it was online, Matt made himself very accessible to the participants. I really can't say enough about it. I look forward to his next session in January and hope it lives up to my now high expectations.

Todd

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to granite For This Useful Post:

I've been taking Skype lessons for awhile. I think it works best for someone already familiar with music and the instrument. The delay in the signal does not allow both to play at the same time but other than that I have found it very helpful. The instructor will go over something - either I have asked or he has a plan - we work on it a bit and then he sends me PDFs to use for practice. I can email him anytime and send recordings for him to listen to for feedback.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Matt made the entire experience so productive and enjoyable. I signed up for the second session as well.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

12. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Taking the lessons from Mike Marshall at Artistworks. It's a really good program, and Mike is great, both in terms of his knowledge and his personal encouragement.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elliot Luber For This Useful Post:

I agree with Todd. I took Matt Flinner's class and finally found what I was looking for as far as playing bluegrass mandolin. I don't consider myself an advanced player, but Matt breaks things down into steps that are easy to understand. As Todd said, I have access to tons of material which will keep me busy for months. I would highly recommend this class to anyone. I'm looking forward to his next class in January!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to julyorchid For This Useful Post:

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am another happy student of Matt Flinner's Bluegrass 101 class. Highly recommended.

Larry

Agreed. Matt Flinner's class was great. With 8 lessons, and 8 practices you get lots of opportunity to work with Matt and really learn the techniques. Looking forward to the nest session!

19. The following members say thank you to Ken Lucas for this post:

petimarpress.com Pete Martin !

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Has anybody got any experience with these guys (http://www.bluegrasscollege.org)? As far as it reads Matt Flinner and Mike Compton are on for mandolin.
    Olaf

Check out http://www.banjobenclark.com as well. Very well done videos and tabs which come as tef files as well.

Here's another vote for Matt Flinner's course. Matt's a great teacher

Blog Entries

If anyone is interested Matt Flinner's next course begins Tuesday, January 7, 2014.

Quote from the course description:

"The course will focus on a few main areas:

1. Improving picking technique to improve tone, rhythm, volume and speed.
    2. Improving knowledge of the fingerboard through scales, arpeggios, licks, double stops, modes and exercises.
    3. Creating variations on common tunes through various methods: using different octaves & registers, using chord tones and “target” notes, using various ornaments, incorporating double stops, and listening to recorded examples.
    4. Working toward improvisation using all of the above tools.
    5. Expanding your repertoire of bluegrass and fiddle tunes.
    "

I have NFI, but will be attending this session series.

Larry

I have been playing (ok...trying to learn to play) mandolin for two years. I started with private lessons from a solid local instructor for 6 months and learned the basics? I now own numerous books and DVDs (and access to YouTube videos) from which I have taken bits and pieces of advice. I even attended the Monroe Style Mandolin Camp last year.......basically learned that I didn't really know enough to be there...........was fun and encouraging just the same. My two younger brothers are very accomplished musicians (one plays bluegrass guitar and......well......one is a banjo player but I am gonna count that!) and when we get together holidays and 2-3 other times a year we play (ok, I mostly CHOP!. Other than that I really have no one locally to play with and progress in my song playing or improvisation ability. I have tried to progress on my own but frankly I don't think I have given fair time to practice (I am a busy Doc and basically play when I can and have "the mood" to do so). However, I now recognize that I, once again, am seeking more "structured learning". The Matt Fliner on-line course interests me very much and I am wonderng if you would recommend it for a "novice" mandoliner? Your thoughts. Thanks.
    Grady F5 (#65)
    Harmony A Model ("The Scorcher")

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. I WILL learn to play this thing !(adapted from Coolidge)

Adam Steffey teaches via Skype. His hourly rate is higher than most (that I've found) but for the bluegrass failthful it will certainly be money well spent.
    Adam's website: http://www.adamsteffey.com/#

I'm currently working through Mike Marshall's lessons at Artistworks. Good stuff and not very hard on the wallet.
    http://artistworks.com/mandolin-lessons-mike-marshall

Its pretty interesting to be doing that at the same time as taking traditional lessons. I have all of Mike's material to dig through which/when/however I want balanced by the structure of weekly in-person lessons from a local teacher along with completely different material.
    Good stuff.
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dubblestop View Post
    The Matt Fliner on-line course interests me very much and I am wonderng if you would recommend it for a "novice" mandoliner? Your thoughts. Thanks.
    The Matt Flinner class is intended for all levels. Ask him about the next session. He is quite approachable.

Larry

Marla Fibish has been teaching a class series at my studio in San Francisco. We have one student from Southern California who is attending the class via Skype. We just put Marla's iPad on a music stand so the camera can see her and I think it's worked out quite well.

Thanks Larry.
    Grady F5 (#65)

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. I WILL learn to play this thing !(adapted from Coolidge)

I bought a couple of packages from BG College and concluded that they are the highest quality ensemble-oriented stuff of any of the online materials out there. Not really focused on theory or technique, but very solid if you enjoy learning by working out song arrangements (like I do). Given the product and the musicians, I'd say BG College is very reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    Has anybody got any experience with these guys (http://www.bluegrasscollege.org)? As far as it reads Matt Flinner and Mike Compton are on for mandolin.

Found this one today; I was pretty much beginner when I bought Sams 1st Homespun tape. It launched me way forward; this workshop has a lot of similar stuff in it, just not as comprehensive as the Homespun tape (well worth the money !) :

32. The following members say thank you to Dobe for this post:

Dobe, My brother and I were at ROMPfest and were sitting right behind and to the left of the videographer. This session was amazing and most memorable. I was amazed at the talent of both but Domenick blew me away! How can that be sitting next to Sam Bush? My impression was that Sam was likewise impressed. I wonder if Domenick has taken lessons from Sam?
    Grady F5 (#65)

Thanks for the links. I have been viewing some of the you tube videos as well as working from some books and will also check out all of these and decide which one to sign up for.