Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Worst mandolins ever

Right now on ebay - "The Lloyd", apparently made by a Mr. Lloyd. #Ugliest headstock, scroll, & peghead inlay I've ever seen - a true trifecta of ugly. #For sale by the builder, whose description is pretty amusing: "It has been repaired from an instance with my former wife..."

Sorry, I don't know how to make a link but it's worth an ebay search for "the lloyd mandolin."

The back's pretty nice...

I started playing mandolin on a $75 Fender my husband found for me. #I played it for about a year & upgraded to a Weber (then on & on and I'm sure I'm not done buying mandolins yet). #A woman we camp with at Winfield wanted to learn to play, so I gave the Fender to her otherwise I'd probably still have it. #I have a soft spot for that Fender. #
    Karen

I once bought a Harmony Monterey mando off of ebay thinking I might have a vintage backup mando. Wrong! Tried to sell it a couple of times at much less than what I originally paid for it. Finally gave it to a niece who expressed an interest in mando. It was worth every penny paid to see the smile on my niece's face when I surprised her with it.
    Dave

The Lloyd mandolin headstock and logo might look rough, but I think there is a certain rough-hewn charm to it. If my finances were more fluid right now, I might bid myself.
    Gary Blanchard
    Original Acoustic and Electric Music
    http://www.irismusica.net

I agree, i think it's funny. It seems, also, that the guy's ex-wife tried to murder the poor thing.
    Mandolins:
    Mid-mo M11 (#1855)
    Ovation MM68 (#490231)
    New flute CD:
    Wellsprings 2: Joyful!

You never know, of course. Sometime people invent colorful stories to add to the allure. The classic case is the guy with the Beanie Babies.

I do think that headstock is nasty looking, but the guy no doubt made a better mandolin than I could.

I kind of like that Lloyd... The body looks okay... and headstock may not be totally 'it' but its amusing. If his assessment of the tone is accurate, it would be fun... especially thinking about the incident with his former wife. yikes! I might go for it for grins and chuckles...
    but I just bought one from a luthier---- and I'm playing the 'waiting game' now. I need patience... extreme patience....
    HarmonyRexy

The first mandolin I ever had (1978) was a plywood "Columbia" that I bought at the Alameda Flea Market from the instrument dealer known as "Blackie". #Its neck was warped, the top was popping off and curling up, and it made "plain jane" sound flashy. And no, it didn't sound very appealing either. What a complete POS -- it is a miracle I still love the mandolin (just not THAT one). #Last time I saw it was on the garage wall of someone I knew whose wife finally stopped using it as a centerpiece for ugly plastic flowers. #Now is THAT bad, or what?

"It's all good -- even when it's not."

Ah, the "Lloyd" incident with the former wife comment reminded me of an incident when I lived in Afton, Wyoming. A woman was arrested after shooting both her husband, and her boyfriend (one in the rump as he ran away), because they refused to fight over her. It was outside my favorite bar, one of the few that had live music on weekends. Folks there are still talking about that one.

I can only imagine what a "mandolin incident" might be, and what she must have done to it... (notice how I quickly assume she did something to it...) 8*)
    Less talk, more pick.

Here's the LINK
    "If you've got time to breathe, you've got time for music," Briscoe Darling

In 1958,I bought a Gibson L- 5 on which I could not play a note. I just always wanted one of them Roy Rogers type guitars. I made the payments by smoking Bugler roll your owns for a couple of years. One night I came home at what my (then)wife thought was an unacceptable hour. I told her I was sorry. She told me to go look in the back yard at my guitar. She had split the headstock with a hammer. That night,I achieved one of the great triumphs of my life. I did not kill her. Seems like, short of going after the gonads,a common wifey revenge is to damage a man's (musical)instrument.
    Jim