Thread: First Post, hello, and also pics of my mando

Default First Post, hello, and also pics of my mando

Hi
    Andrew from Tasmania here, a quick hello.

I bought my mandolin on ebay a few years ago, and have recently put in some time to get familiar.

I believe it is a 'modified F style'...but the tuners are same a an A (?). As you can see it hasn't taken long for the low budget tuner machine heads to start to fail, thats why there is a L7 key blank soldered on to "E2" ! (Is that what its called?)

I have had to work on the nut and bridge in hopes of playable action. And I have gone to martin strings, so far so good on both fronts.

So far none of the "bling bling" has fallen off!

It's not a permanent solution. am loolking for a pickup equipped mando of plainer style, for everyday use . I am slready seeing signs of fret wear and I play with a couple of groups with all amplified instruments. But I am not really impressed with the new one s I have tried in music shops.

Here she is:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131117_101257.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	109520
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131117_101202.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	109521

Default Re: First Post, hello, and also pics of my mando

Hi Andrew.........welcome to the Cafe..........you'll find lots of knowledge on this site both among members opinions as seen in the active discussions & through visiting the discussion archives where you'll find tons of topics.
    Your mando gas quite an impressive design on the back & the binding & yes.......nice touch with the key on the E string...:-)
    Peace,
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Ferguson for this post:

Greetings, Andrew. Glad you're here.

5. The following members say thank you to Dan Margolis for this post:

Hi Andrew-

Welcome to the 'Cafe. Very attractive mandolin you have there.

Lee

7. The following members say thank you to mandolinlee for this post:

Welcome! A lot of us started on less-than-stellar instruments -- it's the music that counts, though. Glad you've found your way over to the café!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

9. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Yes, another product of Antonio Tsai/Inlaid Artist workshop made in VietNam and sold thru Taiwan. I am glad it has held together for you tho from what I have seen the hardware is the weakest point on these instruments. I suggest getting new brand name tuners to replace those, if you can.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Hello and welcome to the cafe Andrew. Get yourself a great cafe hat and coffee mug and get involved! This is a great place to be on your musical journey. Nice looking mando you got there.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

13. The following members say thank you to Londy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Yes, another product of Antonio Tsai/Inlaid Artist workshop made in VietNam and sold thru Taiwan. I am glad it has held together for you tho from what I have seen the hardware is the weakest point on these instruments. I suggest getting new brand name tuners to replace those, if you can.
    Hi Jim,

This one came from an Oz reseller, it was an introductory special perhaps. I am more wary of ordering from Asia by air. And, I like to think instruments are made by people who knew what they are used for. This was a compromise, the reseller guy seemed to have some idea, and it was still cheap with his markup.

The others I play in groups with say its tone is ok, it seems to be spruce top. New strings have sweetened the sound and after several ever smaller tweaks the action and intonation are now workable. I have had to tap down the first fret which tends to lift, and more keys are cracking.

I have decided it wont be getting any paid repairs, I will solder new keys as required, and play it until a better solution is available. A decent set of tuners is as much as I paid for the mandolin in a hard case, plus I need piezo for bigger venues and for my 80s rock thingy.

Slim pickings on the music shop front here tho'! No one sets them up in the shop, one shop the 3 mando were not tuned...and the ibanez's bridge was snapped/ cracked! But at least I was able to get an idea of the differences in nut widths and impressions of build quality. I am looking second hand.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Andrew_L_Smith; Nov-18-2013 at 6:21pm. Reason: spelling and typos