Thread: Straps

need a strap, but can only lay hands on guitar type here and they are too big(mando looks lost ) I am thinking about ordering a couple of spurgeon straps as advertised on the classifieds 1 for me and 1 for my son anyone tried these ( quality etc)
    Ta
    Keith.
    Mountains are holy places
    and beauty is free (runrig)

Get you a Kangaroo Strap from AlanN here on the board.....the last strap you will ever need....do your mando good.

Thumbs up

Loren Bailey has some great little straps too.Only $15.00 and dang comfy too!!!Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

I just bought one from Randy Hogan in the Classifieds and it is fantastic. Only $16 including shipping, all braided leather, very nice. Plus, Randy is a great guy to work with and its for a good cause.

Reply To Ad #12855 at the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds

R Hogan [mando321@valuelinx.net]
    JDSmith

thanks, looked at Loren's straps but would prefer leather, Kangaroo.. well,, $49 is a bit over what I want to pay. Spurgeons are $15 , I've got to think about our OTT import duty and VAT
    Keith

I've recently obtained two types of leather. 2mm brown leather cord and dark brown leather suede. I've made 2 special orders with the 2mm cord. The 2md cord looks good with my double braid and I am toying with ideas for the scroll other than a hangman's noose. I am experimenting with the suede as I type. I think it'll look with a double braid and hangman's noose. Am looking for a good source for roo cord too.

For what it's worth I think the para cord and perlon make a dang good strap. Comfy, durable (rated for 550 lbs), bit a give to it, looks cool. Got em on both my mandos.

Holler at me and I'll work with ya on what you want.

Loren

Collings offers a very nice mandolin strap. Nice soft leather that widens at the shoulder and has a unique scroll strap that also works well for wrapping around under the extension of an A.

To throw out another option -- I've really gotten to like the "softy" straps, which go for between $10 and $15. I've found a couple at a local music store. Non-braided leather, very flexible and light, small when rolled up, and no metal hardware. Works great for when you don't have a lot of extra room in the case, and if you like to feel of a flat strap.

JDSmith is right on the money - Randy Hogan makes a hell of a nice strap, and his price is hard to beat. I love mine, and I'm picky about straps, since I used to do a lot of leather work myself. Frank
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

I made my latest strap, out of 3 boot laces (2 leather, 1 nylon for contrast). It looks and feels great, never loses hold of the mandolin, and cost me about $5 and 20 minutes of work. There is a previous thread explaining this, but basically:

Get 2 packs of bootstraps, look for the longest they make (i think they're 72 inches, but i could be wrong).
    Use this technique to braid the 3 straps (click)
    Use Figure-Eight Knots (click) on both sides, to terminate the braiding (leave an unbraided length of rawhide or nylon on each side for to attach to the mandolin).
    Use a Hangman's Knot (click) on that unbraided portion on each side, to attach to the strap button or the scroll.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

Registered Person

I'm using a Spurgeon with my A, like it a lot. Had to tie my own hangmans noose on it, but it doesn't look as nice as Loren's. Used a Levy strap on my F, just sold that one, though.

Some leather just doesn't lend itself to well to the hangman's noose. I've just chucked the suede I bought today for that very reason. Gotta have a tight noose. Found some roo today online, hope it works out better.
    Loren

Check Greg Boyds site he has some great straps.

Rick

Hi all,
    Thanks for all the feedback, I've just ordered a strap from Randy Hogan, what a gentleman, couldn't have been more helpful ! and the straps look great as well, Thanks again
    Keith.

Personally, I would love to see a nice, braided HEMP strap...
    I am no big fan of leather, and I know there are others like me out there...

Loren's are very nice looking though....The cord is neat-o!

Plus keep an eye out for the occasional offering of the "Dudette" straps by Lauren Dudennbostel in a soft braided leather - I use that on my Flatiron. Nicely done and an inexpensive way to acquire a Dude(tte).
    2006 Duff F5
    2006 Gibson Original Jumbo Historic Collection
    80 year old fiddle of undetermined ancestry

My favorite cheap straps are vintage silk neck ties from the thrift store that I sew a button hole in at the wide end.

The button hole stretches securely over the end pin and I tie the narrow end off under the headstock on my A's. At the scroll on F's.

An old tie is comfortable and gets a lot of comments. A black '24 snakehead with a black 1920's necktie looks pretty damn cool.
    Mike
    1916 A-0 Pumpkintop Paddlehead
    1924 A-1 Blackface Snakehead
    1968 FG-140 Yamaha Guitar
    1992 48K Franz Sandner Fiddle
    www.FreePickin.com

Hey,and inna tight spot it might get ya past some stupid dress code reg. at a local club!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

I recommend Kangaroo hide whenever possible. Kangaroo has much better elastic memory than any other leather. It allows you to pull the mandolin out a bit for the break and when it comes back for chopping it will resume its shape. Other leathers stretch, but they won't return all the way to the original length. The Kangaroo hide also is very tough and lasts a long time. I have one I've used for about 12 years that I made and I know a bunch of guys using some of the straps I made about 12 years ago that are still in good shape. AlanN makes a good strap and I'm getting a couple as soon as I get around to sending him the money. I hate mail.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Thanks Joe (buy my Loar and I'll throw in 2 with the order <g&gt